Talk

Advanced search

...to be completely baffled by grades on report

(8 Posts)
grumpysquash Fri 03-Jul-15 12:53:45

My youngest DC is finishing Y4 and brought his report home yesterday. I am used to the grading system where an average child should get a 2b in Y2 and a 4b in Y6, and the subgrades are c,b,a. My older 2DC (different school) have this grading system on their reports.

But this report had grades like 5R and 4S and one of them had a D I think.

Does anyone know this system? There were no notes with the report, just a form to give comments. I have no idea how to interpret it.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ninaaa Fri 03-Jul-15 18:06:21

If it is an English report, maybe R and S stand for reading and spelling?

Not sure about the numbers though, possibly could be the NC levels without the a,b,c sub levels, but achieving level 4 in spelling (average for year 6ish) and 5 in reading (average for about year 8ish) would be unusual, unless your child is exceptionally bright.

Or maybe it means something completely different, scoring grade 4 and 5 on a level of 1-5, 1-9, who knows?!

The D... could be an A-E grade, could stand for Distinction?

School should have explained the system. Is it possible that it came with an explanation sheet that DC has lost/ fallen to the bottom of their bag. Check the bag, then the school website (might be listed under policies) and if nothing then contact the school.

Pipbin Fri 03-Jul-15 18:10:45

There is no real system anymore.
The government did away with them and schools now make up their own.
(Which is massively helpful when comparing schools results or when a child moves schools)

Lilliana Fri 03-Jul-15 18:13:28

I would guess at year 4spelling. Year 5 writing? No idea about the D. All school are coming up with their own systems after the gov scrapped levels and didn't replace them with anything. They should have sent an explanation though.

Floggingmolly Fri 03-Jul-15 18:18:52

There's usually an letter attached explaining very clearly how the system works. Very poor if they haven't done this.

pinkseal Fri 03-Jul-15 18:19:34

Sounds the same as our school. S means they are working securely in the stage, 5r would mean they are ready to start level 5, d means developing.

TokenGinger Fri 03-Jul-15 18:22:09

Life without levels is now coming in to play. Levels are being abolished with the new curriculum introduced last September and now there's a new system whereby they're judged on whether or not they're reaching age related expectations. I'd ask the teache what these new markings means.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now