Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

AIBU or is this cheeky?

(146 Posts)
Bulldogclip Wed 08-Jul-15 16:58:05

I took some photos at a get together at the weekend. I put them on FB and tagged the people in it. One of the tagged people has used one of my pics as their profile pic without so much as a "like" or asking permission on mine. Lots of their friends are now commenting on their picture that it's a "brilliant shot" and their silence (rather than crediting me) is making people think they took it! This hasn't happened to me before (keen amateur photographer). Am I really going to have to water mark all my photos?!

TravellingToad Wed 08-Jul-15 16:59:23

You're crazy.

Jewels234 Wed 08-Jul-15 16:59:59

YABU. If you have nothing more than this to worry about consider yourself lucky.

MrsHathaway Wed 08-Jul-15 17:00:06

That is cheeky. Comment on it: "Thanks! I'm really pleased with how it came out."

ChuffinAda Wed 08-Jul-15 17:00:24

It is galling isn't it

I'd comment on it in a PA manner 'its great seeing so many people like the photo I took of you. I'm rather pleased with it aren't you?'

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 08-Jul-15 17:00:32

Is it a picture of the person?

0x530x610x750x630x79 Wed 08-Jul-15 17:00:38

i would put a comment in "glad you all like my pic, you can get originals from me"

smellsofsick Wed 08-Jul-15 17:00:51

It's social media, it's a free for all.

Jewels234 Wed 08-Jul-15 17:01:12

Seriously?! People don't think the OP needs to get a life?!

Jackie0 Wed 08-Jul-15 17:01:44

Tagging is sharing.
Putting it on fb is sharing anyway.
The pic is of them ? Or a scenry shit or something?

BeansInBoots Wed 08-Jul-15 17:02:03

I think this is mad!
If you took the photo in a mildly 'professional' capacity, then it should be watermarked.

If it was taken as a 'normal' shot, which by the sounds of it it was- they can do whatever they want with it on fb..

KillmeNow Wed 08-Jul-15 17:02:35

Why not put something on their page to draw attention to the fact you took the photo.

Im not very tactful in writing but something like " Glad to see you using the photo I took at the weekend- Im quite proud of myself too " or something like that.

I dont think its too PA to do this but maybe someone else will have a better way of phrasing it.

Jackie0 Wed 08-Jul-15 17:02:37

Shot !!!!!!!!
Sorry

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 08-Jul-15 17:02:46

Jewels, no I agree, a life needed definitely ! Don't post on social media of you don't want your pictures shared.

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Wed 08-Jul-15 17:03:03

YABU. It's a picture. It's social media.

cuntycowfacemonkey Wed 08-Jul-15 17:03:19

Eh? Does it really matter?

MovingStress Wed 08-Jul-15 17:03:47

I'm guessing it is a picture of them - so fairly obvious they didn't take it?

WorldsBiggestGrotbag Wed 08-Jul-15 17:03:56

Killme if I saw someone post that on someone else's profile picture id giggle to myself and think 'what a loser'

glitteryflange Wed 08-Jul-15 17:04:29

I thought once uploaded to social media you forgo any 'rights'
I could be wrong. Would welcome the proof to prove me wrong.

And if you watermark your pics you are being ridiculous and precious. Lighten up!

fieldfare Wed 08-Jul-15 17:04:32

You shared it on social media and tagged the person in it. The photo is of them. Yabu.

WorktoLive Wed 08-Jul-15 17:04:36

Did you ask their permission before you published pictures of them grin.

Commonasgravy Wed 08-Jul-15 17:04:48

If it was just a get together of family/friends and you took some photos then yabu. I take photos on special occasions / get togethers - friends and family sometimes use the pictures I took as a profile picture and I've never once felt they should need to ask permission :S
Unless the photo doesn't have the person in it and is of scenery ? If so just pop a comment on it if you want to 'claim' it it.

DorisLessingsCat Wed 08-Jul-15 17:05:31

YABU.

Really. You need some perspective.

Samcro Wed 08-Jul-15 17:05:45

yanbu
I often nick my sons photo's but I ways credit him, my friend did the same (even gave him money cos she loved one pic so much)
its rude

AnotherEmma Wed 08-Jul-15 17:06:10

I would just comment with something like "Glad you all like the photo" with a smiley face.
Makes the point without labouring it.

But if they're personal, not professional photos, it's really not a big deal. Facebook is for sharing. If you don't want your photos to be shared or reused, don't put them on Facebook.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now