Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

The word HACK

(38 Posts)
FuckitFay Wed 01-Jul-15 19:29:47

FFS! They are tips not hacks! Such a stupid jumping on the bandwagon word! Stop putting fucking hacks for everything on the homepage mumsnet or I will deregister! And then you'll be sorry!

DawnOfTheDoggers Wed 01-Jul-15 19:32:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Fatstacks Wed 01-Jul-15 19:34:22

I started this exact same thread a few weeks ago.

It's shit, adding the word hack to old tips is lazy and gives me the rage angry

honeyroar Wed 01-Jul-15 20:09:00

What is it?

In my world it's a type of horse too, or a ride you do on a horse.

Mamab33 Wed 01-Jul-15 20:11:19

Yes!

theconstantvacuumer Wed 01-Jul-15 20:13:26

Yes, and the worst offender is the phrase 'life hack'. Oh just fuck off!

DinoSnores Wed 01-Jul-15 20:15:10

A hack is "a quick fix solution to a frustrating problem".

So a tip can be called a hack.

So, YABU.

Dognado Wed 01-Jul-15 20:17:35

Agree, so annoying.

Cumbrae Wed 01-Jul-15 20:19:13

In my world it's something you do with code. (I know not of horses)

I like 'life hacks' lots of interestingly clever things I never knew about. Eg marshmallows help sore throats (and they do!!)

LaceyLee Wed 01-Jul-15 20:20:15

Agree. This is so annoying! Usually just fairly obvious tips not hacks!!!

BumpTheElephant Wed 01-Jul-15 20:20:22

YANBU.

WendyTorrance Wed 01-Jul-15 20:22:02

YES! YADNBU!! I subscribe to Buzzfeed and their regular 'Life Hacks' emails really piss me off. It's 'TIPS' not 'HACKS'.

Although I do realise that IABU as 1. Buzzfeed is American and 2. I have used too many shouty capitals and exclamation marks in my above statement blush.

Klayden Wed 01-Jul-15 20:23:42

Yeah, Buzzfeed are right twats for their hashtag #hacks bollocks.

PolkadotsAndMoonbeams Wed 01-Jul-15 20:26:32

It's a nasty cough isn't it? Or a horse ride.

TinklyLittleLaugh Wed 01-Jul-15 20:29:11

Ooh I quite like the word "hack"; "tips" sounds a bit Woman's Weekly or Viz. I'm quite keen on evolving language in general though. Except for "curate", hate "curate". Oh and the fashionista's single, ie a black trouser.

shouldnthavesaid Wed 01-Jul-15 20:31:28

I thought hack meant sawing/cutting into something. E.g stop hacking away at your pork, etc..

Kleptronic Wed 01-Jul-15 20:32:53

In my world a hack is what you employ to fix some buggy code. You know how to fix it properly but that would take days. You fix it with a bodgy hack that takes 3 hours instead, then pray it holds together. Not that I'd do that, obviously. grin

CakeNinja Wed 01-Jul-15 20:34:05

I thought it was a type of off piste horseride!
Or when you break into something.
I've never heard of this newfangled way confused
<old before my time at bloody 30>

weeblueberry Wed 01-Jul-15 20:36:36

I thought you were going to say when someone uses it incorrectly when taking about a computer security issue. Loads of people refer to being hacked when actually someone's just guessed their password or logged on and used an account previously been used on that computer. It's not bloody hacking...

SwedishEdith Wed 01-Jul-15 20:37:40

Oh, god, yes about fucking "curate" being everywhere. Everyone is always bloody curating now. Stop it. But, hack I don't mind - I'm thinking of Ikea hacks when people modify and customise the stuff. I like that.

Buzzfeed is a bit rubbish, generally. And if you follow that and the Huffington post, you will get the same news articles all the time - they simply copy each other's news (or are they part of the same organisation - can't be bothered to check)

Peaceloveandcustardcreams Wed 01-Jul-15 20:37:56

Weeblueberry YESSS!! DH and I are forever shouting at the TV "it's cracked not hacked!"

Imbeciles grin

SenecaFalls Wed 01-Jul-15 20:42:58

I really am pretty liberal about new-fangled uses of language, but I do indeed have an irrational hate for "hack" being used this way.

00100001 Wed 01-Jul-15 20:49:43

Maybe we should start MN Hacks complete with hashtags
grin

Want to leave a blank message?? Type four in a row with no brackets (****) #MNHack.

grin

I'm fine when they use it to mean modify or change the use in some way. Frexample, Ikea hacks when they take a bunk bed and make it into a chicken coop.

I'm also fine with it being used as a quick-fix-make-it-work-kind-of-deal. Especially if it involve duct tape and velcro and some ingenuity.

Using a marshmallow as a throat soother isn't a hack even if it works really well. People have been soothing throats with both real marsh mallow and sugar for centuries.

GinUpGirl Wed 01-Jul-15 20:50:26

I thought a hack was a journalist.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now