Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to take 3 packs of pill back to back???

(27 Posts)
Burkey721 Tue 30-Jun-15 11:47:40

Is it safe to take 3 packs of marviol pill back to back?? I finished my pill last night but I am thinking about going onto my second as I don't want period this weekend as I've something on, however I will be due my next period the week I'm going on holidays, which will mean going on to my third pack!!! So have any of you done this before???

BloodyDogHairs Tue 30-Jun-15 12:01:48

I used to do 6 packs at a time when I was on the pill now I have the implant which is great, no periods and no pills to take.

StetsonsAreCool Tue 30-Jun-15 12:06:10

My GP once told me that lots of female doctors take 6 packs back to back, although they're not officially meant to recommend it.

3 was the most I ever took back to back. When I go back on the pill (waiting for first period since DS was born) I'll probably do the 6 month thing. Sounds lovely! grin

horseygeorgie Tue 30-Jun-15 12:07:30

No, its completely fine. The period you have when taking the pill isn't actually a true period. My Dr. told me it is actually for psychological reasons. You can back to back packs for a long time.

MissBananaMama Tue 30-Jun-15 12:08:17

A friend of mine was prescribed 6 months back to back of pill as she has endometriosis and was to alleviate her symptoms

sooperdooper Tue 30-Jun-15 12:10:15

I always used to take packs back to back, I was also told the only reason you're advised to take a break was because (male?) doctors assumed women would want a period (never felt that need myself!)

JennyOnAPlate Tue 30-Jun-15 12:24:30

The leaflet in mine says to take them back to back so that's what I do.

horseygeorgie Tue 30-Jun-15 12:28:52

quite why they assumed women actually WANTED a period is beyond me!

velourvoyageur Tue 30-Jun-15 12:44:06

Sooper grin indeed

won't it do anything to your fertility? wouldn't mind not having to faff around with an obstinate mooncup.

god, I love the pill. Isn't it amazing. Two years without a painful period and it's free! (for now)

MaidOfStars Tue 30-Jun-15 12:46:35

quite why they assumed women actually WANTED a period is beyond me

The person who invented the birth control pill was a staunch Christian and conceived (no pun intended) the four weekly cycle (including a "period") to match the Church's promotion of the rhythm method of contraception. It allowed the Pill to be marketed as a "natural" method that mimicked the natural rhythm of the female body, therefore no problem for religious types.

In general, fewer periods correlate with improved health. So taking packs back to back is probably good for you.

More here:
John Rock's Error by Malcolm Gladwell

horseygeorgie Tue 30-Jun-15 13:33:49

Ah thank you maidofstars that's interesting.

Dynomite Tue 30-Jun-15 13:48:21

I've done it, no problem (except for a bit of spotting). I was on Yasmin, don't know anything about marviol.

Burkey721 Tue 30-Jun-15 14:09:10

Thanks for all the advice girls think I will chance taking the 3 packs back to back!!!!!!!!!

littlejohnnydory Tue 30-Jun-15 14:34:09

I took pills back to back for years.

TeenAndTween Tue 30-Jun-15 14:42:17

If all the pills are the same, then you can always take say 2 packs plus 3 extra pills. You wouldn't need to take complete packs. There was a whole thread about this a month or two back ?in Chat?

rubyroux Tue 30-Jun-15 15:03:05

Can you take any type of pill back to back? I'm on Loestrin and took it back to back for about 3 years then saw a different doctor who said I absolutely couldn't do this. But first doctor said I could! Now I usually run a few packs together but have a break every few months or so. Would love to not have a period though, it turns me mental confused.

theowlwhowasafraidofthedark Tue 30-Jun-15 15:05:42

I used to take the pill 3 packs back to back for endometriosis. Towards the end of the last pack I always used to get breakthrough bleeding so just be aware that might happen. It was lovely though. Currently I'm breastfeeding to keep the dreaded period away - much more restrictive!

slightlyconfused85 Tue 30-Jun-15 16:19:30

I used to do it all the time on the pill. It's fine although when I did finally have a period it was a pretty bad one! smile

specialsubject Tue 30-Jun-15 17:09:25

ignore the advice not to take complete packs. Unless you want your periods stopping for nine months.

it is ok to back-to-back but it must be whole packs. Whether they are phasic or not doesn't matter for this.

Glitteryfrog Tue 30-Jun-15 17:40:39

I run as many as I can together.
I hatehatehatehatehate having periods.

happygirl87 Tue 30-Jun-15 18:05:14

Maidofstars that's brilliant!

MasterchefIwish Tue 30-Jun-15 19:41:00

Yes I have too but be prepared to possibly be very bloated by the last time- I found that when I did for a few months.

awombwithaview Tue 30-Jun-15 19:46:47

I ran my loestrin pill back to back for 3-4 packs at a time. I have endo and my periods were total bastards but the lovely pill sorted them out. I was also advised to back to back. I came off it 9 months ago and took a 3 month run of agnus castus and my periods haven't been painful since...pretty frickin' awesome! If they start up again I'll be back on loestrin and back to backing all the way. No periods = heaven!

LibrariesGaveUsPower Tue 30-Jun-15 19:55:34

It doesn't have to be whole packs special confused Assuming you are talking about the non-phased, 21 pills in a pack type.

What you must do is
- take at least a pack at a time. So, you could take a pack and then take 14 pills from the next pack;
- not leave a pill free gap of more than 7 days.

There is no magic to it being 21 days on 7 off. It could be 42 days on and 7 off. Or equally 35 days on and 7 off.

The problem with taking partial packs is mostly that you might forget how many were left when you started it IYSWIM.

Wideopenspace Tue 30-Jun-15 19:57:58

Always take them back to back and have done for years.

Periods are a pain in the ass.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now