Talk

Advanced search

To admit I've always wanted to be an air hostess?

(211 Posts)
TheTroubleWithAngels Tue 07-Jul-15 21:11:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheTroubleWithAngels Tue 07-Jul-15 21:12:02

wtfisgoingonhere Tue 07-Jul-15 21:19:07

Nothing wrong with that!

If it's any consolation it's not all glitz and glam in real life though smile

BettyCatKitten Tue 07-Jul-15 21:21:29

I wanted to be one as a teenager. It looked so glamorous to me, my dad crushed my dreams by telling me they were waitresses in the Sky!grin

Musicaltheatremum Tue 07-Jul-15 21:23:33

I'm watching airport 24/7 and I love planes. I would love to work in despatch. My brother is a performance engineer and has to do all the calculations to see if planes can land at certain airports and if cranes get out up in the line of a runway had has to calculate to see they aren't too high so planes can get over them if an engine failed on take off. Scary stuff.

TheTroubleWithAngels Tue 07-Jul-15 21:28:23

NorbertDentressangle Tue 07-Jul-15 21:31:50

Betty - my Gran burst my bubble too. I had visions of being fluent in several languages, spending time in exotic locations but she travelled a lot and told me "they're just glorified trolley dollies".

mistymeanour Tue 07-Jul-15 21:38:38

www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3151009/Your-never-old-Granny-reveals-s-travelling-world-meeting-celebrities-getting-marriage-proposals-air-hostess-57.html

Never too late!

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 07-Jul-15 21:45:05

I really couldnt be bothered to put that much effort into my hair and makeup. If and when an airline operates a "pyjamas only" policy - im your woman.

GinUpGirl Tue 07-Jul-15 21:46:31

I've got two friends who have just trained with separate airlines - one BA, one Emirates. Their Facebook photos look like they are having an incredible time!

EatShitDerek Tue 07-Jul-15 21:47:33

Hulababy Tue 07-Jul-15 21:48:31

We are watching the VA documentary too. Dd fancies it at the moment though I suspect the reality isn't anywhere near as pleasant.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Tue 07-Jul-15 21:48:54

grin

morelikeguidelines Tue 07-Jul-15 21:49:42

I don't think it would suit me as afraid of flying blush

Maybe it would help me get over it though....

eatshit that is very funny

WorktoLive Tue 07-Jul-15 21:50:12

I know they appear to be 'just waitresses' and salespeople, but don't they go through some quite scary training on what to do if something goes wrong (ill/dying passenger, hijack, potential plane crash etc).

I don't know the detail, but a friend of a friend was so freaked out by the training course, she quit after about 2 days.

I don't like how they have to follow the airline 'look' in terms of makeup/hair and wear what are usually very ugly shoes <shallow>

TheTroubleWithAngels Tue 07-Jul-15 21:51:11

TheTroubleWithAngels Tue 07-Jul-15 21:52:41

StormBraver Tue 07-Jul-15 21:53:42

Haha ThinkIveBeenHacked I'll join the Sky Pyjamas team too!
Confession time - I joined Instagram just to follow an air hostess blush If you are on there search for Abbey's Adventures, she is an air hostess for Qantas and posts the most amazing photos. I have no doubt it is a heavily edited version of her life but she makes it look very glam and not like work at all.

chinook Tue 07-Jul-15 21:54:11

YANBU. I bloody love it!

maybetomorrow22 Tue 07-Jul-15 21:54:25

I always wanted to be an air hostess,, even had interviews with several airlines but the selection process was tough and very competitive.

Really glad I didn't pursue that avenue now. I do have a friend who worked for Virgin, oh the stories!!!

TheTroubleWithAngels Tue 07-Jul-15 21:55:23

TheHappinessTrap Tue 07-Jul-15 21:58:04

I always admire the travel and effort to look good but would hate being trapped in close fitted clothing, tights and shoes for so long. And I need to be home every day so wouldn't suit me at all!

sciaticasucks Tue 07-Jul-15 22:00:38

I am cabin crew...Please don't say we're JUST waitresses. It's rude to us and to waitresses.
I've been flying for over 20 years and can honestly say I have enjoyed every second of it.
Most people have no idea of the skills and training that are involved in the job.
Amongst many other things we are trained to deliver babies, use a defibrillator, fight a fire at 30,000feet and evacuate a jumbo jet in less than 3 minutes.
I was very lucky to end up working for a prestigious airline which has given me a fabulous lifestyle.
Unfortunately I am on long term sick at the moment and I cannot wait to get back and for what it's worth I've never met anyone who loves their job as much as I do.
I am quite new to Mumsnet and dissapointed to think that people might think it unreasonable to want to do my job. There's actually no shame in it and I do wonder what jobs other Mnetters do to think it's ok to look down on minehmm

EatShitDerek Tue 07-Jul-15 22:01:22

LyingWitchInTheWardrobe Tue 07-Jul-15 22:03:23

I've always wanted to be an air hostess too, my mum vigorously rejected this as a viable job for me saying it was 'glorified waitressing'. She was wrong and, in an act of defiance, I have worn my blonde hair in a air-hostess updo ever since. If I'm feeling particularly rebellious I wear a neck scarf tied to the side when I'm meeting her and what I fondly think is regulation lipstick... grin

I had it all planned... Air hostess then train as a pharmacist for a bit then ultimately either join the SAS or become an anaesthetist... <wistful>

I did none of that. <cries>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now