Talk

Advanced search

To find this strange

(38 Posts)
Mymateisweird Fri 03-Jul-15 16:22:29

Friend works full time in a professional role and also works part time evenings and weekends.

It isn't debt, her living expenses are low.

AIBU to find it odd and wonder how she manages it?

DisappointedOne Fri 03-Jul-15 16:22:55

Maybe she enjoys working a lot.

Mymateisweird Fri 03-Jul-15 16:23:43

I suppose she must.

Jasonandyawegunorts Fri 03-Jul-15 16:23:44

She might just like working.

AuntyMag10 Fri 03-Jul-15 16:24:22

Maybe she is lonely?

Mymateisweird Fri 03-Jul-15 16:24:29

Her second job is a minimum wage sort of job by the way - not linked to her professional qualification.

ginghambunny Fri 03-Jul-15 16:24:56

Maybe she has an expensive drug habit?

Mymateisweird Fri 03-Jul-15 16:26:00

Doubt it!

LazyLouLou Fri 03-Jul-15 16:26:10

She is aiming to have a lot of money put away so she can retire early and laugh long and loud at those who squandered their earning potential?

LashesandLipstick Fri 03-Jul-15 16:26:26

I'd find it strange too but maybe she's saving for something? Maybe she likes her job?

Mymateisweird Fri 03-Jul-15 16:28:32

Which one!?

dixiechick1975 Fri 03-Jul-15 16:30:57

How do you know she isn't in debt or her expenses? I wouldn't share that info with anyone except dh. Maybe she is saving for a house deposit.

AccordingToOurRecords Fri 03-Jul-15 16:32:33

Minimum wage job��shock horror��

RepeatAdNauseum Fri 03-Jul-15 16:33:38

I enjoy my job. I'm lonely and I get bored easily and I feel useful and valuable when working, so I'd work evenings and weekends if I'd get paid for it.

I am trying to get through a tough breakup, but I imagine a lot of people could use a distraction. Maybe work is her distraction too.

QforCucumber Fri 03-Jul-15 16:34:37

I did a second casual bar job when I was saving to buy a car and pay for a holiday. Sometimes people like to have a cushion there to not have to rely on getting into debt for these things.

NickiFury Fri 03-Jul-15 16:36:37

Is she single? When I was single I worked constantly. Good day job, evening job in a late night bar. Met tons of blokes and earned while doing it. Win win.

lynniep Fri 03-Jul-15 16:37:22

Shes saving? She enjoys it? Shes lonely? Shes bored?

Goshthatsspicy Fri 03-Jul-15 16:49:11

For someone so fascinated by your friend, you sure don't give much away in your responses op grin
Min wage job?
Heaven help us!

DizzyCow63 Fri 03-Jul-15 16:52:58

I have a friend who does this, all proceeds from second job are given to a sibling who, through no fault of their own, are in a much worse of financial position. Totally amazing person. Friend also enjoys second job as it is much more sociable and with less responsibility than main job so sees it as win win.

If friend is happy, why worry?!

Teabagbeforemilk Fri 03-Jul-15 16:57:30

I have had extra jobs just because I purely enjoyed it. I was waitress 2 evenings a week and had a well paid corporate role during the day. Loved it

Teabagbeforemilk Fri 03-Jul-15 16:58:54

I used it to pay my mortgage. Between that and saving a lot I am mortgage free now. I have started my own business and work from home. I would never have taken the lunge with a mortgage to worry about.

SayThisOnlyOnce Fri 03-Jul-15 16:59:22

Maybe she is gonna buy a dinghy and call it Dignity?

TheAnswerIsYes Fri 03-Jul-15 17:04:39

I was working for a blue chip company in HR and working weekends and a few evenings at Ikea when I was younger. I loved working at Ikea as it was so much fun even if the pay was poor compared to my other job. I met my now husband while working there and he was doing the same. I didn't drink, smoke or do drugs and DH was similar so when we bought our first property (I was 21) we were able to buy a good sized 3 bed in a nice area. We both were able to splash out on brand new convertible cars and go on holiday loads and had agreat social lives as you have a wider circle of friends to do things with after work.

YABU.

QuiteLikely5 Fri 03-Jul-15 17:05:02

No it's not strange it's obvious that she wants money or to be out of the house.

Didn't that cross your mind before thinking she was weird

MrsGentlyBenevolent Fri 03-Jul-15 17:16:55

You can't win in this life. You don't work, you're a scrounger. You work minimum wage, you're not trying hard enough. You work as a mother, you're letting your kids down, you have more than one job, you're weird. Where is the line, exactly?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now