Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To think there's no point in going to the gym if

(24 Posts)
Fugghetaboutit Wed 01-Jul-15 16:35:48

You eat nothing before - so turn up hungry and then get a KFC after confused

This is P, who is paying through the nose for a personal trainer and gym membership - goes once a week if that and does the above. I've told him to tell his trainer and see what he says!

MrsGolightly Wed 01-Jul-15 16:38:24

No he's not -training on an empty stomach burns more fat. However the KFC is not a good idea, a protein shake with a banana afterwards would be much better.

RepeatAdNauseum Wed 01-Jul-15 16:38:37

I suppose at least he burns off some of the calories...it's better than just eating a KFC?

And he's still getting fit, even if he's still eating rubbish....he might not lose weight, but he's getting some exercise.

Fugghetaboutit Wed 01-Jul-15 16:41:32

I thought it would be bad for you to go hungry. Doesn't it just balance it out if he eats a KFC after? So any calories he burnt off, he'll put back on straight away - or more because he was ravenous.

His bmi is too high and his metabolic age is 50 and he's 35!

His business though

MorrisZapp Wed 01-Jul-15 16:44:20

You still have to eat meals though, when you're working out.

I go for a morning run then eat my breakfast when I get home. As long as I don't eat back my exercise calories as extra bonus points, I'm burning fat.

Slowly but surely it's coming off.

Kvetch15 Wed 01-Jul-15 16:46:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NRomanoff Wed 01-Jul-15 16:48:16

I train before eating every morning. It isn't bad for you.

The kfc after not so much. But better than just having a kfc, but Some people eat their most calorie dense meal of the day after working out.

He is however wasting his time with a PT if he isn't being honest with them though

Lizzylou Wed 01-Jul-15 17:48:39

At the weekend I always exercise on an empty stomach, I can't eat for 2hrs before I exercise unless I want to vomit.
If he wants to get fit then he needs to be doing more than 1hr a week anyway, and KFC would not be my choice of meal anyway.

AmberNectarine Wed 01-Jul-15 17:51:36

Well he's absolutely right to be getting some protein in after his workout, but not in the form of KFC!

youareallbonkers Wed 01-Jul-15 18:40:15

It is better to work out on an empty stomach as it teaches your body to burn fat stores. Would you rather he just went to kfc and didn't work out? If he is only going once a week he doesn't need protein shakes. 1 kfc a week isn't going to be the cause of his weight, what's he eating the rest of the time?

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 01-Jul-15 18:43:52

Weight loss is 80% diet, 20% exercise according to my PT

scribblegirl Wed 01-Jul-15 18:46:36

Hmm - I train on an empty stomach, I hate going for a run with anything 'in' me. But there are good alternatives. Has he tried doing the Slimming World KFC recipe? It's soooo good. We sometimes make it the night before and just stick it in the oven for a quick tea. With some beans and a corn on the cob it would definitely hit the craving!

scribblegirl Wed 01-Jul-15 18:47:20

Recipe: www.shecookssheeats.co.uk/baked-kfc-style-chicken/

Tanith Wed 01-Jul-15 18:47:42

Sounds like my Mum's aerobics class in the 80s. They would all pile out at the end of the class... and straight into the fish and chip shop next door grin

RJnomore Wed 01-Jul-15 18:50:24

It depends what he gets at kfc actually. If he gets chicken original chicken pieces and pulls the skin off the chicken is better than a protein shake.

Fugghetaboutit Wed 01-Jul-15 18:52:09

Would you rather he just went to kfc and didn't work out?

Yes, yes of course.

Thanks for the recipe! I make him healthy food usually. I'm stick thin and pregnant so it's really hard to cook for both of us.

I can understand not wanting to eat right before but he hadn't eaten since 9.30am and he went at 2pm hmm I'd prefer he have a banana before and eggs/chicken with no carbs after. He doesn't have the willpower though, so I guess I have to let go a bit.

Fugghetaboutit Wed 01-Jul-15 18:52:43

He would rather kick a nail than pull the skin off KFC

scribblegirl Wed 01-Jul-15 19:29:22

Hah, I've got one of those. That's how I found the recipe wink

NRomanoff Wed 01-Jul-15 19:29:41

Common thinking is that you should have carbs after training. Eggs and chicken will not help.

I don't eat from about 7pm at night till after training at 10.30pm. I am sure he will be fine.

Why do you want him to eat certain foods? and what is it based on?

Fugghetaboutit Wed 01-Jul-15 22:42:07

Based on me wanting him to look like Channing Tatum, but that ain't gonna happen.

Happfeet2911 Thu 02-Jul-15 00:02:09

Don't even bother, the gym is the devils work, a form of torture that makes you feel bad about yourself!
And your kneecaps pack up!
This is from a wine swilling size 8 who is the wrong side of 50! Accept it's mainly genetics, I have friends who are huge and ones who make me look fat, it doesn't matter!!

BabyFeets Thu 02-Jul-15 00:05:13

You eat hour before gym, pasta for energy and tuna for protein.
After you have a protien shake.
Never go gym on an empty stomach that's pointless.

Kvetch15 Thu 02-Jul-15 09:25:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Casimir Thu 02-Jul-15 09:29:31

Actually he is thirsty but confusing it with hunger. Litre of fluid and wait five minutes will sort.
This is why we love packet of crisps after swimming.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now