Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed that the delivery driver didn't try my neighbours?

(24 Posts)
EmeraldThief Tue 30-Jun-15 14:19:43

I'm waiting on a delivery, it's only a small parcel that would easily fit through the letter box. I didn't realise when I ordered it that it needed to be signed for as it didn't say so on the website I ordered from, and presumed it would just be pushed through my front door. Either that or they would just leave it somehwere safe or with neighbours.

Anyway today I've come home from work to find that they tried to deliver at 9am this morning and there was no one in (obviously, as we work!). But instead of trying my Neigbours they've taken it back to the depot which is miles aways and I've had to rearrange another date, obviously this is a nuisance as I work and don't know what time it'll come! On the card there is note saying "we've tried your neighbours" and a Y or an N. This hasn't been filled in at all, so presumably they didn't even try! My next door neighbours both sides are in today, as are the people next door but one! Why the fuck didn't they try them? Theyve taken parcels in for me before!

I'm really pissed off. It's just pure laziness. At least with the Royal Mail if you miss a delivery you can just pop to the nearest post office or sorting office to pick it up.

AIBU to feel a little bit pissed off over this? It's seems like a really shitty service.

Littleen Tue 30-Jun-15 14:22:53

Promise you, Hermes is worse :P Our local courier knocks and runs, literally. I walk straight to the door and he's already by the neighbours. Last parcel he's registered as delivered, but there's nothing arrived, not even a note. Yanbu! It's so annoying!

gamerchick Tue 30-Jun-15 14:23:42

What makes you think It's laziness? Some drivers get paid per parcel and it's a ball ache for the depot when stuff is brought back.

addictedtosugar Tue 30-Jun-15 14:24:56

It takes me half an hour to drive to the nearest royal mail sorting office, and I don't live rurally. So thats over an hour to get a parcel.

I have a similar rant about RM to myself, but then all the courier drivers are on really tight timescales, and don't have time to try 2 or 3 neighbours for parcels when the intended recipient isn't in. They are doing their best in really hard circumstances.

Is it possible to get it re-delivered to work?

gamerchick Tue 30-Jun-15 14:25:34

And did you designate your neighbours as a safe place to knock and leave your signed for parcel? In sure if it went missing you wouldn't be too happy? wink

Toooldtobearsed Tue 30-Jun-15 14:27:37

I sympathise, I really do, but try to see it from the delivery man's perspective. He probably gets paid peanuts per delivery. He has just spent time knocking at your door and no one is in. He could spend the next ten minutes knocking on neighbours doors trying to find a drop off point for you.
Now times that by every delivery he has on the van.

It is crap trying to sort out deliveries when you work - stick a note on your door?

EmeraldThief Tue 30-Jun-15 14:28:34

I didn't get the option to have it delivered to a neighbours or in a safe place, I just presumed they'd try them. I'm always taki g in stuff for them and vice versa.

I've now been on the delivery company's website and requested it be left in a safe place if I'm not in. Just hope they do it!

CatsCantTwerk Tue 30-Jun-15 14:28:41

I run my own business and use a courier who will NOT leave parcels with neighbours. I would use no other as too many folk are dishonest and will lie about not receiving their items.

Snozberry Tue 30-Jun-15 14:29:10

I doubt they choose to have to make 2 trips for one delivery, especially the ones who are paid per parcel. Maybe they aren't allowed to leave a signed for item with a neighbour because of thefts? It is annoying though when you have to chase a parcel.

GinUpGirl Tue 30-Jun-15 14:30:21

Can you get parcels delivered to work?

gamerchick Tue 30-Jun-15 14:31:12

It's true.. If his little machine has designated 3 minutes per stop and he's edging out of his etas then he doesn't have the time to go knocking on doors then.

It's just one of those things but nothing to do with being lazy really.

NRomanoff Tue 30-Jun-15 14:35:18

They only use the 'we called at no. ??' If they managed to drop it in there. Why would he tell you where he tried if they didn't answer the door. They are on a time schedule and get paid per drop. He won't have been paid for your drop so I doubt it's laziness.

scribblegirl Tue 30-Jun-15 14:42:26

Ugh I'm so with you. My Dad is wheelchair-bound and home for most of the day alone. He can get to the door but it takes time and obviously online shopping etc is better for him as he can't get out and about.

