Talk

Advanced search

Are my dresses unreasonable for the school run?

(438 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

MyNameIsPinkiePie Wed 01-Jul-15 10:35:23

I wore the black dress yesterday (see pics) and got a filthy stare off a woman pushing a buggy on the school pick up. I don't think I had my kids with me at that point. I later wore the dress to a Christian youth group, in fact I wore it to the office earlier the same day and it seemed fine. Today I had both kids on the way to school, I was wearing the dark red dress with a black cardigan. I got another long glare from the same woman, it was her staring that made me realise it was her again! I wouldn't wear the dark red dress to the office and I have pinned it to make it less low on the bust. They are both soft jersey dresses. But are they really that bad and does it make a difference whether I'm a mother or on the school run as to whether these outfits are appropriate?

EatShitDerek Wed 01-Jul-15 10:36:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DoTheDuckFace Wed 01-Jul-15 10:37:18

I would wear both dresses to the office so by default also on the school run.

Maybe the woman has a problem with you unrelated to your clothes. Mistaken identity maybe?

SilverDragonfly1 Wed 01-Jul-15 10:37:28

The dresses are lovely and I imagine the stare was envy based- probably pegged you as a glamorous SAHM who's DH is loaded!

chewymeringue Wed 01-Jul-15 10:37:29

They look great. Some people are a bit strange. Take no notice.

Seeline Wed 01-Jul-15 10:38:04

You look gorgeous!
She was jealous.

Some of the mums at my school wear stuff that would look underdressed on the beach blush

Ignore her, and wear your dresses with pride!

WorraLiberty Wed 01-Jul-15 10:38:07

And you've come to the conclusion, it's something to do with your dress?

How? confused

Interestingly, I've just posted this quote on another thread a few seconds ago, but it seems very fitting to post it here.

“You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do.” ― Eleanor Roosevelt

WhereTheFuckIsMyFuckingCoat Wed 01-Jul-15 10:38:28

The graphics on my iPad are playing up, but from what I can see the dresses look perfectly fine! Some people are just nasty and jealous. Ignore!

ApocalypseThen Wed 01-Jul-15 10:38:42

The dresses are fine and if you've the energy to put them on, more power to your elbow.

usualsuspect333 Wed 01-Jul-15 10:39:18

I don't think she gave a toss about your dress tbh.

Tizwailor Wed 01-Jul-15 10:40:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ghostyslovesheep Wed 01-Jul-15 10:40:03

What Worra said

Still thanks for posting headless body shot in various poses!

Hoppinggreen Wed 01-Jul-15 10:40:56

She might not have been glaring at you and if she was why assume it was your dress?
I really wouldn't worry about it as long as you are happy with the way you look

usualsuspect333 Wed 01-Jul-15 10:41:31

I think OP just wanted loads of 'you look fab' posts.

WorraLiberty Wed 01-Jul-15 10:41:37

ghosty!! grin

It's a very nice, very stylish, very normal dress.

I would be very surprised if anyone had a problem with it.

dominogocatgo Wed 01-Jul-15 10:42:08

Perhaps she'd had something similar disappear from her washing line.

Lucked Wed 01-Jul-15 10:42:31

Perhaps she just has one of those faces! If you notice again give her a beaming smile and make small talk about the heat.

Iliveinalighthousewith2friendl Wed 01-Jul-15 10:43:41

I think mums at the school have other things on their mind what you rock up wearing. I.e Their child's education and bills ect.
Talk about fishing for compliments.

StayWithMe Wed 01-Jul-15 10:43:56

I think they're really lovely. Simple and elegant. Maybe she has a resting miserable face and was just admiring them. Next time, why don't you say hello and ask "sorry, do I know you?" If she says no, then respond with "sorry, I thought you knew me because I noticed you looking. Sorry my mistake." All done with a big smile so you're not coming across as confrontational. If she's admiring your clothes, she'll probably tell you and if she's somehow offended by what you're wearing, at least she'll probably be embarassed.

Tbf, no matter what you wore it's still not as bad as the bright yellow miniskirt and blue shoes I saw at a wedding yesterday, along with the teenage daughter wearing teeny weeny bright red shorts! No it wasn't a 'bright clothes type' funeral as everyone else was dressed appropriately.

MrsCampbellBlack Wed 01-Jul-15 10:44:34

I doubt it was the dress the woman was scowling at.

Personally too much cleavage on show for my office.

Or were you walking with dress held out to side in manner of Cinderella - perhaps that is what she was scowling at wink

CrystalHaze Wed 01-Jul-15 10:44:39

a) why do you think it was anything to do with what you are wearing?
b) if it was possible to know/prove that it was a case of what you were wearing, would it matter what a grumpy stranger thought?
c) kudos on the awesome stealth-boast ~ this one is ninja-esque grin

CoogerAndDark Wed 01-Jul-15 10:44:48

Have you plenty of suncream on? Don't forget to reapply it before pick up this afternoon.

muminhants1 Wed 01-Jul-15 10:45:01

Maybe glaring is her natural facial expression. Move on, nothing to see here.

70isaLimitNotaTarget Wed 01-Jul-15 10:45:25

was it tucked into yer knickers at the back.................? wink

dickiedavisthunderthighs Wed 01-Jul-15 10:46:19

Did your photos not get enough likes on Facebook OP? wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now