Talk

Advanced search

To ask about name tags in school uniform

(27 Posts)
WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Tue 07-Jul-15 11:00:46

Ok, ds is off to big school in September. Year 7.
He is not the most organised of children, and I am not the richest of parents.
I can afford enough uniform for him to be dressed properly. But I can't afford to be replacing lost stuff every few weeks.
Which brings me to the topic of name tags.

Do I just "sharpie" his name on the labels? Or buy him the proper name tags and sew them in?

I don't want to make him the target for bullies over name tags!

DisappointedOne Tue 07-Jul-15 11:02:30

Mynametags are awesome (money back via topcashback and there's usually a free delivery code knocking about as well). They just stick in. No ironing or sewing required. I put them on everything but DD's pants and haven't lost a thing all year!

RufusTheReindeer Tue 07-Jul-15 11:04:28

I use plastic popper type name tags

Just the surname on the disc and then it attached with a little machine and does not come off

They are fab, I'll have a quick look and see if I can see them

They are reusable, and with three children it takes well under an hour to name all their clothes. More like half an hour

I'll take a quick picture of the ones I have

midnightvelvetPart2 Tue 07-Jul-15 11:05:20

I use these for DS who's in year 6:

easy tags

You get the applicator, put a button tag thing in then squeeze over the label & it clicks into place. I'll be using them at secondary school as well.

RufusTheReindeer Tue 07-Jul-15 11:06:56

Is it the same as midnights?

Emochild Tue 07-Jul-15 11:07:42

Whatever you use, make it easy for the staff to see

They aren't looking for named buttons

Either a tag in the neck of sharpie on the inside of the band around the bottom of jumpers -much more likely to be reunited with the owner

RufusTheReindeer Tue 07-Jul-15 11:07:56

Ooh yes it is grin

They are awesome

PerspicaciaTick Tue 07-Jul-15 11:08:33

In primary school, I started with sew-in labels, progressed to iron-on labels and have finally resorted to sharpie. Now DD is going to secondary school we have been told that we must use sew-in labels sad.
However, she has never lost an item of clothing at school so I'm keeping my fingers-crossed that the trend continues.

AuntieStella Tue 07-Jul-15 11:09:02

The popper ones aren't in general use, and IME experience are always overlooked.

Best way is clear name tape (either ironed or sewn) into the obvious places (inside back of neck, inside back or waist) or sharpied in those places (yes, sharpie is fine, but check periodically that it's still legible as they do wear out a bit after lots of washes).

If a lot of stuff goes missing, add a second mark somewhere. Possibly on the outside so it is much harder for it to be snaffled.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Tue 07-Jul-15 11:11:07

I do an iron on on collar / collar label and sharpie on wash label/somewhere else. I use mynametags too.

MrsHathaway Tue 07-Jul-15 11:13:37

I always recommend sew-in labels. I've never encountered strife over the kind of labels.

Inside the collar and inside the waistband at the back. Plain black capitals of the name the child uses eg TOM SMITH not THOMAS DAVID SMITH.

The initial outlay is about a tenner but lasts. Stick-on and iron-on and write-on eventually wear out.

At secondary school, make the consequences of losing stuff very clear. Maybe you'll cover half the cost of replacing something the first time, and he has to replace his own thereafter. Does depend on whether someone loses things because careless or on the other hand dyspraxic or bullied, mind you.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Tue 07-Jul-15 11:17:43

Iron on do wear out eventually. But it was worth it not to spend hours sewing. Swimming badges are trial enough for me.grin

midnightvelvetPart2 Tue 07-Jul-15 11:21:17

That's it Rufus that's it, that's the Dolphin one. A couple of months ago I ordered some more tags & the company emailed me to ask if I would like to switch to the Crocodile one instead, they would send me the new tags & a free new applicator. I said yes & its a lot better than the Dolohin one, no more twisting the thing around. So if they ask you, agree to change smile smile

noblegiraffe Tue 07-Jul-15 11:23:55

Secondary teacher here, I would look for a name written in pen on the washing label of clothes, or the collar, anything in a different place would probably be missed.

Ties are the most likely thing to need a label as kids steal them off each other and throw them around/hide them etc. a sewn in printed label would be good here, as there's nowhere useful to write on.

RufusTheReindeer Tue 07-Jul-15 11:23:57

Ooh excellent midnight grin

Three children, started using them about 7/8 years ago

Never had a problem, only bought two packs of tags and I've not run out yet

going to look for that crocodile one

RufusTheReindeer Tue 07-Jul-15 11:26:10

Just seen emos post

We put them on the wash label or on the items name tag where they are easy to see

Fizzielove Tue 07-Jul-15 11:35:31

I have used these and I highly recommend them.

www.name-labels.com/name-labels-new.php

namechange4this123 Tue 07-Jul-15 11:53:26

I would write name in rather than sew/ iron on.

Not because I'm lazy, but because other mums cut out/ tear off the labels. You can't tear off permanent marker.

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Tue 07-Jul-15 12:02:18

Thanks all.
I have ordered two sets of sew on ones. (Ds and dd).
I will look at those buttons closer later.

And also add some sharpie!

DinoSnores Tue 07-Jul-15 12:27:19

I was going to recommend mynametags as well.

I've colour coded my own children, so the 2yo who can't read yet knows that clothes with the yellow sticker are hers and the green stickers belong to her brother.

I put a couple of labels into school clothes and write his name on with a Sharpie so that labels can be cut out but his name is still there.

crazykat Tue 07-Jul-15 13:45:39

I use a sharpie laundry pen on the wash label, I've only had to go over it once since September as even when it fades a bit it's still easy to read.

I'm not a fan of sew in labels as it takes forever and is too easy to cut out.

Pixel Tue 07-Jul-15 22:19:44

There are loads more choices now than when dd started school, I was thrilled when iron-on ones appeared and I didn't have to spend hours sewing tapes on any more!
However, if there is anyone out there who still uses the traditional sew-on tapes that you get with your child's name embroidered or printed on a long ribbon AND you have more than one child, here's a tip I was given.
Have both your children's first names and then the surname, ie 'Janet John Smith', then if you want 'Janet Smith' you fold the tape when you sew it on to hide the 'John' part. Obviously for 'John Smith' you just cut 'Janet' off with scissors.
This means you can order one pack of tape and then you don't have to buy any more when your younger child starts school.

LibrariesGaveUsPower Tue 07-Jul-15 22:24:15

Dino - I know someone who fully colour coded her three. Towels. Pants. The works.

She was quite 'alpha'.grin

FrancesHB Tue 07-Jul-15 22:26:21

I am a massive fab of STIKINS - have been using them for a couple if years and wouldn't go back to anything else now. STIKINS

CherylBerylMeryl Tue 07-Jul-15 22:28:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now