Talk

Advanced search

to want to open the windows?

(15 Posts)
Krooski Tue 30-Jun-15 07:18:02

It's hot. In our sitting room we have top opening windows at the frotn and double doors at the back. I love to have both open, because that means there's a soft cooling breeze coming through the room, which is fresh and helps the room stay a bit cooler than outside.

However, my husband claims that drafts give him headaches, and to be honest, I don't believe that. Very cold wind, yes, but a cool breeze on a blistering day - no. I think it's just a folk tale which he happens to believe in. I usually let him be and only open the windows/doors when he's out, but with this hot weather I really hate having everything shut.

Do you think that drafts make you ill / give you headaches?

cherrytree63 Tue 30-Jun-15 07:20:21

My living room has the same window set up as yours and nobody gets headaches from them being open in my house!
Tell him to wear a balaclava.

Krooski Tue 30-Jun-15 07:32:46

grin balaclava! Awww, he'd look so cute sitting there with his laptop and his head all wrapped up.

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Tue 30-Jun-15 08:13:51

I love open windows.

However, I work with older people (nursing home) and there is a very definite 'fear' of a 'draft'.

My grandmother wouldn't even have car windows open because the draft would 'cut into' our necks and make our necks ache.

Some peeps are just terrified of fresh air..!

BlueBlueSea Tue 30-Jun-15 08:17:27

Wont he even let you open one of the doors/windows? How does he cope going outside? Does fresh air give him headaches. Maybe he should see his doctor.

ExcuseMyEyebrows Tue 30-Jun-15 08:18:27

I love fresh air, especially in hot weather, but it's really unpleasant having to sit in a draught.

So YANBU and YABU <helpful>

GGabcd Tue 30-Jun-15 08:20:19

Sounds like my FIL who is certain any open window = certain death. Even when it's 25C out.

Open one set only so there's no breeze? You know, compromise?

bloodyteenagers Tue 30-Jun-15 08:22:39

So he never goes out then, after all there's usually always a mild breeze.. Tell him to see a gp and get checked out.

BreconBeBuggered Tue 30-Jun-15 08:24:52

I kind of know what he means, as I get the same thing if I'm somewhere where the air conditioning is a bit fierce, however warm the outside temperature is.

A breeze through the room on a hot day, though? No. It's not cold enough to do that evil thing where it slips up your nose and freezes your brain.

I thought this was going to be about a hayfever sufferer & not wanting to let the pollen in! OP - YANBU. Is it even that breezy where you are right now?

foxmitten Tue 30-Jun-15 10:23:14

Hmm. I don't like being in a direct draft, or having a fan blowing directly at me, freaks me out. But I'd happily have the set up you describe. I have my French doors at the back of the house open, and the bathroom one upstairs. It's cooling the house quite nicely, and I can hear nice summery things like birds tweeting and lawnmowers going. I'd have the front room windows open if I could reach them!

Soooo I think ultimately YANBU, he doesn't have to be directly in the draft.

Purplepoodle Tue 30-Jun-15 13:03:55

Iv got all my windows open. Dh goes round closing themhmm

TheLastPickleInTheJar Tue 30-Jun-15 13:07:07

I dislike having windows open because of the flies. They always find their way in and i hate having them flying through the house. Need to get some fly screens.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 30-Jun-15 13:48:06

I'd have to LTBgrin I have every window open even including the loo one!

SophieJenkins Tue 30-Jun-15 14:31:51

We haven't been here long and sadly I've realised it does get really hot in this weather - we used to live on the ground floor, very hidden away with 10-11ft ceilings and it never got hot. It was lovely.

Now we are on the top two floors and it does build up. Could be a lot worse.

We have sash windows and I found we can only open the bottom ones which is a hazard for the nutty toddler.

But it needs to be done.
At least they do open here - the old flat they were nearly all painted shut with broken cords.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now