Talk

Advanced search

to be LIVID and want throttle my mums GP!

(27 Posts)
Altinkum Wed 01-Jul-15 04:58:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Canyouforgiveher Wed 01-Jul-15 05:06:29

Report to the surgery. And take it further if needed.

My dad died of pneumonia after 2 months of his gp telling him he was suffering from anxiety - no chest xray, no listening to chest. just automatic assumption the man was anxious when he was in fact short of breath because of pneumonia - compete absence of any minimum standard of medical care. I wanted his head on a plate too.

Report and get this woman to learn better or not practice.

So sorry. This scenario was very hard for me - the more so because my father actually died as a result. (he was old but still probably 10 years younger than he could have been when he died)

Altinkum Wed 01-Jul-15 09:22:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Puzzledandpissedoff Wed 01-Jul-15 09:31:45

Be very careful when/if the practice manager calls - at this point they'll be in damage limitation mode, but mainly for themselves (I write as someone whose FIL was killed by hospital negligence)

Try to listen without making to much comment if you can and ask if they'd accept you recording the call; if the answer is no, you might want to consider taking advice before any further contact with them

Forgive me for sounding bleak, but believe me I know how some of them approach this kind of thing ...

Welshmaenad Wed 01-Jul-15 09:51:19

My mum never complained about her health, but last January was experiencing a lot of abdominal pain so we insisted she went to her GP, who dismissively told her it was gallstones and referred her for s scan, marking it 'non urgent'.

Even when mum returned a few weeks later with breathlessness and increased pain she fobbed her off, refused to push for an eRlier scan and told mum she was fine to go on her holiday to America.

The day she got back she was very unwell and jaundiced so we took her to hospital where she was admitted and scanned and told she had terminal pancreatic cancer, which had spread to her liver, bones and lungs. The breathlessness was a result of blood clots as PC makes your blood very sticky. Beeathlessness is not even a symptom of gallstones. Three and a half weeks later she was dead.

Please, please complain about this GP. We might have had more time with mum of she had been diagnosed sooner and been able to have some chemo. Shitty GPs need to be challenged.

ChuffinAda Wed 01-Jul-15 09:57:41

So much gets written off as anxiety it makes me angry. I had a viral heart infection recently which saw me in hospital for monitoring. Initially they tried to tell me it was a panic attack and refused to do any tests until DH shouted at them. Turned out I was tachycardic and had a blood pressure worthy of needing to go into resus.

I hate dismissive doctors who, once they realise you have a diagnosis of something attributes everything to it.

I had another incident where I had a temp of 41 was violently shivering and had an unshakeable migraine. Again Dr's said 'migraine go home and take painkillers' again we insisted something was wrong, blood tests showed a dangerously high level of infection and I was admitted and put on iv antibiotics for 10 days.

Complain definitely

Ohfourfoxache Wed 01-Jul-15 09:57:43

Bloody fucking hell angry

Right, there needs to be an investigation. If you don't have any luck with the PM or if they try to fob you off, go straight to the CQC and NHS England to make a complaint. Flag it up with them in the first instance, but only if you get nowhere with the PM.

If the PM follows procedure etc correctly but you aren't satisfied win the outcome then approach cqc /NHSE

Will keep an eye on this thread and if there is anything I can do to help then I will xx

So sorry to hear this has happened.
Here's a link which you may find interesting and might provide you with some food for thought when composing your letter:

www.mentalhealthcare.org.uk/media/downloads/accident_and_emergency.pdf

Many, many people with MH problems find their physical problems go undiagnosed, as medical professionals assume the MH problem is responsible for symptoms. Diagnostic overshadowing.

Turtlefeet Wed 01-Jul-15 10:05:31

Bloody hell.

See there is still such a stigma surrounding mental health.

This is what stops people getting help for their mental health conditions - because once you "admit" to having a problem, alot of physical symptoms are just written off and dismissed as being all in the head!

angry

I have no expertise in these matters but be very careful about layingall your cards on the table to the practice manager at this stage.

Say little and listen more. Then re-evaluate and decide your next step, seeking advice if you need it.

I hope your mum recovers well Altinkum.

mrstweefromtweesville Wed 01-Jul-15 10:08:19

Sorry this happened and hope your mum recovers well.

