Talk

Advanced search

Honeymoon Party????

(10 Posts)
gonerogue Tue 07-Jul-15 13:06:40

I have been invited to a hen party in September - nothing too extravagant but the organisers have asked that we all buy a gift for the hen for her honeymoon. The budget is a tenner - not much in the grand scheme of things but every little adds up.

We're going out for lunch, then dinner and a nightclub with some secret activity in between and it's about £100 for that, plus drinks.

Is this something new? Gifts for engagement, fine.
Gifts fir wedding, fine
Gifts for hen/honeymoon? Seriously?

susiella Tue 07-Jul-15 13:42:53

Utter madness.

CrystalCove Tue 07-Jul-15 13:45:46

I don't know when the emphasis of hen nights - and it was just a night - changed from having a laugh with a bunch of friends to a regimented plan if diffetent "activities", the costlier the better. Thank god I got married yonks ago.

sparechange Tue 07-Jul-15 13:49:35

I think it is fairly common to bring a token gift for the hen - willy straws/earrings/chocolates anyone...
Maybe this is the organier's attempt to avoid to much willy tat, but I can't imagine the bride will want to lug a load of silly presents on honeymoon with her.
Can you ask if you can all chip in to get her one of those Mrs (new surname) bikinis as a joint present from all of you?

CMOTDibbler Tue 07-Jul-15 13:53:08

You know, I'm a bit torn on this one. Am normally v bah humbug about wedding gumph, but a little gift for the honeymoon is quite a nice idea in an otherwise not too faffy do.
I'd buy a pretty pair of flip flops or a sarong - it'll last longer than a rude named cocktail anyway

Lateswim16 Tue 07-Jul-15 13:56:02

God my ds and his girl are getting married next year and won't even do a present gift list as they think it's grabby.

Glad they were brought up with better manners.

Agree op it's grabby and getting ridiculously ott.

InYearAdmissions Tue 07-Jul-15 13:57:42

I do remember one hen do we went to where we were all asked to bring along a pair of knickers for the bride to be but it was just a bit of fun and she opened them all in front of us and they included things like edible knickers. Not heard of this though...

gonerogue Tue 07-Jul-15 14:19:33

I've been at my fair share of hen parties and this is the first I've heard of a honeymoon party. The wildly straws etc. are usually supplied in my experience.
I don't mind spending money on friends and parties, but the sheer amount of parties is getting to me. I am in the middle of all my friends getting married ( have had 4 so far and another 3 this year).
I like your idea sparechange - will try rally a few other hens for a decent present rather than 10 rubbish ones.

GlitzAndGigglesx Tue 07-Jul-15 14:34:24

So many weddings mentioned on here seem to be about the thrill and money rather than the actual commitment part. It's pretty sad

MrsBobDylan Tue 07-Jul-15 16:45:07

I wouldn't go as asking people to shell out all the time for weddings is obscene.

When I got married it was a massive day. For me. Not quite as significant for my guests. I felt grateful that they gave up their time to celebrate with me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now