Talk

Advanced search

To find the 'entrance criteria' for this comedy show v strange

(24 Posts)
sparechange Thu 02-Jul-15 12:31:30

Just spotted a link for a local comedy festival, which includes a special daytime show for 'mums and babies'. Not unusual, because it is a very family area...
Despite the title, when you look at the 'entrance criteria', it goes on to say 'parents and babies', then 'pregnant women' welcome, plus aunties etc and ends up saying "Feel free to bring along as many people as you like, we just ask that each party contains at least one baby or pregnant woman."

I mean, why bother? I can sort of see why they might want to keep it parents/carer plus baby, but you can turn up with a dozen friends as long as one of you is 8 weeks gone?
Why not just call it a daytime session where babies are welcome?

balhamcomedyfestival.com/screaming-with-laughter-to-the-balham-comedy-festival/

chewymeringue Thu 02-Jul-15 12:32:54

I'd imagine it's partly to entertain the babies too or am I way off there?!

sparechange Thu 02-Jul-15 12:35:42

No, it is the same comedians as the evening show, but during the day so you can "See the best acts from TV and the comedy circuit without having to book a babysitter".
They say that it will be adult content, so not suitable for anyone over 1 year or under 16. You just have to know someone who is pregnant or has a baby to get you in!

Purplepixiedust Thu 02-Jul-15 12:38:41

Yep, that's a bit odd to me!

Hexadecimal1 Thu 02-Jul-15 12:39:32

I presume it's so they don't offend anyone, when someone turns up and says "I was babysitting my niece that day and I REALLY wanted to go but the invitation didn't specify aunties so I didn't go!!!"

todayisayesterdaystomorrow Thu 02-Jul-15 12:39:48

It's a mums and babies event, what's odd ???

chewymeringue Thu 02-Jul-15 12:40:18

Yes you'd think they'd discourage great hoardes of people turning up with one pregnant person/baby. Very odd!

flora717 Thu 02-Jul-15 12:42:05

Also ... how will they know? Will poas be the equivalent of a swipe card?

sparechange Thu 02-Jul-15 12:42:40

today
Because it isn't!
It seems that anyone can turn up, as long as they drag one baby or pregnant woman along with them!
And presumably, if 20 people turn up and one of them claims to be 12 weeks pregnant, they have no way of turning them away. They can't exactly ask for proof!

landrover Thu 02-Jul-15 12:46:19

Is it sponsored by a baby company maybe? And they are going to brow beat you into buying a new pram or something?

hibbledibble Thu 02-Jul-15 12:50:57

It seems similar to the 'Mum and baby' cinema screenings, which specify you must bring a baby. Maybe it's so mums won't feel uncomfortable if there baby starts crying during the show?

LazyLouLou Thu 02-Jul-15 13:05:34

Have you ever heard the saying about looking a gift horse in the mouth?

I mean your OP is a weird mix of 1st world problem, paranoia and sheer 'looking for something to be pissed of about' ness.

The offer isn't weird, but your response to it is!

Snozberry Thu 02-Jul-15 13:16:08

Maybe they're worried they won't get enough people if they make the criteria too narrow?

bigchangesabound Thu 02-Jul-15 13:35:05

I think you might find that seeing as it is a comedy show, they were trying to add a bit of comedy to their poster...

Birdsgottafly Thu 02-Jul-15 13:51:02

""Why not just call it a daytime session where babies are welcome?""

Because that's not what it is, it is a special event, were you can turn up with children stress free.

Its just so people don't turn up and roll their eyes/make comments about people/children needing the toilet, having their nappies done, eating, drinking, breastfeeding.

I've known groups of pensioners turn up to family fun days and try to complain about the noise level.

Likewise when there is a "Dogs/pets welcome"" event and people who obviously aren't fussed about animals turn up.

In other words, you're not going to be an arsehole towards who you are surrounded by and will be sensitive about where your smoking etc.

LurkingHusband Thu 02-Jul-15 13:54:37

Maybe it's to avoid falling foul of discrimination legislation ?

SayThisOnlyOnce Thu 02-Jul-15 13:59:53

Do they mean 'we don't want crowds of rowdy blokes coming along to leer at breastfeeding women' and it was the only way they could think of putting it?

I think you should ask them and then report back grin

CactusAnnie Thu 02-Jul-15 14:12:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheHouseOnBellSt Thu 02-Jul-15 14:20:35

Its so they don't get single adults complaining about the audience full of crying babies of course. They just want to be very clear about the type of show it will be.

OurDearLeader Thu 02-Jul-15 14:22:51

It's not odd to me. It'd it was for everybody then it would be the normal crowd and these things get pretty rowdy. Not something I would take a baby to. If it was just 'baby friendly' then you'd get the normal crowds of pissed up teenagers, hen parties and lads out on the booze who tend not to behave themselves very well and it would instantly not be 'baby friendly' anymore, even if they put it on a poster.

sparechange Thu 02-Jul-15 14:31:48

Hen parties and groups of pissed men at midday on a thursday in suburban South London? confused
But even they would be allowed in if they brought a token pregnant woman with them!
I completely get that they are aiming at making it something that appeals to parents with babies who wouldn't want to go in the evening and take the baby along. But they undo a lot of that by saying 'turn up with all your mates'

DoJo Thu 02-Jul-15 14:38:23

They just mean that they aren't expecting everyone to have a child each, so you can enjoy a comedy show with a friend and your baby. I'm not reading it as saying 'turn up with all your mates' so much as 'come and enjoy a show with your friends so long as you have your baby in tow and appreciate that this is a special screening'. Your reading seems oddly negative considering it is clearly trying to provide an 'adult' experience suitable for those with small babies.

sparechange Thu 02-Jul-15 14:41:49

Fair enough, unreasonable be I!

Thinking about the pregnancy exemption more - I went to that place for DH's birthday when I was pregnant, and being surrounded by lots of drunk people wasn't the best amount of fun, so maybe that is why they get a pass?

OurDearLeader Thu 02-Jul-15 16:24:57

Yes, I've been to these sorts of things in the afternoon in suburban South London and people tend to use them as a way to start off a rowdy night and there is a lot of drinking and drugs that go on. Only last year I was at the Crystal Palace festival which finished early, was family oriented and there were a lot of people in a right state.

And although some of them might be able to persuade a pregnant woman or someone with a baby to go with them the vast majority won't as most pregnant women or mother's of young babies aren't interested in going on the lash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now