Talk

Advanced search

to realise that I've been living in London too long if this seems cheap

(134 Posts)
fridgepants Wed 08-Jul-15 11:55:21

www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34780728.html Just having a look to see what our hypothetical £180k mortgage could buy us, as last time our rent contract was renewed our landlady wanted to charge us £300 more per month for our flat. It'd be nice to have some security and know we'll pay the same year on year, but even if we move out to Zone 6 there's just not a lot that we can afford. On the other hand, we could become minimalists?

paxtecum Wed 08-Jul-15 11:59:52

It's like living in a couple of cupboards.

Top floor with a flat concrete roof will be cold.

BabyFeets Wed 08-Jul-15 12:02:14

That place looks horrible

WorktoLive Wed 08-Jul-15 12:02:30

There's definitely a 'all property is very expensive everywhere and no-one can afford anything' feeling on here, wheras outside London and the SE, you could easily get a 2 bed house in a reasonable area for less than the cost of that flat.

Some places you could get them for much less, so affordable to almost anyone.

BettyCatKitten Wed 08-Jul-15 12:03:12

Its like living in a couple of cupboards grin this!
Flat roofs lead to bad damp ime.

BlueBananas Wed 08-Jul-15 12:03:58

Shut the front door!! £125,000 for a dirty grotty council estate looking 1 bedroom flat!?! shock
You need to leave London! Don't know why people live there!
My 3 bed semi with 2 gardens, a driveway, a kitchen extension & 3 reception rooms on a quiet cul-de-sac 5 minutes walk from a good primary school a good high school a park and a supermarket was £115,000!!
I'm floored by that price I really am!

fridgepants Wed 08-Jul-15 12:04:33

I've been discussing whether we should buy or not with DP, who says we should also think about moving out of London - trouble is, both our jobs are very London-centric, so we'd have to both find something to make that happen, and we're pretty established in our careers at this point so maybe less attractive to employers than someone new. If my job packed up and moved to another city, I'd be more than happy to do it.

I can't for the life of me work out whether the twin beds and the sofa bed thing is the same room. The description suggests it is, but the pictures don't fit together in my head somehow...

fridgepants Wed 08-Jul-15 12:05:31

I think that's a children's play mat carpeting the bathroom floor too.

x2boys Wed 08-Jul-15 12:06:42

You have you could get a nice semi here in bolton for that price!

Altinkum Wed 08-Jul-15 12:07:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pinkdelight Wed 08-Jul-15 12:08:11

Oh my, am I right in counting three beds in that room??

I live quite nearby and agree with the instant 'that's cheap!' reaction - even find myself impressed that there's two hallways, extra space! And truth is, it will only go up in value. My bro bought a nicer but still v small studio in New Cross for around that price a couple of years ago and has already made a bundle on it. God knows where this madness will end...

pinkdelight Wed 08-Jul-15 12:09:30

Also a decent lease length... sorry, I'm not helping, am I?

HarlettOScara Wed 08-Jul-15 12:09:42

Oh my word that's one expensive fugly box.

So glad I don't live in London. I've just bought a 4 bed detached with 1.5 acres and stunning views for under 240K

x2boys Wed 08-Jul-15 12:09:52

think its different wallpaper the twin beds and sofa bed thing so maybe two rooms ?

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 08-Jul-15 12:11:49

You could make that nicer than it currently is though. I'm wondering if you could swap the kitchen round and make it a small one bed with open plan kitchen and living room. No floor plan so hard to tell.

Lilymaid Wed 08-Jul-15 12:12:02

You want to move out to the leafy suburbs of North West Surrey in order to catch this bargain.

NotGoingOut17 Wed 08-Jul-15 12:15:16

People get very offended on here when anyone suggests leaving London so I am not going to say it but I am going to say that I couldn't spend my hard earned money on something like that. My good friend bought their 1st house last year for the same price - a beautiful terrace house with 3 beds, gorgeous garden overlooking fields in a very nice, middle class town in the North West (can you tell I am jealous). I'm not saying move up North, but surely there is a compromise to be had somewhere.

fridgepants Wed 08-Jul-15 12:15:39

I don't want to make money on a 'property', though! I just want to know I can live somewhere indefinitely and won't have to move because the landlord wants to sell up or put up the rent. Also, we can get a cat then. I blame Kirsty Allsopp.

I suppose we could convert one of the hallways with a curtain and the cheapest possible Argos bed and rent it out for £500pcm? When we were looking for our flat I saw an ad for a £700 flat that looked like a converted dentist's waiting room.

QforCucumber Wed 08-Jul-15 12:16:17

fridge are you sure your jobs are London centric?
Other big cities, Liverpool, Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle - would they not be able to accommodate what you both do?
Our 3 bed detatched with garage and gardens in the suburbs in the North East was £160,000 just to put it into perspective.

ShadowFire Wed 08-Jul-15 12:16:27

You could buy a 3 bed detached house with a garage, driveway and garden for £125k near me.

But you couldn't live here and work in London. The daily commute would be as long or longer than a typical working day.

Spog Wed 08-Jul-15 12:17:16

it could be nice but it clearly needs work.
it needs some intelligent floor planning too.
really only suitable for 1 person living alone i think.

fridgepants Wed 08-Jul-15 12:17:39

NotGoingOut - oh, I'd be up there like a shot if they would pay me to do something. Unfortunately, I ended up in London ten years ago becayse my contract ended and I couldn't find anything else. I am keeping an eye out but unfortunately London sucks in certain industries and it's hard to transfer skills/experience to something new.

Spog Wed 08-Jul-15 12:17:57

i blame kirsty allsopp too, OP.

dinodiva Wed 08-Jul-15 12:18:33

I think it's one room - if you look at the wallpaper at the end of the room in the third picture, it looks the same as the one with two beds in it. Also, why else have a curtain in the middle of a room?

I live fairly close to this area too and have been astonished at the rise since we bought our house two years ago - I think this part of SE London is still on the up.

lushilaoshi Wed 08-Jul-15 12:18:58

It looks awful, sorry OP. I left London for exactly this reason: I was working my arse off and earning a good wage, but it would still have been about another four years before I could save up enough for a decent deposit on a grotty one bed in zone 4. Fuck that for a laugh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now