Talk

Advanced search

Who was unreasonable here? I'm not sure. A bit long.

(38 Posts)
MythicalKings Fri 03-Jul-15 21:11:57

Yesterday DH and I went on a steam railway trip. Tickets from the DSs for Father's Day. They'd pushed the boat out and bought first class tickets, £20 each more than the regular tickets. The first class coach was full when the train set off, except for two seats. After about 10 minutes a couple came and took those seats and paid for the upgrade. They said it was crowded and uncomfortable in the other part. It was very hot.

There was a stop at a half way station and I went onto the platform to try and cool down a bit. An elderly man and his wife asked me if we were in first class and I said we were. He asked if there were any spare seats and I told him it was full.

We arrived at the destination and wandered about the town for an hour before taking our seats for the return. There were some different people there, including the elderly couple. You can book a return on a later train if you want to spend more time in the town. Then the couple who paid for the upgrade got on and the elderly couple were in their seats. They pointed this out and the man said it was too hot and uncomfortable for them in the other part and they would have to sit there. The couple pointed out that they'd paid extra for those seats and they wanted them. The elderly man didn't offer to pay the extra just said he was sorry but they would have to sit there. Awkward.

The ticket man got on at that point and the paying couple explained what was going on. He told the elderly couple they would have to vacate the seats but if they were prepared to pay the extra £40 he would find them first class seats on a later train. They got off and I'm not sure if they agreed to pay.

DH said that if they'd been in our seats he'd have probably let them have them but I don't think I would. It was very hot and I felt sick anyway and at least there was more room in the carriage we were in.

MN jury - who was unreasonable?

SideOrderofChips Fri 03-Jul-15 21:16:49

The old couple were BU in my eyes. They seemed to be hoping that because they were older that they would just get the seats and wouldn't have to pay.

bimbobaggins Fri 03-Jul-15 21:17:11

I think the people who paid extra for first class seats should be able to use them.

MythicalKings Fri 03-Jul-15 21:21:51

I felt a bit sorry for them but not sorry enough to let them have our seats. It was very hot, even with extra room. I thought they were trying it on a bit.

AndDeepBreath Fri 03-Jul-15 21:23:15

Well ... I hate warm weather, to the extent that I wouldn't go out on a hot day like that, and probably would have felt a bit secretly cross and moaned at home...

BUT I would have moved for an elderly couple, especially if they seemed to be suffering, and stopped them being thrown out. My DH wouldn't even think twice. Isn't that just politeness in that sort of situation? One day we'll be the infirm ones and I hope people are able to be caring to us too... Some things aren't worth the principle of "who paid".

Prepared to be roundly slammed by others though!

EmilyMaitliss Fri 03-Jul-15 21:24:29

I'm with your DH. Life is trickier when you're older <States the bleeding obvious> . They may not have enjoyed good health, dehydration is harder to overcome, could be crippled with arthritis, any number of things, really. Ok they may have been grabby when they were younger but otoh they might have thought that someone with more than their fair share of the milk of human kindness might take pity on them and want to help.
I would feel terrible kicking a little old couple out of a seat for the sake of £40. Mean spirited.

elderfloweriver Fri 03-Jul-15 21:25:17

I think the elderly couple were being impolite

CrapBag Fri 03-Jul-15 21:26:57

I'm with you. They didn't pay for those seats so they shouldn't have been there regardless of their age or the weather. They were BVVVU.

MaidOfStars Fri 03-Jul-15 21:26:59

The elderly people

<gavel>

SchwarzwalderKirschtorte Fri 03-Jul-15 21:28:15

No. The old couple were trying it on.
Age doesn't trump right.

MaidOfStars Fri 03-Jul-15 21:28:33

Plus, bet they have a proper pension and a house paid for with sticks.

--baby boomer bingo-/

MaidOfStars Fri 03-Jul-15 21:28:57

Strike through fail

MythicalKings Fri 03-Jul-15 21:28:59

I should perhaps point out that DH and I are both over 60 as well. If we'd been in "cattle class" I think I'd have asked if we could use the tickets another day.

SanityClause Fri 03-Jul-15 21:29:51

If your DH was so sure the upgrade couple should have given up their seats, why didn't he offer yours?

SanityClause Fri 03-Jul-15 21:30:22

Oh, sorry, x-post.

BertPuttocks Fri 03-Jul-15 21:32:30

I possibly would have had more sympathy with the elderly couple if they had actually asked rather than just helped themselves to someone else's seats.

If they wanted the comfort of first class, they should have done as the ticket man suggested and paid up the extra for a later train.

MythicalKings Fri 03-Jul-15 21:33:07

He didn't because he knew I'd have hit him, Sanity. I'd been moaning about the heat all day.

TwinkieTwinkle Fri 03-Jul-15 21:34:28

To be honest, the elderly couple were incredibly cheeky and entitled. I may have felt sympathy for them and offered them a seat until their entitled behaviour and having to get an employee involved happened. Cheeky buggers.

AmysTiara Fri 03-Jul-15 21:36:56

The elderly couple were rude.

Iflyaway Fri 03-Jul-15 21:38:52

Old age is no excuse for having a sense of self-entitlement.

Klayden Fri 03-Jul-15 21:44:35

Being older doesn't make you except from paying. Maybe they were genuinely hot and feeling unwell but it sounds like they were trying it on.

CrabbyTheCrabster Fri 03-Jul-15 21:48:40

The elderly couple were having a fucking laugh! TWBVU.

MatildaTheCat Fri 03-Jul-15 21:49:39

The old couple were in the wrong. However my very elderly PIL simply cannot tolerate the heat so I guess they might have been acting out of character I doubt it, they were hoping for a free upgrade, might have actually been my PIL.

MadisonMontgomery Fri 03-Jul-15 21:53:29

The older couple were BU. If they had asked if anyone was prepared to let them have their seats in first class & for them to refund the extra that would be one thing - I would swap in those circumstances without hesitation, but just to waltz in & expect other's to hand over their seats is incredibly rude.

Purplepoodle Fri 03-Jul-15 23:12:23

You had already told them it was full and they got on anyway and took someone's seats - totally e titled and grabby. If they were feeling unwell ect they could have easily opened their mouths and asked the ticket man before getting on the carriage

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now