Talk

Advanced search

To complain about this postman?

(52 Posts)
enviousllama Thu 02-Jul-15 11:47:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SeenBeen Thu 02-Jul-15 11:50:38

a) If you're going to lie around in your pants, have something to throw on near by.

b) "I was provoked" is a non-excuse. You were rude. Period.

c) I would imagine your neighbourhood is a bit like mine, i.e. no one usually home during the day. So why should they hang around when they expect you're at work.

How about instead of making a complaint, you get to know your postman? I know mine so well that he gave me a package when he saw me at the school bus stop the other week as he had missed me at home.

Snozberry Thu 02-Jul-15 11:54:04

I have some sympathy for them running away after 30 seconds or having the card ready as their workload is huge and they just don't have time.

But he was rude to tear up the card and put it in your hand, that was definitely a provocative gesture. I wouldn't go as far as complaining though as you gave as much as you got.

magicstar1 Thu 02-Jul-15 11:56:06

I think you were very rude to him. You went upstairs, etc. so he started to fill out the card...nothing wrong there. He gave it to you to put in the bin...again, reasonable - do you want him to carry a half filled in card around all day? Then you grabbed the parcel off him....yep, you would be VVVVVU to complain about him!

ArmySal Thu 02-Jul-15 11:56:56

You both sound like a pair of children, don't complain.

BlossomTang Thu 02-Jul-15 11:59:39

Hopefully your post is not now redirected to Timbuktu smile

Sounds like you were not in the best of moods but asking you to put the card in the bin was a bit arsey - the posties must be used to disturbing people doing pretty much all and anything.

I'd try to avoid him for a little while and complain if more bad behaviour is encountered - if yours is anything like my area you'll have a new postie every fortnight...

FarFromAnyRoad Thu 02-Jul-15 12:01:07

You need him more than he needs you and he can make your life awkward if he chooses to. Far better to befriend him don't you think?

helenahandbag Thu 02-Jul-15 12:01:16

My DP is a postman and there's not enough money in the world to make me want to do his job. The management are constantly changing the rules, following them on their rounds to "time" them AND they are now having to knock the door for the parcel and both neighbours in an effort not to take any mail back to the office, which is adding a tonne of time onto their walks. Not to mention the abuse he gets from people who are waiting on something that hasn't arrived, or because a different postie gave them the mail for across the road a week past Monday.

(You're not in the east end of Glasgow, are you? DP wears headphones on his walk grin)

haveabreakhaveakitkat Thu 02-Jul-15 12:03:35

I can't see that he did anything wrong, apart from maybe asking you to bin the card, but that wouldn't bother me confused

Snozberry Thu 02-Jul-15 12:05:31

Just thinking about doing that job in this heat is making me want to throw torn up paper at strangers so actually maybe his reaction was mild.

Picklesauage Thu 02-Jul-15 12:05:40

You could ask him (politely) next time you see him if you could come up with a better solution.
My postman knows I am at home with a toddler and a brand new baby - meaning I have been at home pregnant with a toddler for quite some time before that. If he has a parcel he will leave it on the doorstep, ring the doorbell and go and deliver post to a few houses. He then pops back to mine on route to his bike / van and if the parcel is gone, perfect and if not he leaves a card and takes the parcel with him.

He does this for all houses he knows have pregnant or young children in them. (Obviously doesn't work for signed for parcels sadly)

He gets a Christmas present for being a kind wonderful helpful man!

MidniteScribbler Thu 02-Jul-15 12:10:59

How long do you think he should stand there and wait while you go upstairs, find clothes, get dressed, come back downstairs again? One minute, two minutes, five minutes? Add that on to, let's say, every second house he has to deliver to, and you're probably adding a couple of extra hours to his day.

I suspect that you'll find he won't even knock on your door in the future, he'll just put a card through, and quite frankly, I can't say that I would blame him.

Caken Thu 02-Jul-15 12:16:06

YABU, you were very rude to him.

nigelslaterfan Thu 02-Jul-15 12:16:18

rudeness draw. Both rude.

But I always try to be polite to people who are working if possible, they get so much rudeness. I am lovely to anybody who delivers anything.

You can't lie around without out on and have nada to put on nearby, you is asking for trouble missy. grin

Sallyingforth Thu 02-Jul-15 12:22:14

You were totally unreasonable.
The postman has a job to do and can't wait around while you go upstairs looking for a dressing gown. As far as he knew, there was no-one at home so there was no point in waiting any longer.

I'm usually nude around the house in the summer, and I have a long jacket hanging by the door for just such occasions. I suggest you do the same, and stop pissing on other peoples' work.

NinkyNonkers Thu 02-Jul-15 12:23:23

What's the problem with being asked to put it in the bin? I don't get it.

Bakeoffcake Thu 02-Jul-15 12:24:01

Yabu.

You were very rude to him. He's only doing his job and don't understand what you would complain about. Poor postie.

Iliveinalighthousewith2friendl Thu 02-Jul-15 12:25:02

Yes he was rude, and very unprofessional throwing the bits of paper on your floor, and you were rude snatching the parcel out of his hand. But then isn't supposed to be able to be professional and rise above Rudeness.I think it was 6 of 1 and half a dozen of the other. Like 2 10 year olds bickering.

Jengnr Thu 02-Jul-15 12:26:30

Him dropping the card all over the floor is inexcusable. You shouldn't have snatched but it sounds like his customer service is shit.

Pootles2010 Thu 02-Jul-15 12:27:48

You were being ridiculous, and rude. He obviously didn't have the card pre-filled in, so that's neither here nor there.

I don't think you can expect him to wait for five minutes at every house, and you were really rude to him - I don't see how he provoked you?

I used to be a waitress and people like you made my life a misery.

Perfectlypurple Thu 02-Jul-15 12:28:53

You were rude. Why on earth wouldn't you have something close to hand to put on in case the door goes?

Be nice to your postie and they are nice to you. Ours is lovely, he will let himself into the garden and put parcels in the garage if we are out or if he sees the bedroom curtains closed as he knows we both work shifts.

NinkyNonkers Thu 02-Jul-15 12:29:13

I read it that the OP dropped the bits on the floor after he put them in her hand?

StonedGalah Thu 02-Jul-15 12:29:29

OP dropped it on the floor Jen

YAB massively U

Perfectlypurple Thu 02-Jul-15 12:30:00

It was the op that dropped the card on the floor.

magicstar1 Thu 02-Jul-15 12:30:29

He didn't drop it on the floor...he put it in the OP's hand and she let it fall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now