Talk

Advanced search

To not want someone sitting right beside me in a practically empty cinema

(57 Posts)
daisywellies Wed 08-Jul-15 12:52:38

I was at the cinema last night and there was only a scattering of people around. A couple came in, sat right beside me so I had to move my coat, and asked me to move my arm so they could put their drink in the holder.
Why do idiots do this kind of thing and AIBU to find it really irritating?

aquashiv Wed 08-Jul-15 12:55:31

I find a fart helps in such moments of space invasion.smile.

LovelyFriend Wed 08-Jul-15 12:58:43

good grief how hideous - some people don't have a clue do they!?

They possibly had been allocated seat numbers next to you and are not capable of free thought (our local cinema always makes us choose seat number for the tickets even if there are only 5 people there).

It's quite creepy behaviour IMO.

steff13 Wed 08-Jul-15 12:59:27

That would really bug me.

Jackie0 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:00:19

Aaaargh I would have hated that. Do people not know the unspoken personal space rules ffs ????
Not quite the point you're are making but I went to a thing recently on my own and was asked to move my arm too.
I couldn't figure out why I should actually , I was hardly touching the bloody armrest, and its as much for my arm as hers . people !!!!!

Myfoofneedspruning Wed 08-Jul-15 13:01:24

That would really piss me off !

Myfoofneedspruning Wed 08-Jul-15 13:02:43

Like the fekers who come 10 minutes into the movie and seat next to you so you have to stand up to let them pass

Jackie0 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:03:05

Reminds me of a woman wanting to sit at my table in a cafe when there were lots of empty tables.
Me like an eejit agreed and spend the rest of my lunch break trying to swallow my food while being watched.
It's memories like that that have made me a cold bitch now haha.

Sansarya Wed 08-Jul-15 13:03:06

Definitely annoying and up there with people who come and sit right next to you on a bus that's practically empty!

TinyManticore Wed 08-Jul-15 13:03:23

I would've got up and moved. I've no idea why anyone would do that, but I wouldn't be sticking around to find out. Next thing you know, they've stuck their winky up through the bottom of their popcorn and are waving it merrily at you.

LadyMaryofDownton Wed 08-Jul-15 13:03:51

YANBU I hate that!

The same applies in car parks; park somewhere else Ahole!

angelos02 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:07:11

YANBU. I would've moved if I'd been you grin grin

EvansOvalPiesYumYum Wed 08-Jul-15 13:14:09

Ooh yes, LadyMary. Many years ago, when DD was a tiny new baby I parked in a car park, well away from everyone else as I was having trouble getting the pram/pushchair assembled and folded. Whilst wrestling with pesky contraption in the space next to me, became aware of a lady waiting. I looked up and she started pointing and indicating that she wanted the space I was using to manhandle the pushchair. The car park was practically empty, with loads of free spaces. I still wonder, (22 yrs later) why she wanted that particular spot. I was in a bit of a state and tearful at the time so didn't comment, but flippin' well wish I had now!

Some people can be very odd.

Totality22 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:14:59

Someone did this to OH last week. He took DS to the cinema and said there were about 8 people there when he arrived. Someone came in after him and sat right next to him! Surely you'd sit as far away as possible from someone with a child?

TheHouseOnBellSt Wed 08-Jul-15 13:18:20

Totally why someone with a child? Because they're irritating? grin Mine are anyway. I HATE this OP....I can't even stand someone too close to me in a queue!

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 08-Jul-15 13:19:41

Surely they were just going by their ticket numbers?

TheHouseOnBellSt Wed 08-Jul-15 13:20:40

Giles so who sticks to that in an empty cinema!?

daisywellies Wed 08-Jul-15 13:23:20

No, it was free seating Giles. I've no idea why they needed the seat right beside me. The rest of the row was completely empty as was the row in front and there was one person in the row behind, so even if they liked sitting in the middle of the cinema there was no need to plonk themselves right on top of me.

LashesandLipstick Wed 08-Jul-15 13:23:33

That annoys me too I'd have movec

Gileswithachainsaw Wed 08-Jul-15 13:23:41

The same people who stick to it on an empty train grin

not saying I would but some people are a but anal and maybe they worried about latecomers chucking them out their seats.

depends in how strict the cinema ushers are. ours we are left to find our own seats but been to ones before where your shown to seats

LovelyFriend Wed 08-Jul-15 13:24:37

This is where the great Americanism "Really?" can be very useful.

And teeth sucking.

daisywellies Wed 08-Jul-15 13:25:32

If the tickets had been numbered I'd have been a bit sympathetic as you can be guaranteed a pair of idiots will arrive in after the cinema has started, ignore all the empty seats and insist someone move because they've been allocated J12 and J13.

LovelyFriend Wed 08-Jul-15 13:25:59

Well trains can be different if you have booked seat numbers as you never know when the train is going to fill up and suddenly you are sitting in someones group of 4 prebooked seats

daisywellies Wed 08-Jul-15 13:26:00

after the film has started, I meant.

gabsdot45 Wed 08-Jul-15 13:26:18

My sister lives in Denmark and in her local cinema they always allocate seat numbers. There is no choice and they put everyone sitting together. So you could be in the cinema with 10 people and all 10 are in the same row, and because Danes are very obedient and don't conformist, no one will move to another seat, and even if you did you would probably be told to move back.
Daft I call it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now