Talk

Advanced search

To feel put out by being called weird?

(66 Posts)
Fruitflylady Wed 01-Jul-15 12:42:41

First post here so please be kind.

My son's friend came up to me after school yesterday and told me that his mum had said that I was weird! I was a bit taken aback at the time so I didn't say anything to him or his mum (I don't think she overheard this), but I have been feeling a bit wounded ever since and don't know whether to say anything to the mum or just try and forget about it.

What would you do?

popcornpaws Wed 01-Jul-15 12:48:13

I would totally forget about it, what other people think of you is irrelevant, live your life for you, not to please others.
Also, i wouldn't say anything to the mum, why bother? if thats her opinion then thats her opinion.
I really don't care what other people think of me, but then I'm old and not a people pleaser at all.

SaucyJack Wed 01-Jul-15 12:48:14

Are you weird?

NoArmaniNoPunani Wed 01-Jul-15 12:49:28

I'd be proud. Normal is a setting on a washing machine.

MsMcWoodle Wed 01-Jul-15 12:49:50

What's wrong with being weird?

Fruitflylady Wed 01-Jul-15 12:50:41

Well Saucy, that's the thing, I don't think I'm particularly weird but how do you know if you're weird anyway?!
Maybe I am and I just have to start embracing it ��

WorraLiberty Wed 01-Jul-15 12:51:04

How old is he?

MrsPear Wed 01-Jul-15 12:51:32

Be weird and proud! grin

Nettletheelf Wed 01-Jul-15 12:51:50

Better to be weird than rude and spiteful, which is how I'd describe the other mum!

zzzzz Wed 01-Jul-15 12:52:17

Would dull or average be better?

Next time tell him it's rude to repeat things like that and especially dangerous when dealing with weird people....then pretend to be a chicken.grin

SunnyBaudelaire Wed 01-Jul-15 12:54:10

'Weird' are you?
So what the other mum is a 'rude judgemental bitch', tell her kid that.

FenellaFellorick Wed 01-Jul-15 12:54:54

I'd go up to her and say "I hear from your son that you think I'm weird"

But that's because I'm weird grin

morelikeguidelines Wed 01-Jul-15 12:56:17

Christ, if I had a penny for every time I had been called weird....

(I would be much richer)

morelikeguidelines Wed 01-Jul-15 12:57:20

Try ending every sentence with the word "penguin" next time you speak to her

Fruitflylady Wed 01-Jul-15 12:57:53

Worra, he's nearly 5.
It's possible he's misunderstood something she's said, but he made such a point of coming over to me and explaining it all so clearly!!

I guess I'm not so good at the small talk thing you have to do on the playground, and she's quite chatty so maybe she finds me hard work?

Zzzzz, I like your suggestion. I shall practice my chicken impression straight away!!

bumbleymummy Wed 01-Jul-15 12:59:32

I agree with nettle. It's better to be weird than rude smile

(I also like morelikeguidelines' idea about penguins but then I'm a bit weird too wink )

Madlizzy Wed 01-Jul-15 13:00:29

I'd take it as a compliment. grin

wafflyversatile Wed 01-Jul-15 13:05:02

Everyone is weird to someone. And everyone has bits of weirdness.

CatOfTheGreenGlades Wed 01-Jul-15 13:05:22

I'm the kind of person who gets called weird. It is hard realising that no matter how hard you try, if you are not totally run-of-the-mill in how you look or what you think, or even if you just aren't Ms social breeziness or a bit shy, some people are going to single you out. That's how "normal" people assert themselves and reassure themselves to each other that they are normal.

But everyone is more weird the more you get to know them IME. "Normal" is just a thing that some people wish they were. No one is absolutely normal.

As a pp said I'd think "good". I struggled with it more when I was younger.

DirtyDeedsD0neDirtCheap Wed 01-Jul-15 13:11:23

how horrible OP

I once got asked at school "why are you so weird?" ...it never properly left me tbh

I am quite weird though tbf but now I embrace it :D

Fruitflylady Wed 01-Jul-15 13:17:34

Thanks guys, your replies are making me feel better about myself.

I know it's a daft thing to be upset about, especially as a grown woman....but still.....

Penguin

grin

Mrsjayy Wed 01-Jul-15 13:18:53

Oh dear i would laugh and shrug it off other mums views are no concern of yours next time she speaks to you mention it and tell her she needs to be more discreet in front of her son.

CrystalHaze Wed 01-Jul-15 13:22:17

I'd rejoice. grin

Who wants to be the same as every other middle-of-the-roader?

SunnyBaudelaire Wed 01-Jul-15 13:24:02

tis true I am afraid - any mum who is using 'weird' as a pejorative term is just bound to have capri trousers, ironed hair and be three stone overweight.

SaucyJack Wed 01-Jul-15 13:24:39

Penguin smile

For added zoological accuracy- try holding your nose when you say it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now