Talk

Advanced search

to wash my privates?

(180 Posts)
mikado1 Tue 30-Jun-15 16:28:16

Someone will say I am unreasonable to say privates I know hmm

Anyway was in with doc today for a check and she looked horrified when I said my shower gel might have irritated me down below. . She said water only. I don't scrub or anything but would give a bit of a 'swish around' with soapywater. Apparently no need. I am annoyed with myself for doing it but also think all girls should be told this. I actually was more conscious to clean than usual when felt irritation blush

AuntyMag10 Tue 30-Jun-15 16:31:56

I thought everyone knew this.

PHANTOMnamechanger Tue 30-Jun-15 16:34:41

soaps and shower gels etc affect your natural pH and dry the sensitive skin, strongly scented ones especially can make people prone to thrush etc.

Holden10 Tue 30-Jun-15 16:34:43

Wait what? Don't use soap down there?

ralphlauren Tue 30-Jun-15 16:35:47

I don't think I would feel clean without a good squish of soap.

Each to their own though.

ZaZathecat Tue 30-Jun-15 16:35:57

There was a long thread on this a while ago and amazingly it seems there are many people out there who actually wash their vagina (yes I do mean the actual internal structure! )

NashvilleQueen Tue 30-Jun-15 16:36:45

It's self cleaning isn't it? Water is all you need. That's how I've always done it anyway.

Notyetthere Tue 30-Jun-15 16:36:52

Yup. No soap required. Only water will do. Tis a self cleaning region.

Chillyegg Tue 30-Jun-15 16:37:02

I found this out the hard way also. But yeah don't use soap

MrsGentlyBenevolent Tue 30-Jun-15 16:37:34

Goodness me, no, no soap down there. Just asking for trouble really. It 'self regulates', so water does the job just fine.

leedy Tue 30-Jun-15 16:38:23

I thought everyone knew you weren't supposed to use soap etc. on your underbits, especially if you're prone to irritation or thrush. One of the things I remember my mum telling me.

(if you do feel really minging/sweaty, you can use special pH balanced fannywash and/or plain aqueous cream - though some people find that irritating - but in most cases just water is fine.)

midnightvelvetPart2 Tue 30-Jun-15 16:38:41

The actual inside of the vagina or the external parts?

WestEast Tue 30-Jun-15 16:38:52

No soap in naturally wet places.
You wouldn't rub it in your eye or up your nose or in your mouth would you?

CrystalCove Tue 30-Jun-15 16:39:45

These threads confuse me - are people talking "in" or "outside"...because I always wash "outside" with fragrance free soap, wouldnt feel clean otherwise!

leedy Tue 30-Jun-15 16:39:53

Of course, it's still probably not as bad as putting a big slosh of Dettol in your bath, which was apparently popular in previous generations. My GP said he regularly got patients with recurrent thrush/irritation who turned out to have been basically washing themselves in disinfectant.

NashvilleQueen Tue 30-Jun-15 16:39:58

I don't use soap or shower gel anywhere in that region. Never had an infection and only had thrush in pregnancy.

BarbarianMum Tue 30-Jun-15 16:40:23

No soap on the inside, of course not. On the outer areas -hell yes.

Olivo Tue 30-Jun-15 16:40:29

I use shower gel on my pubic hair, but wouldn't rub it right up into the vagina. Have I also been getting it wrong?

Wolfiefan Tue 30-Jun-15 16:41:43

I wash my undercarriage with soap! It's a fairly scent free brand and I've never had an issue. Inside the vagina is designed to be self cleaning!

leedy Tue 30-Jun-15 16:41:48

are people talking "in" or "outside".

Both! Obviously "inside" is a total no but anything you put on "outside" can very easily end up in your, er, crevices. Unless you have some kind of hermetically sealed vulva.

CrystalCove Tue 30-Jun-15 16:42:00

On the outer areas -hell yes. Thats a relief! grin

00100001 Tue 30-Jun-15 16:42:36

I use soap,h ave done for 35 years with no problems... never knew you weren't supposed to confused

Tequilashotfor1 Tue 30-Jun-15 16:42:36

I get thrush of bubble bath so def no swishing down there for me. I shower everday so no stinky minge for me !

Summerisle1 Tue 30-Jun-15 16:43:22

I'm not planning to nuke my minge but to be honest, I'm not prepared to let it be a total soap dodger either.

ifgrandmahadawilly Tue 30-Jun-15 16:43:26

I've heard it said that you shouldn't use anything other than water but actually, I find that water doesn't get me clean. I still get this sort of grimy, white film left around my inner labia and clitoral hood unless I use something like femfresh.

Sorry if that was a bit tmi.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now