Advanced search

to ask where you can go in Birmingham to get a debt management plan

(18 Posts)
Libbity Sun 05-Jul-15 08:19:19

trying to get the DD of a friend some help with her debts - usual story of too much going out and not enough coming in.

Think if she can get help from a non charlaton organisation she'd get on top of things but just can't find a number to give her. Anyone know about this stuff?

listsandbudgets Sun 05-Jul-15 08:22:06

Google step change (used to be cccs). They are a national charity dealing with these issues. You have to be careful with the commercial companies as theor fees can be quite high

Unescorted Sun 05-Jul-15 08:22:47

call the debt management advice service.

Also advice on here

ilovesooty Sun 05-Jul-15 08:24:20

Agree. Stepchange - all done by phone / online.

RaskolnikovsGarret Sun 05-Jul-15 08:30:41

Echo the others, don't go to any of the commercial organisations - you can get the same service at Stepchange etc for free.

twofingerstoGideon Sun 05-Jul-15 08:31:19

link to Step Change

OP, please tell your friend there is no need to pay anyone for advice or help. There are lots of companies that will 'manage' debts for a fee, but there are organisations that do it absolutely free. Your friend should make sure that every penny she's repaying goes to creditors and not to a bunch of shysters trying to make money out of the misfortunes of others.

Good luck!

chewymeringue Sun 05-Jul-15 09:04:15

As above. A family member used these people and they were fabulous. You obviously have to work with them but she did and paid off a large debt relatively painlessly once she was organised.

Elysianfields Sun 05-Jul-15 09:13:13

Birminthan settlement. Been around for years, free and fab.

guinnessgirl Sun 05-Jul-15 09:17:55

There's also Christians Against Poverty, you can find out where your nearest centre is and book an appointment by calling 0800 328 0006. They are free, and do home visits smile

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sun 05-Jul-15 09:36:29

There's a service where I live called two Pennies but I'm just south of Birmingham

sunseeker66 Sun 05-Jul-15 09:42:23

Stepchange are really good, I highly recommend them.

crazykat Sun 05-Jul-15 09:45:42

I'd use stepchange. They have an online form you can fill in with all income and outgoings and gives you the best option for the circumstances. Then she can phone up and talk through it with someone who can access the form (with permission) and set up payment plans or debt relief order, whichever is the nest option.

IWannaHoldYourHand Sun 05-Jul-15 12:12:12

StepChange are wonderful. As are Payplan, they're free to the user, but charge the creditors.

WickedCrip Sun 05-Jul-15 12:24:35

I'm surprised no one has said CAB for money advice - they can also look to make sure everything benefits wise is being claimed that can be.

listsandbudgets Sun 05-Jul-15 18:23:22

Wicked the CAB are great but they are very over stretched in the big cities and it can take a while to get an appointment. That's why I suggested Step Change instead.

SolidGoldBrass Sun 05-Jul-15 18:26:18

I use StepChange, they are great.

Libbity Sun 05-Jul-15 22:56:37

Thanks - will pass on all this information. Think it will be lifechanging for her.

Patapouf Mon 06-Jul-15 00:46:46

Your local Citizens Advice Bureau will probably have a debt specialist.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: