Talk

Advanced search

to ask my neighbour to turn their music down?

(12 Posts)
Twinklestar2 Tue 30-Jun-15 13:50:09

Neighbours are in their garden two doors down. Music blasting. 11 month old baby due for a nap soon - and me too if possible as I've been up since 4.45!

Aibu to ask or do I just need to suck it up?

The bed and cot are in the bed room at the back of the house where the music is the loudest
I've had to close the windows sad

FarFromAnyRoad Tue 30-Jun-15 14:01:52

I'd ask them - be polite and explain why. Do you know them and are they reasonable people?

shadowfax07 Tue 30-Jun-15 14:02:49

YANBU. Hope they turn it down and you can sleep.

Twinklestar2 Tue 30-Jun-15 14:03:53

Know them to say hello, how are the kids etc, but not much more.

Was wondering if their was some sort of rule, ie, their garden so they can do what they want!

BlackTrivet Tue 30-Jun-15 14:20:20

YANBU

Perfectly reasonable to ask them to turn it down a bit, as long as you are polite and don't demand it.

butterfly133 Tue 30-Jun-15 14:29:08

YANBU

LL12 Tue 30-Jun-15 14:53:33

I think fine enjoy your garden but not if it ruins other people's enjoyment of theirs.
I someone wants to have music blaring away and don't live in the middle of nowhere then fine go ahead but wear headphones, don't inflict your choices on others.

The heats getting to me!!

Twinklestar2 Tue 30-Jun-15 16:56:24

I managed to get baby to nap by putting white noise on but I couldn't open the windows.

They are still playing it loudly! Praying they stop before 7pm bedtime!

OH said he will speak to them when he gets back from work.

I know I'll bring a wimp!

shovetheholly Tue 30-Jun-15 17:01:10

This is my pet peeve. I hate people who play music loud enough for others to hear. You never know when someone else is knackered/ill/struggling with sleep deprivation/trying to get a baby to sleep. If you like volume, as I do, then there is such a thing as HEADPHONES!

I would go around and ask them but very, very nicely. 'I'm so sorry to bother you - I really am - but I've got an eleven month baby, and I've had no sleep in three days. It's a nightmare. I know you're only enjoying your music and it's a lovely day, but it's actually preventing my baby from sleeping. I've closed the windows but the walls in this place are so thin, we can still hear it. Would you mind possibly just turning it down a little bit. Sorry for asking.'

Even though they should be the ones apologising, a conciliatory tone might well go a long way.

BabyFeets Tue 30-Jun-15 17:01:20

I had neighbours like this before, nearly everyday and every summer would be the same, worse thing is they would use the back door to the neighbours flat which meant people were constantly walking past my patio doors so I couldn't even leave them open. I eventually moved. Some people are just so inconsiderate it's a joke!

snowgirl29 Tue 30-Jun-15 21:52:48

YNBU. I was poorly last year for an entire week. Was laid up in bed. It was Summer and all you heard was music raving day and night it drives you nuts!

30 mins to an hour tops and I assume they're doing the cleaning etc. Anything over that they're just being ignorant and should turn it down.

Did your OH go round in the end or did it calm down?

Twinklestar2 Tue 30-Jun-15 22:48:10

It calmed down at around half 6, just in time for babies bottle and bed - thank god!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now