Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to find this slogan annoying?

(39 Posts)
ArmySal Thu 09-Jul-15 02:03:21

Friend posted it tonight on her Facebook wall.
I've noticed a few different people have put it on theirs recently and the wording is annoying, to me at least.
She's been with her boyfriend for no more than 6 months.
So I told her ''you can't say they're better than a real dad, surely?'' and she now has the hump with me, claiming I have no idea because I've never had a step-dad and nor do my children.
Is it annoying, or do I not understand?

I am aware, of course, that some step-dads are better than the child's own father. Just not all, because they are a step-father.

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 09-Jul-15 02:11:30

It is annoying, and silly, because people are people. Some step dads are great, some dads are great, Some of both are shite. Makes me think your friend is trying to believe or prove something.

VashtaNerada Thu 09-Jul-15 03:18:13

Wow, that's massively insulting to biological fathers! It's obviously different in every family.

ShadowFire Thu 09-Jul-15 07:19:01

YANBU.

Annoying, and insulting to "real" dads who do step up. Some step dads will be better than the biological dad. Some biological dads will be better than the step dad.

Icimoi Thu 09-Jul-15 07:21:19

It must be incredibly hurtful for biological fathers who are non-residential parents through no fault whatsoever of their own.

GoblinLittleOwl Thu 09-Jul-15 07:27:14

Crass.

RainbowFlutterby Thu 09-Jul-15 07:31:44

Very accurate in my life!

FarFromAnyRoad Thu 09-Jul-15 07:33:00

It is annoying. It's clumsy, poorly worded and frankly untrue because it fails to include the word 'SOME'. It's the kind of sickly, ill thought out generalisation that has no place on a cheap card - never mind blaring from the front of a T Shirt.
Why not post a link to this thread on your FB then she can get pissed at all of us too!

fourtothedozen Thu 09-Jul-15 07:35:39

Stupid.

Whathaveilost Thu 09-Jul-15 07:40:38

My friend who is 50 posted this. In her case it is true. Her dad abandoned her and her mother. Her step dad has been around for 45 years and they both love each other to bits.

I think it was her way of appreciating him publicly.

fourtothedozen Thu 09-Jul-15 07:43:45

I is possible to show appreciation without insulting others though.

ollieplimsoles Thu 09-Jul-15 07:43:57

I agree with it, its true in my case. But its a but tacky and posting it on facebook just suggests she is trying to get back at her ex.

fourtothedozen Thu 09-Jul-15 07:46:57

As others have said, some step Dads are crap, some read Dads are crap, some step Dads are great, some real Dads are great.

My own father was amazing, my good friend's step father sexually abused her. There are all kinds of fathers.

diddl Thu 09-Jul-15 07:51:07

That is horrible imo.

And if the kids live with the step dad, well then it's easy for him to be there!

hackmum Thu 09-Jul-15 08:01:58

That is horrible. Of course it will be true in some cases, but hardly in every case. Some biological dads don't "step down" - they would prefer to be with their children. Some step-dads are vile (children are more likely to be killed by a step-dad or mother's boyfriend than by any other person).

Notso Thu 09-Jul-15 08:21:29

I've seen this twice FB and in both cases the Mum had left the Dad because they had being seeing the now stepdad. So it was completely untrue and yet another kick in the teeth for the Dads, I unfriended both of the posters.

Notso Thu 09-Jul-15 08:23:17

hmm being should be been.

popalot Thu 09-Jul-15 08:24:14

It's a message to her dc's biological dad. A bit immature and shit stirry.

thenumberseven Thu 09-Jul-15 08:27:06

YANBU Hate generalizations.
It's implying all non resident fathers have copped out and all step fathers are brilliant

TheDowagerCuntess Thu 09-Jul-15 08:27:42

Step fathers are not superior beings. If a man is a decent man, he will be a good father, step, or otherwise.

Actually, the most dangerous thing that can happen to a child is to have a non-related man move into the family home.

Whenever you read about an abused or murdered child in the papers, it's invariably the step-father. sad

Obvious disclaimer: not all step-fathers are like that...

TheDowagerCuntess Thu 09-Jul-15 08:28:38

X-posted with Hackmum.

roughtyping Thu 09-Jul-15 08:32:08

thedowager hmm no it's not 'invariably' the stepfather. I read more about mothers harming their children than step fathers.

While I agree with the sentiment (from my own experience with DS) it is really crass and obviously meant to make a point.

TheDowagerCuntess Thu 09-Jul-15 08:51:52

I don't think so, roughty - do some googling if you don't believe it...

Samcro Thu 09-Jul-15 08:55:15

yanbu
like a lot of the shared stuff it is crap

Teabagbeforemilk Thu 09-Jul-15 09:01:26

A lot of stuff on fb is bollocks. My step dad ruined our lives. Best day ever when he walked out. So generalising the the title of step dad is ridiculous.

Also its a blatant attempt as shit stirring with her ex.

Besides which, if she has been with this man for 6 months its far too soon to be calling him step dad or to know whether he will actually step up when the honeymoon period wears off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now