Talk

Advanced search

To demand a membrane sweep in late pregnancy?

(21 Posts)
Hellochicken Tue 07-Jul-15 18:45:51

AIBU to demand a sweep and if so who shall I ask/ can I pay for one at this late stage?

I am 40+7 feeling physically well/pregnancy no problems. I was due to be induced today. I think the hospital's policy is to let you go until 40+14 but haven't heard of many women getting to that date.

Have had 3 NVD. All over dates. First 2 induced at 40+10 purely for dates. Third time I insisted on waiting to 40+16. On that day was told scan ok, that my uterus was mildly contracting and so chose to book induction for the next day. Waters broke that evening and delivered early hours morning.

So this time they said baby on big end of scale (all previous babies big). They said 40+10 but then looked at calendar (? because of bank holiday weekend) and said how about 40+7. I said ok (my plan was to agree to their plan, but had thought it would be 40+10 or 40+14) and the appointment was over v quickly.

Also I wasn't able to have sweep last week as i couldn't book an apt on the only day I have access to community midwife (work related meeting re:handover of my job/mat leave). The week previous I had asked about sweeps, and she said ring ward at weekend (when I was 40+4). However when I did ring they said it was their policy not to do sweeps only can be done in "community". Today I was due to be called in for induction, but hospital rang this afternoon to say it is too busy and they may ring me tomorrow. So I have missed the community midwife weekly visit again today , I asked on phone if anyone in hospital can do a sweep today, they said no. Feeling a bit emotional on phone pleading for a sweep blush

So the next chance for a sweep would be 40+14. Then I could only be induced at 40+15. It's only 1 day over.

Should I ring tomorrow and demand someone sweeps me instead of pessary?

Ps I've had curry, sex, 3 mile walks and 4 cups raspberry leaf tea for the past 3 days. Trying not to google "induce labour" again.

Cherryblossomsinspring Tue 07-Jul-15 19:00:13

I understand your frustration but I genuinely don't think babies come till they are ready. I had a sweep last time at 40+7 and it didn't do anything other than make me sore and ill. I promise you that you will have a baby before the next week is out.

floatyjosmum Tue 07-Jul-15 19:06:28

Tbh I don't think sweeps are all that. With dc3 I had 3 sweeps - 2 with a midwife and the other by the consultant who all said that my waters were bulging (lovely) and they could have broken them there and then.
It took another week and being induced for her to appear!!

Hellochicken Tue 07-Jul-15 19:29:07

Thank you. You made me think of looking up sweep statistics. I found a summary of a review in 2005 which said routinely doing sweeps from 38 weeks shows no difference overall, but I guess it depends on if individual is ready, but they can't be all that effective.

So probably low chance it would make a difference.

So I prob need to take this out of situation, and decide whether to ask to postpone admission for induction until 40+10 which is Friday as I guess they will not be inducing over bank hol (here) weekend.

BarbarianMum Tue 07-Jul-15 19:34:06

My sweep (done at 41+1) definitely moved things on and thank God as ds2 was huge.

NeedsAsockamnesty Tue 07-Jul-15 19:36:27

I would demand a decent bar of choc and a good book instead perhaps aim towards a decent foot rub.

They are about as effective as a sweep and far more pleasurable

Pepperonipeteczar Tue 07-Jul-15 19:47:46

I've had 2 sweeps now and other than making me bleed and lose my plug/spend the next 24 hours in serious pain with cramps that lead to nothing, sweeps have done nothing for me! I'm 40+5 now and the midwife is coming again in 2 days, she's going to want to do another sweep and I will say yes in hope that this one will work, hopefully it doesn't just end up in more bleeding, cramps but no labour! I'm 2cm Aswel angry

leedy Tue 07-Jul-15 19:59:05

I had two sweeps that did nothing on DS1, he didn't budge for another week (40 + 12, little fecker had no desire to get out...).

DowntownFunk Tue 07-Jul-15 20:01:29

*I would demand a decent bar of choc and a good book instead perhaps aim towards a decent foot rub.

They are about as effective as a sweep and far more pleasurable*

^This

soverylucky Tue 07-Jul-15 20:02:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ladyflower23 Tue 07-Jul-15 20:03:55

I had a sweep and dd was born 2 and a quarter hours later. I was in early labour though. Good luck. End of preg is so hard but it will end eventually (I know it doesn't feel like that now) flowers

thereisnocheese Tue 07-Jul-15 20:08:45

Didn't work for me, but was by far the worst pain related to pregnancy/birth in my case. I'd never consent to another. Hope your baby comes soon!

Purplepoodle Tue 07-Jul-15 20:21:03

I sat on ball rotating from early evening to bedtime, used breast pump as instructions on net then had sex (legs in air after lol). Water exploded next morning - worth a try

Needmorechocolate Tue 07-Jul-15 20:30:02

sweeps worked for me with both DC1&2. I was adamant with DC1 that I didn't want to be induced any earlier than absolutely necessary. I had three sweeps - first two they couldn't reach cervix and I had to fight to have the third but it was third time lucky and he arrived 40+13. DC2 I had one successful sweep at 40+9 and he arrived the next day.

I realise everyone is different and they don't work for everyone but if it's what you want then I would definitely request it again.

TheSoulCakeDuck Tue 07-Jul-15 22:25:33

sweep worked for me at 40+8 still took me 58 hours to deliver though.

sweep was a bit urm....medieval shock

Buttercupsandaisies Tue 07-Jul-15 23:02:03

I had a sweep at 40 weeks exact. It lasted for ages about 15 mins I'm sure!!! But It did start labour pains straight afterwards before I'd even made the hospital car park!

youareallbonkers Tue 07-Jul-15 23:09:32

Babies will be born when they are ready, my daughter was 20 days late and I knew my dates were correct. Unless the baby is struggling what's the rush?

FriendofBill Tue 07-Jul-15 23:14:58

I think YABU to demand.
A request would be fine I think.

WHO say a teen pregnancy is 38-42 weeks. Seems that (like me) you are one of those lucky 45 weekers!

Sympathies flowers

FriendofBill Tue 07-Jul-15 23:15:25

Teen??!
Term. blush

3cupsoftea Tue 07-Jul-15 23:17:07

Give yourself a sweep?

Nromanoff Wed 08-Jul-15 06:57:51

Yabu to demand it. But there a few situations that I think demanding is reasonable.

I was induced with dd because I was very ill. I was in slow labour for 10days with ds. Mw decided I need to go into hospital and be given pain relief so I get get some sleep. Mw at the hospital offered a sweep. Labour started early next morning, he was born the day after.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now