Absolutely EVERY SINGLE delivery has in the delivery notes 'MOBILITY ISSUES - PLEASE WAIT WHILST I GET TO THE DOOR AND BRING PARCEL INSIDE AS I CANNOT LIFT IT' or words to that effect. I'd estimate that 75% of the parcels are either left on the doorstep (so he can't bring them in and they sit outside all day), sent back to the depot because he wasn't at the door within five seconds or the doorbell's not rung at all and they just shove the note through without trying.

Gets my goat beyond belief. I know they're under time pressure but surely when it's spelt out like that they could bear to give him the extra 20 seconds to get to the door!?

DoJo Tue 30-Jun-15 14:43:38

Perhaps the courier read last week's thread from a poster who was annoyed that a parcel had been left with a neighbour. Also, YABU for this:
there was no one in (obviously, as we work!) as I am beavering away like a trojan in my kitchen and not procrastinating on MN at all of course grin

Pumpeedo Tue 30-Jun-15 14:51:08

I live next door to a pair of anti social oddballs. Ironically they're both psychologists. Anyhoo, the only time these neighbours speak to anyone else in the street is to complain about minor things or when they need to knock your door asking for parcels that you've taken in for them. Without asking me, these psychopathic psychologist neighbours have started instructing the senders to deliver to my house when they are not in. This is despite me having a note on my own door instructing delivery drivers to just chuck parcels over my fence when I'm not in. I think my neighbours have a fucking cheek and I now refuse to take delivery for them. Maybe the driver has visited my house recently. . . .

BabyFeets Tue 30-Jun-15 14:57:02

They probably have complaints about being left with neighbours, I personally hate my parcels being left with neighbours

stripytees Tue 30-Jun-15 15:01:14

What I hate the most are couriers who take things to neighbours even when they would fit through my letterbox. angry I know some companies insist on a signature but most of these parcels don't require one. My NDNs are both great but I hate bothering them for this.

Also couriers who knock the letterbox rather than the actual knocker - if I'm not near the door it's hard to tell that's a knock and not just some take away flyer being posted through.

Last week there was a thread where so some was whining annoyed that the parcel HAD been left with neighbours....delivery drivers are bloody damned if they do and damned if they don't FFs

ender Tue 30-Jun-15 15:10:41

YABU. I don't think deliveries should be left with neighbours unless permission has been given.

Bunnyjo Tue 30-Jun-15 15:47:45

As the long-suffering wife of a self-employed courier, YAB completely U!

You weren't in and the parcel requires a signature, so why are you annoyed with the driver and accusing him/her of being lazy or giving a really shitty service?!

If the company you ordered from didn't specify that a signature would be required, then that is their fault and not the driver's.

If you order parcels to be delivered when you know you're not going to be in, then expect them to not be delivered especially when a signature is required! Oh and that is your fault, not the driver's!

If they left your parcel in a safe place and you then claimed not to have received it, the driver would be facing the sack as it would be their word against yours. And, as others have said, many people complain when you leave parcels with neighbours. They really are damned if they do and damned if they don't!

Next time ask for them to be delivered to your work, or pay extra for a weekend service.

Buttercup27 Tue 30-Jun-15 15:51:07

There was a thread the other day that complained because a delivery driver left the parcel with the neighbours- poor delivery people can't win!

jaamy Tue 30-Jun-15 18:30:12

Use "Click and Collect" if there is a chance that you won't be in for a delivery. Don't really understand why people order things for home delivery when there won't be anyone in - even with the smallest items, you never know how much packaging there will be (i.e. too big to put through letter box).
Check the opening time of the courier depot. Often they open early mornings or weekends.

stripytees Tue 30-Jun-15 18:38:30

If only all online shops did Click and Collect or Collect+ or similar.

jaamy Tue 30-Jun-15 18:51:09

Or delivery to work or nearby friend or relative who is likely to be in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now