Advanced search

to ask if any of you know anything about universal credit?

(14 Posts)
JustOneMoreSliceOfCakePlease Mon 06-Jul-15 20:25:00

Dh has said he's leaving. I'm a SAHM to two dc's 6 & 2.
Do I apply for individual benefits or is it all universal credit now?
Do I have to actively seek work even though ds is only 2?
I'd be happy to work but have no family to help with childcare and no car to get around so would really have to be something that fitted in with the kids.
Dh will only be having kids once a week for a few hours due to his work commitments.
Will be going to see citizens advice asap but was just after some advice.

JustOneMoreSliceOfCakePlease Mon 06-Jul-15 21:20:50


Notasinglefuckwasgiven Mon 06-Jul-15 21:25:32

Sorry for your situation OP. You should contact citizens advice to find out where you stand. I'd also have this moved to either relationship board or money. Sorry not more help.

Snozberry Mon 06-Jul-15 21:28:10

Universal credit has only started in certain areas in the north west as far as I know. Speak to the CAB they will be able to tell you what's available and how to claim. There is a website where you can calculate what you should be eligible for.

Sorry you're in this position OP flowers

Hadron21 Mon 06-Jul-15 21:28:58

Are you in rented accommodation or are you a home owner?

Snozberry Mon 06-Jul-15 21:29:30 sorry error in link

missymayhemsmum Mon 06-Jul-15 21:33:53

In most areas for people with children and housing costs universal credit hasn't been phased in yet. Go and see CAB.
You need to make it clear to your exDH that he will be paying maintenance for the children, and that as soon as you find work you will expect him to rearrange his life around his equal responsibility for your children.
Well, it's worth a try.

bloodyteenagers Mon 06-Jul-15 21:39:09

Make an appointment with job centre plus.
This is where you will need to make the claims. Claims can take weeks to come through and they won't care that you went cab first.
If renting you will also need to get an housing benefit form from your local council.
Make sure you get receipts for all forms and id handed in, this will be your proof if anything goes missing.
Contact tax credits if you are claiming about a change in circumstances. This can be fast tracked by help from job centre.

JustOneMoreSliceOfCakePlease Tue 07-Jul-15 22:03:28

Universal credit is in my area I have just checked so I'm assuming I will be applying for that. Does anyone know what point I will have to start actively seeking work? Is it once ds is over 5?

bloodyteenagers Tue 07-Jul-15 22:38:21

You will be expected to attend interviews to say how you expect to return to work.
Over 3 to start taking steps to get into work including training and interviews.

LurkingHusband Tue 07-Jul-15 22:52:42

Universal credit is **ed:

JustOneMoreSliceOfCakePlease Tue 07-Jul-15 23:08:26

Hoping to start training next year once ds starts nursery 2 days a week so that would be fine. Still not told the kids he's leaving. He's away on business a lot anyway so they're none the wiser at the minute. No idea how I'm going to tell dd sad

TheCatsFlaps Tue 07-Jul-15 23:13:38

Although UC may be in your area, you can only be required to claim if you meet the "gateway conditions" which are too long-winded to explain here, otherwise you can claim a legacy benefit (e.g. income support as a lone parent with a child under 5). Some areas have, however, gotten rid of the gateway conditions, so it may still be UC. Feel free to PM your postcode and I can tell you in confidence.

Silverdaisy Tue 07-Jul-15 23:22:13

It's a complicated situation, as he has not left yet. My area has now migrated families onto UC, but as others have said others places have not. I would call income support and try start a claim there, they will ask relevant questions. As recommended previously turn2us have an online calculator which is quite helpful.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: