Talk

Advanced search

To think today's Royal Christening is deliberate mind-fuckery timewarpery?

(391 Posts)
Foxypaws70 Sun 05-Jul-15 23:03:27

It's all so ... 1948? ... mummy pushing the heirloom pram, George's historical fancy dress outfit, the Norland Nanny in her starched uniform, the crown jewels font shipped in from the Tower, the fawning sycophantic voice-over on the BBC helpfully sharing with the little people the details of George's internal monologue ... It still is 2015 is it? Haaaaaalp!!!!! I thought these were the new wave modern Royals? confused

WorraLiberty Sun 05-Jul-15 23:06:00

Should they have run their choices past Mumsnet first for approval? confused

SirPercyPilkington Sun 05-Jul-15 23:07:36

Wait a minute...there's a Royal baby??

AuntyMag10 Sun 05-Jul-15 23:08:40

You seem awfully affected and angry about this confused

CardinalRed Sun 05-Jul-15 23:09:52

How does it affect you?
Their baby, their choice.

southeastastra Sun 05-Jul-15 23:10:40

lol that doesn't suprise me, off to look at daily mail

maddening Sun 05-Jul-15 23:10:41

Surely lots of families have traditions - nostalgia is often roused when you have a baby - especially to a family steeped in traditions.

LineRunner Sun 05-Jul-15 23:10:48

I do get the red shorts flashback angst though.

MrSlant Sun 05-Jul-15 23:10:51

It's all just a brand. Makes the UK a tonne of money every year.

knackered69 Sun 05-Jul-15 23:11:09

Was he christened today then?

CultureSucksDownWords Sun 05-Jul-15 23:11:13

I didn't watch any of the coverage because I don't particularly care or mind what they do at the christening of their child. Not watching is a great strategy to avoid getting het up about what other people do.

msgrinch Sun 05-Jul-15 23:12:18

There's a button on your TV, if you press it, it turns it off. Use that next time something offends your eyes. That way you don't need you judgey pants chaffing your personal areas. hth

southeastastra Sun 05-Jul-15 23:12:53

it's like the cammomile lawn

HoneyDragon Sun 05-Jul-15 23:14:32

Should they have run their choices past Mumsnet first for approval?

Of course they should've Worra. That's why we're here grin

SirChenjin Sun 05-Jul-15 23:15:00

It's what brings in the money OP grin. I'm with you though - it's another world, like the Land That Time Forgot

WorraLiberty Sun 05-Jul-15 23:15:04

Exactly the same here Culture

DH and DS were watching sports for most of the day so anything I know about the christening, has come from people posting on MN to criticise it.

I wonder how their kid's christenings went down with all and sundry and if they'd be pleased to see people slagging them off confused

I can see it now. "AIBU to think it was rude that people on Facebook, slagged off my baby's christening and called it old fashioned?"

Cue tons of people saying, "YANBU, tell them to fuck off and mind their own" grin

SylvaniansAtEase Sun 05-Jul-15 23:15:49

The newest cyber lizard has been inducted into the halls of the shapeshifters.

honeyroar Sun 05-Jul-15 23:16:39

Lol, I just watched the news and thought that Mumsnet was going to wet it's knickers over the Norland nanny' outfit, never mind George's, and voilà, the threads going already!

Fatmomma99 Sun 05-Jul-15 23:17:11

Christening????

Baby?

Royal family????

I'm so unaware!

Dowser Sun 05-Jul-15 23:21:34

I know where you are coming from foxy paws. I just find it all makes my blood boil when there are now so many underprivileged people in this rich country of ours.

People living on the streets. Food banks. Disabled people being stripped of the ILF. Seriously Ill people having what little money they were getting in benefit taken from them via organisations like ATOS/ maximus etc. not much in the way of unskilled jobs. Thie pervasiveness of fear that is far worse than any terrorist threat

And then you get the most privileged family in the land and a peek into their privileged lifestyle and I think....something's not right here.

I can't go on. It's just too upsetting.

elfycat Sun 05-Jul-15 23:21:59

So they got out the second hand pram, old fashioned and possibly second hand clothing used. And no new sparklies?

Outrageous! Where's my tax money going?

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 05-Jul-15 23:22:12

I want to know what happened to the christening gown that survived from 1841 until Edward's son used it. Now there's a replica. Is that brought up at Christmas when too many dubonnets have been taken? You ruined great great granny's christening gown you useless thespy twit?

HaleMary Sun 05-Jul-15 23:23:06

Yes, they are a posse of criminally-useless, reactionary anachronisms. Their style choices don't bother me, and I'm sure they're harmless enough individuals, but the monarchy is Not Good.

Though the surreal bit they put on the 10 o'clock news with Catherine Wales or Cambridge or whatever struggling along up a hill to the church in heels with an enormous pram was quite funny.

SirChenjin Sun 05-Jul-15 23:23:28

Yeah Worra - 'cos if someone posted about their Christening with the heirloom pram, their son's historical fancy dress outfit, the Norland Nanny in her starched uniform, the crown jewels font shipped in from the Tower we'd all be saying "tell them to fuck off". Like hell we would - it would be "stealth boast much", "what was the purpose of this thread" and "did you mean to be so rude when there are people who are about to have their benefits cut"

grin

NewFlipFlops Sun 05-Jul-15 23:27:15

I quite enjoy seeing the odd news item that isn't about violence and mayhem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now