Talk

Advanced search

Smoking and others eating outside

(225 Posts)
OrangeRhinoInTraining Mon 06-Jul-15 19:52:43

So today DC and I were out in our local town doing some shopping. We bought some sandwiches for a picnic lunch in the park but when we got there the gate was locked (don't know why) so we found a bench on a little street and sat down in the sun to eat. After a few minutes a lady sat down at the next bench, lit up a cigarette and made a phone call. The smoke and ash were blowing back at us so when she finished her call I explained, she apologised and moved to a further away bench. Another lady then sat down, lit up and the same thing happened again (it was quite breezy). I again explained but her attitude was 'so? I'm outside'. I explained again that we were eating, her ash was going in our food and did she think that was acceptable? She said she was nowhere near us (was less than six feet away) and anyway, she was outside. She did move to the other end of bench, glared at us a few times, then walked off once she'd finished her cigarette. WIBU to point out the situation? Is it acceptable to smoke wherever you like outside, even if others are eating nearby? (DC are 3 and 1 if that's relevant)

Hassled Mon 06-Jul-15 19:55:09

Well it's unacceptable but it isn't against the law, so while I can completely see your point, you don't really have a leg to stand on.

In my smoking days I'd stand ridiculous distances away from other people - friends took the piss about how far away from them I'd stand, but I'd hate the thought of my smoke getting on/in other people.

YouTheCat Mon 06-Jul-15 19:55:37

As a smoker, I would never deliberately light up near young children or people who were eating. If they arrived after I had lit up and tutted at me that would be tough though.

I, generally, don't smoke near people anyway.

ScOffasDyke Mon 06-Jul-15 19:56:06

Yes, it is acceptable. Smokers were banned from inside, so you reap what you sow

PotOfYoghurt Mon 06-Jul-15 19:58:12

I wouldn't like it either, but I probably would've asked to switch benches with her so that she was downwind.

downgraded Mon 06-Jul-15 19:58:13

On its fucking horrible, but others are right, you can't do any thing about it hmm

Unforeseen side effect of the smoking ban is that it's now impossible to sit outside and enjoy the sun without being enveloped in a fog of poisonous smoke.

Ban it completely.

Anerak Mon 06-Jul-15 19:58:28

Do not come to the Netherlands if you're worried about that. No one cares and it's fucking annoying and unhealthy

alittleegglayonaleaf Mon 06-Jul-15 19:59:32

Totally agree downgraded ban ban ban - good for no one

BankWadger Mon 06-Jul-15 19:59:50

People are dicks sadly. No thought about how invasive their carcinogenic smoke is.

Mintyy Mon 06-Jul-15 20:01:37

Ffs! Yes, it is acceptable to smoke outside. You weren't even in a pub garden or outside a cafe, just on a bench in the town centre.

Nasty habit, but it is acceptable to smoke outside and you need to move if it is bothering you.

WhatsGoingOnEh Mon 06-Jul-15 20:02:30

When you all pushed for smoking to be banned indoors, where did you all think we'd smoke?

Funny how these threads only ever appear on nice sunny days. None of you seem to moan when we're smoking outside in winter and you're all eating inside.

Tough, I'm afraid.

YouTheCat Mon 06-Jul-15 20:03:34

If we're banning smoking, can we ban all those big cars, churning out carcinogens as well then? hmm

morethanpotatoprints Mon 06-Jul-15 20:04:00

I think she was rude tbh. Fair enough if she had been there first it would have been tough.
I smoke and try to stay away from people who are eating.
Sometimes it isn't always possible. I lit up outside a pub the other night and these people who must have ordered food inside a while back came and sat right next to us and their food was served straight away.
I finishe the cig and didn't light up again until they had all finished

OrangeRhinoInTraining Mon 06-Jul-15 20:04:53

I would happily have offered to swap if we weren't right in the middle of eating - moving all our stuff while restraining a hungry one year old would not have been pretty! grin

PtolemysNeedle Mon 06-Jul-15 20:05:59

These women were inconsiderate, but you have no more right to sit on the bench to eat than they have to sit on the bench to smoke. It's not relevant how old your children are. They did move when you said it was bothering you.

LashesandLipstick Mon 06-Jul-15 20:07:17

YANBU but a lot of people are arseholes and won't move

LashesandLipstick Mon 06-Jul-15 20:08:20

WhatsGoingOn err how about in your own homes? If you want to smoke fine don't inflict it on others.

OrangeRhinoInTraining Mon 06-Jul-15 20:09:33

But this situation has nothing to do with the ban - she was just walking along and sat down, not forced to be in outside area of pub/cafe etc in which case I would agree, it's not pleasant for non-smokers but an inevitable by-product of the ban. But should that mean that smokers can light up wherever they fancy without giving any consideration to who's nearby? Oldest DC did then launch into their 'why smoking is bad' spiel in quite a loud voice so I suspect we spoiled her fag break as much as she spoiled our lunch! grin

msgrinch Mon 06-Jul-15 20:10:06

I won't smoke near young children at all and will put a fag out if for that reason. I don't smoke whilst walking along. I wouldn't have done what they did if I saw you were eating but it's not illegal and it's personal choice. So I'm on the fence.

Mintyy Mon 06-Jul-15 20:10:52

I'm sorry but I think you are being unrealistic (and a wee bit precious).

MamaLazarou Mon 06-Jul-15 20:11:18

Horrible but there's nothing you can do, unfortunately sad

Scholes34 Mon 06-Jul-15 20:12:06

You can't stop the smokers smoking where they were, but people on here have unanimously acknowledged that it's a horrible, unsociable habit. So, why do they want to do it anyway?

WhatsGoingOnEh Mon 06-Jul-15 20:13:54

Smokers can hardly "light up wherever they fancy"! It's basically the street, pub beer gardens, and some restaurants' outside tables. That's it.

If you choose to eat with your kids in one of those 3 areas, secondhand smoke is a risk. If you don't want that risk, eat in one of the 50 billion places where smoking is banned.

gamerchick Mon 06-Jul-15 20:14:37

I would have lit up another one.

Bugger off inside if it bothers you.

ThursdayLast Mon 06-Jul-15 20:14:56

YABU.

That woman was within her rights to sit and smoke where she liked confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now