Talk

Advanced search

To dread Sports Day

(15 Posts)
haveabreakhaveakitkat Wed 01-Jul-15 10:02:05

Dd is year 3. First year of juniors. Sports day is the last Friday of term. We had the letter with details yesterday. It's 9am - 1pm. The last hour is for a picnic lunch on the field - optional but dd will want me there.

I have to leave the house at 8.25 to take dd to school and then spend FOUR long lonely hours on the field. I'm not very sociable and this has left me a bit of an outcast. I just know I'll spend the whole time looking like a friendless loser. There are big friendship groups at dd's school, some very big (scary) characters and one mum who has made her dislike of me known because our dd's fell out in Year 2.

And what if I need the loo?! I don't know where/if there are any toilets in the school for parents and I'll be too nervous to ask.

I wish they would do one year group per hour or something. Dh is trying to get the morning off but it's difficult for him.

Any tips for getting through the hours? I am thinking of taking a book or will I look even more like a loser with my nose in a book?

Please be kind. I really want to look forward to this but I can't help but dread it sad

vvega Wed 01-Jul-15 10:09:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

haveabreakhaveakitkat Wed 01-Jul-15 10:27:27

There are some lovely parents but they probably will make a beeline for the groups and ignore me, they're not nasty but a lot of them have known each other since school so they tend to stick together. I don't think they notice me a lot of the time.

I'm thinking of dropping dd into school and going to the shop so I can get to school just a minute or two late and then see where the mums that I know are sitting try and sit near them. If I get there too early I can imagine a large empty space being made around me sad

CMOTDibbler Wed 01-Jul-15 10:34:28

I'd take a book. You only need to be paying attention when your dd is doing something, so drop off, walk to the shop to get a nice cold drink, then come back, see if theres anyone you want to sit with, and if not you get to enjoy a nice morning with your drink and book.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Wed 01-Jul-15 10:44:16

I am at mine now. I don't know anyone. It's fine. Just a bit dull! Don't worry - lots of people are chatting and lots of others are sitting on their own.

CaitBlanky Wed 01-Jul-15 10:44:43

I'd go with the option of turning up later, then plonking yourself with any friendly mums that are already there.

Have some conversation openers: 'is Jimmy happy about his teacher for next year?' 'Are you going away?' Etc.

Wear sunglasses (unless it's raining!) then you can gaze away into the distance in a mysterious fashion if need be.

Joolsy Wed 01-Jul-15 10:48:32

Remember though, that you won't just be sitting around for 4 hours, if it's anything like my DD's school, you follow your child's group around the different races/activities they're doing. Once it gets going there isn't much chance to sit around chatting. And I expect there will be loads of dads there on their own who don't know anyone. Maybe you could just find one mum who's in the same situation as you and have a polite chat if need be? I assume it's not just the 1 class that's taking part so there will be lots of parents that you don't know, not just the clicky ones.

MumOfTheMoment Wed 01-Jul-15 11:07:40

Is there anyone you can ask to go with you if dh can't get time off? Your parents or in laws? Friend? I feel your pain though. I make dh book the day off well in advance!

haveabreakhaveakitkat Wed 01-Jul-15 12:19:28

Joolsy I'm hoping that's the case, itwas like that in infants.

No one else I can rope in really. A few friends but they have younger dc's or have had to endure their own dc's sports days so won't want to come to mine!

I actually love sitting in fields on my own, reading, but not with loads of people around me in groups!

Thanks everyone. You're very kind. Fingers crossed dh will at least make it to the picnic part.

Angie611 Wed 01-Jul-15 12:24:57

I understand how you feel as I feel awkward in these situations too. I find it very hard to strike up conversations with people. How about your or your DH's parents? Could either/both attend with you? Or any other friends?

And about toilets, the school should provide access to the staff toilets. 4 hours is a long time, lots of people will need to go I should imagine.

DirtyDeedsD0neDirtCheap Wed 01-Jul-15 12:28:18

oh god I hate it

I don't really have many friends at the school, I tend to keep a polite distance as there is a lot of bitching and people falling out all the time. but everyone else is in big groups of friends and all know eachother

my dds was this morning , I normally stand on my own counting down till when i can leave. but was so relieved to see the ONE person I know and like and was able to sit with him and his dw

windchime Wed 01-Jul-15 12:28:26

Our sports day was cancelled this week due to the heat. I could have wept with relief.

MTWTFSS Wed 01-Jul-15 13:08:20

I really need to invest in a pair of wireless headphones I can hide under my hair so when I one day have to go to Sports Day (I dread this) I can listen to a book instead grin

GoodArvo Wed 01-Jul-15 14:13:03

Do you really have to go? If so, do you have to go for the whole event? I wouldn't go if you makes you that unhappy. What's the point of going if you're just going to read a book?

lljkk Wed 01-Jul-15 14:19:46

I took a book.
Ask about the toilets, you're a grown up, you can do it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now