Using neighbours' drives?

(31 Posts)
Bulldogclip Thu 02-Jul-15 19:55:41

I live at the end of a naice cul-de-sac. All houses have drives, some single, some double. More than half have more cars than driveway space so there are often cars everywhere, but that's for another thread. Neighbours a few doors along were moving yesterday. They have a single width drive that they usually get both their cars on. They had their self drive van on there, so their cars were parked on the pavements along the street. Along with the 4 cars of their helpers. First van load went and those left behind started filling their tiny front garden with the next load. When that was full they started putting stuff on anyone's drive that was empty/missing a car. This went on all day - they obviously had a deadline to be out. At 3pm I went to go and fetch DCs from school and couldn't get out because they'd parked a car (with all its doors open) in front of my drive. They literally stood and watched as I drove over the pavement to get past them. I came back 25-30 mins later and they'd parked their van in front of my drive and dumped a load of stuff (wardrobes, exercise bike, kids bikes, lawnmower etc) on the empty half of my drive! The driver mouthed "sorry" but didn't do much to speed things up. I was going to park on their drive but the new owners turned up with their 2 cars and filled it. So I had to park in the next street over and walk very fed up and hot children, bags etc home. Their shit was still there an hour later, at which point I got a bit cross about it. (My other car is a sports car and I didn't really want people walking around it with bits of heavy furniture!) other neighbours came home at 5,6 and 7pm to the same situation. I overheard 2 of the movers talking and they said it wasn't really on that they were getting dirty looks etc when it wasn't their fault they'd miscalculated how long moving their stuff would take.

So, who was BU?

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Thu 02-Jul-15 19:57:15

I'd have asked them to move their stuff...

iwanttogotothechaletschool Thu 02-Jul-15 20:00:22

I'd have told them to move their stuff...now!

FryOneFatManic Thu 02-Jul-15 20:00:35

The movers were being unreasonable. You should calculate how long you think you'll need. And then double it, to be sure of allowing enough time.

Did they ask you or your neighbours if they could use other peoples drives?

I guess they were trying to keep cost to a minimum, but this was absolutely not on.

Bulldogclip Thu 02-Jul-15 20:00:55

I did, once it became apparent that they weren't loading the stuff off my drive into the van parked across it.

Bulldogclip Thu 02-Jul-15 20:01:21

No, they didn't ask anyone.

DayLillie Thu 02-Jul-15 20:08:50

My ex-neighbours moved out using one of those open lorries used for rocks etc on construction sites.

It didn't arrive until 9.30am

They obviously had not spent the previous days packing, and it took several trips. They were not out by 12pm, not by 2pm when the new owners arrived and not out by 6.30pm when it was getting dark and the new owners were unpacking, whilst they moved the rest into the garage.

They were back for the rest in the morning.

I hope your new neighbours are an improvement grin

Boxoffrogs123 Thu 02-Jul-15 20:17:03

Really can't get worked up about this, it's one day it's not like you had to walk miles to access the house . They have moved , I suggest you move on too ....

FryOneFatManic Thu 02-Jul-15 20:19:35

Actually, when we moved house 8 years ago, we'd been packed, movers had stacked the lorry, we'd locked up and passed keys to the EA by 12:30.

And then spent the next 3 hours sitting around, waiting for the other people to move out.

What they'd done was to have a little truck and had decided to do themselves by driving back and forth across town.

Big mistake. Getting across our town is a nightmare at the best of times due to poor road layout, and we were moving on a day when schools were out and there was a fair in town.

We finally got everything unloaded about 7:30, and DD went to my parents to sleep as we couldn't set her bed up. And the people moving out still hadn't collected everything, it was stacked in the garage overnight and they collected the next day.

Not a good start.

We booked a lorry to move less than 1/4 mile. It simply wasn't worth the hassle to try any other way once we looked at all the options.

Mintyy Thu 02-Jul-15 20:20:30

What boxoffrogs said. They were moving, obviously in a slightly chaotic way. Did it really inconvenience you all that much?

Bulldogclip Thu 02-Jul-15 20:24:05

Collectively, yes. Wouldn't have been so bad if they'd moved their cars to the next street so that we could park at least near our houses. But no, they literally used every spare bit of street for the entire day for their own means.

FuckingLiability Thu 02-Jul-15 20:25:11

It's not a massive issue but sometimes these things just tip you over the edge.

I would probably be irritated normally if it was me but if they'd done it today I might have actually killed them. grin

LarrytheCucumber Thu 02-Jul-15 20:25:29

Don't you get on with your neighbours? Here, people would have talked about it and some people would have offered their drives to help the process along.

redexpat Thu 02-Jul-15 20:28:47

V annoying, but it is only going to happen once.

FadedRed Thu 02-Jul-15 20:29:23

Maybe they'd have moved a bit quicker if you'd offered to give them a hand, rather than watching them and moaning. It was one day and they are gone now. They should had asked for ndn's help/use of drive though, not just used them without asking, and not blocked access.

museumum Thu 02-Jul-15 20:31:57

It's completely a one-off and they're gone now. Tbh I couldn't be bothered getting annoyed about it.

monkeyfacegrace Thu 02-Jul-15 20:33:44

Sorry I think you're being a bit unhelpful too.

It's one day. Moving is a fucking nightmare.

Had it been our street, we'd have all been out helping load and making cuppas.

Tuskerfull Thu 02-Jul-15 20:39:56

YANBU and I can't believe anyone thinks you were, or that not only were you unreasonable but you should have made them tea and helped with the packing. hmm

If they had asked, or even apologised to you, it would be a different story, but as they clearly don't give a shit about other people so why on earth would you help them?

EastMidsMummy Thu 02-Jul-15 20:47:03

They were being unreasonable, but have pissed off out of your life. YABU not to be moving on too.

olympicsrock Thu 02-Jul-15 20:52:01

They were being bloody unreasonable, should have been more organised or put the new buyers off by a few hours not inconvenienced people who had nothing to do with the move.

Bulldogclip Thu 02-Jul-15 20:56:55

It's a very friendly street but these neighbours have done nothing to get involved over the years. We didn't know they were moving yesterday - the sold sign has been up for months. I might have been more understanding had they been slightly more considerate though the day - parking, over revving the van, using driveways etc - but unfortunately I work from home so couldn't go out and skivvy for them all day. hmm

6cats3gingerkittens Thu 02-Jul-15 21:31:03

So pleased you all live in neighbourly paradise. Round here the buggers would have pinched it all if any thing was left near their house and certainly wouldn't have offered tea.

maninawomansworld Fri 03-Jul-15 15:50:41

I think YAB a little bit U.
Moving house is hellish and to be honest I think it is one of the (rare) occasions that you should cut people a little slack.

Don't get me wrong if they had always been the sorts to dump stuff on my drive / park over it etc then it would be war, but on house moving day.... give them a break.

SugarOnTop Fri 03-Jul-15 16:33:46

i can understand why this would piss anyone off........but considering the situation did any neighbours offer to help them move the stuff of their drives? i bet the new neighbours are probably feeling embarassed about it too.

wowfudge Fri 03-Jul-15 16:44:00

And this is why it is a false economy to do your own removals. On the plus side OP, they've gone and won't be repeating the palaver.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now