Don't kick off with the surgery. Be very, very quiet and thorough. Think through every stage and get legal advice from a firm that have dealt with such situations before.

Fibbertigibbet Wed 01-Jul-15 10:11:39

Altinkum, contact the GMC and NHS England. This is a severe enough error it needs to be taken above practice level.

I hope you and your mum are doing okay, considering flowers

FuckYouChrisAndThatHorse Wed 01-Jul-15 10:25:49

This is appalling. When dh went to his GP with chest pains, it was taken really seriously (despite the fact he's young and healthy and has a history of anxiety). He was sent straight up to the hospital for a chest X-ray and given an ECG. The response was immediate, even though dh had gone in saying that he thought it was just anxiety. His GP said that chest pains should always be checked out, no matter what. It turned out he had a nasty chest infection, but had it been anything else it would have been caught then and there.

That's what should have happened with your DM.

I really hope she gets the treatment she needs now, and comes through it all safely flowers

BarbarianMum Wed 01-Jul-15 10:26:44

What Fibbertigibbet says. That is really serious bloody negligence. angry My GP checks my heart and lungs if I go in with an earache or sore toe pretty much.

BarbarianMum Wed 01-Jul-15 10:27:33

Oh and flowers for you and you mum.

chewymeringue Wed 01-Jul-15 10:30:33

Are you me ChuffinAda?!! I've had both of those experiences! It's put me off Drs somewhat although I have to admit I've found some good ones now.

chewymeringue Wed 01-Jul-15 10:32:07

Sorry Op, I meant to say that you absolutely should take this up with the practice manager. What a terrible situation. Your poor mum!

Skiptonlass Wed 01-Jul-15 10:51:07

Very poor care. And a warning to us all that despite recent pushes to educate medical professionals, women are STILL being under diagnosed with cardiac issues.

This is way above the practice manager, the GMC needs to be involved.

paulapompom Wed 01-Jul-15 11:20:17

So sorry op. flowers

Agree with pp, Don't say too much but note down EVERYTHING said to mum/you by gp. Keep detailed records as you will need them to back your complaint. Fhsa used to deal with complaints about GPS You could try them, and take legal advice. Good luck xx

SylvaniansAtEase Wed 01-Jul-15 11:25:51

Agree with others here OP - this is more serious than practice manager level, and they will know it. Be careful of what you say on phone. Listen and don't be drawn into ANY discussion where you agree/disagree/explain ANYTHING.

Ask to record the conversation.

Take it straight past this level - others will give you more targeted advice on how to do that.

Oliversmumsarmy Wed 01-Jul-15 11:28:48

Dh started losing weight rapidly, in total he went from 15 stone to 9 stone over a period of about 4 months. Doctor kept telling him he was stressed. friends who we hadn't seen in a long time invited us round for dinner, their first thought on seeing dh was he had stomach cancer but seeing him eat our friend who recognised the symptoms diagnosed type 1 diabetes. Dh was in hospital a few hours later getting the treatment he needed.

bumbleymummy Wed 01-Jul-15 11:32:37

That is awful! I'm so sorry that your poor mum had to go through that. Yes, do take it further. I'm so angry for you. How dare they be so dismissive! How many other people has she done this to? Some doctors should really be struck off for their negligence.

thanks for you and your mum.

Mimigolightly Wed 01-Jul-15 11:34:17

Go straight to the General Medical Council. The symptoms your mum was displaying are classic signs of a heart attack and any decent doctor would have sent your mum for tests, ECG, etc. This doctor is dangerous.
I do hope your mum gets better soon.

AllThatGlistens Wed 01-Jul-15 11:39:11

Jesus Altinkum that's horrendous, your poor mum!

What everyone else has said really, definitely consider legal advice.

I hope she's as well as can be flowers

Ohfourfoxache Wed 01-Jul-15 13:48:52

My feeling is take it one step at a time. Do it in stages and start with the practice. Escalate things calmly and rationally. You have every right to be angry (I'd also be furious) but going in calmly and with a plan will serve you better.

Musicaltheatremum Wed 01-Jul-15 13:55:47

It does sound awful and sorry about your mum. I would say that only your mum can complain as without her permission they cannot tell you anything. So you need to get written permission from your mum too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now