Talk

Advanced search

to wonder where people get this expectation that they are entitled to drive round in cars, polluting the planet.

(187 Posts)
totallybewildered Sun 05-Jul-15 22:56:37

How did it become an automatic right to drive round everywhere. Do people do it just because they can afford it? Does anyone avoid it for he sake of the human race, and the planet? I know some people have little choice, but many people who do have a choice, drive anyway.

ghostyslovesheep Sun 05-Jul-15 22:59:29

I can't be arsed walking - I drive to the end of my drive to put the bin out - in my 78758978937 ltr 4X4

IUseAnyName Sun 05-Jul-15 23:03:07

I guess it's always been the norm for most to geow up with a car and then have one themselves as an adult.
I lead quite a sheltered life though and live in middle of knowhere, and I struggle without a car as I would be stuck in my local small village, or get the bus somewhere but be stuck there as I realise that there is no bus back (i have done this and had to walk 2hrs home blush)

StarsInTheNightSky Sun 05-Jul-15 23:04:12

I drive a huge pickup truck, its necessary for where we live which is extremely remote (not in the UK). Also we have three enormous dogs and a toddler DS, I need the space! Plus I am THE most important person in the world (well, second to DS of course) so my needs and desires come first grin.

PurpleDaisies Sun 05-Jul-15 23:04:27

It is a legal activity with no yearly mileage limit. Public transport is expensive and inconvenient so driving is almost always easier. Unless there are changes to the law or significant rises in motoring costs people will continue to use their cars. I try to walk where I can but it isn't always possible.

paddypants13 Sun 05-Jul-15 23:04:32

At the same time people started to think they were entitled to get in my way on their pedal bikes and in their hybrids when I'm driving my 4.7 High output V8 4x4 which I pay road tax to use.
biscuit

IUseAnyName Sun 05-Jul-15 23:04:54

If i lived in a city with tegular bus route and trains I would probably still own a car but only use it for dar away outings/day trips. Or just hire a car when needed.... This is what my aunt does, who lives in a city but want to visit my mum out in the sticks.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 05-Jul-15 23:05:14

I've been a veggie for 30 years and I drive when I need to. Vegetarianism is sound ecological ta.

BishopBrennansArse Sun 05-Jul-15 23:05:28

Have you ever tried pushing 2 wheelchairs at once, OP?

MarchLikeAnAnt Sun 05-Jul-15 23:06:01

Maybe they don't want to stand for an hour to work on a cramped dirty bus with a smelly armpit in their face.

ilovesooty Sun 05-Jul-15 23:06:07

I have to do it for work. No driving licence, no car, no job.

IUseAnyName Sun 05-Jul-15 23:07:23

I think if people wanted to do something for the sake of the human race and planets they should limit the amount of children they have. Over population is a much bigger environmental problem than cars

southeastastra Sun 05-Jul-15 23:09:00

you have to pay for it

i'd like to know how people have an automatic right to be arseholes and they can do it for free! with no tax paid!!

Murfles Sun 05-Jul-15 23:09:14

hmm biscuit. Try living very rural OP. Then you'll understand the need for a 4x4 as well as tractors and quads. Others who don't live rurally actually need to drive to get to get to work where there is limited transport links.

Finallyonboard Sun 05-Jul-15 23:10:45

Really? Same with flying, mass production, owning a home etc. Much of what we do is bad for the planet. Why focus specifically on driving?

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 05-Jul-15 23:13:18

So you're an able bodied, city dwelling, UK holidaying, tent dwelling, vegan are you OP?

MagratGarlik Sun 05-Jul-15 23:14:53

I used to live in London and had no need for a car. In the rest of the country, a car is a necessity for most because public transport is shit (and even more expensive). If the government wants people to use cars less, they must invest in the infrastructure to ensure there is a viable alternative.

Personally, I couldn't do my job without being able to drive. Probably a good job then that I ride motorbike which is more environmentally friendly (but even more frowned upon) grin

MountainDweller Sun 05-Jul-15 23:15:00

Um, probably because we do not all live off the land and thus need to travel around, and because there are many many many places where there is no public transport hmm

OwlinaTree Sun 05-Jul-15 23:15:40

Need a car to get to work. So does dh. We'd be severely limited to where we could work and live without the cars. I doubt we are very unusual.

CoolWheelsPan Sun 05-Jul-15 23:17:01

oh we all know that the majority of car journeys are pretty short and damaging. We are def. a 'car culture' and all the madness that ensues.
A massive proportion of car trips can be walked, public transported or by riding a bike. But it often isn't done through laziness and snobbery.

Car usage is up there as an icon of how self-damaging humans are.

pieceofpurplesky Sun 05-Jul-15 23:17:30

To get to work in public transport I would have to leave home the night before as the first bus would not be in time to catch the train to work .... I prefer to spend my nights at home with da and drive the 12 miles rather than take a 12 hour 25 miledetour!

totallybewildered Sun 05-Jul-15 23:20:57

some people may have good reasons for driving, but some of these reasons are just very selfish.

GiddyOnZackHunt Sun 05-Jul-15 23:23:55

Which reasons are selfish then?

SurlyCue Sun 05-Jul-15 23:24:06

some people may have good reasons for driving, but some of these reasons are just very selfish.

I suppose you grow your own clothes and only eat spiders? hmm

BigChocFrenzy Sun 05-Jul-15 23:24:20

I gave up my car in 2000, because I find it more enjoyable and convenient to cycle / walk / jog, so I wasn't motivated by helping the environment.
I regard commuting as stressful and a waste of time, so I've always organised things to live within a few km of work and gym, with safe routes.

However, that's only practical because I've no family and I'm lucky to be very fit. Anyone disabled or with small DCs or elderly parents would find car journeys much easier. Public transport is often impractical in rural areas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now