Talk

Advanced search

crossing light pride

(34 Posts)
snowglobemouse Tue 30-Jun-15 02:09:30

aibu to feel a ridiculous sense of pride when waiting at a crossing with other people and being the first to notice that the man has gone green? and being the first to confidently stride across the road like a dick

my life is not v exciting blush

sallysparrow157 Tue 30-Jun-15 03:03:50

I just like being the first one to press the button. Because I'm a 3 yr old.

snowglobemouse Tue 30-Jun-15 03:31:03

I'm not fussed on pressing the button. But incidentally, did you know about the spinning cone under the button press unit?

Meandyou150 Tue 30-Jun-15 05:28:22

Snow globe - found out about that the other day!!

MrsPeeee Tue 30-Jun-15 05:33:26

I salute you for.pressing the button! I hate it when you get to the traffic lights and there is a group of people waiting there all staring at the road, and nobody has pressed the button! I then make an exaggerated point of pressing it blush

velourvoyageur Tue 30-Jun-15 06:13:07

I thought this was about the gay couple traffic lights around Eurovision!

thought pressing the button served no purpose because it all works automatically? Like it was just there to make pedestrians feel more in control of the traffic? gosh I'm reallyconfused about this. What does pressing the button do? please enlighten me?

bustraintram Tue 30-Jun-15 06:26:14

It depends on the type of junction. If you are at one where the green man lights up at the same time as cars are stopped to allow other cars to go, you don't need to press the button usually. But if you are at a stand alone crossing where the only purpose of the lights is to stop traffic for pedestrians then you need to press the button - it would be silly to stop traffic unless you know pedestrians are waiting.

Littlefish Tue 30-Jun-15 06:31:58

snowglobe - I don't know about the spinning cone....

1Morewineplease Tue 30-Jun-15 07:55:19

A spinning cone???? Ooooh I'll have to check that one out!

DonkeyOaty Tue 30-Jun-15 08:38:24

Spinning cone?

I like bringing up the rear, sometimes I make shoo gestures as I swish people behind their backs. Haha.

Jasonandyawegunorts Tue 30-Jun-15 08:53:12

did you know about the spinning cone under the button press unit?

Yes it spins When the man turns green and the beeping starts. grin
Haven't thought about that since i was at school.

WorraLiberty Tue 30-Jun-15 08:57:29

I get irrationally angry when I press the button and wait, and then someone else comes along and presses the button too.

What the fuck is that about??? Pressing it twice doesn't make the green man appear any quicker!

I've already pressed it you bastard, now back off! angry

grin

Jasonandyawegunorts Tue 30-Jun-15 08:59:12

Sometimes i don't press the button and wait, one day i hope to get a whole crowed of people who assume the buttons been pressed.

Passmethecrisps Tue 30-Jun-15 09:01:18

I think ones which are traffic dependant are called toucan crossings. They monitor the traffic flow and whether a pedestrian has crossed so if you push but then dash across anyway it won't stop traffic.

Others will go green man after a while but only if you actually push the button.

I don't think that there are any which will just randomly produce a green man without any button pushing action.

I have a chum with a visual impairment who told me about the spinny cone - genius!

Passmethecrisps Tue 30-Jun-15 09:02:47

Oh. Just googled toucan crossing and got this gem of a fact for crossing fans

^ toucan crossing is a type of pedestrian crossing found in the United Kingdom that also allows bicycles to be ridden across.[1] Since two–can, both pedestrians and cyclists, cross together, the name "toucan" was chosen.^

Passmethecrisps Tue 30-Jun-15 09:03:37

I meant a puffin crossing.

Letmegetanamechange Tue 30-Jun-15 09:06:41

I heard that the spinning cone was for the crossings that don't make a sound when the green man appears. If you're blind/partially sighted you feel the little cone and when it spins you know it's safe to cross. I have often wondered if this was true, after feeling many of the boxes for the spinning cone and finding it had gone missing. Does anyone know it's true purpose??

I am one of those people who will wait at an empty road for the green man to appear. And still wait even so someone brazenly crosses when the man is still red.

And I always feel slightly foolish if I'm waiting to cross and cars have stopped already but the green man hasn't appeared (usually at bit junctions). I always think that the drivers are looking at me thinking 'why have you been standing there why I've been stopped for ages. Just cross now' confused I'm all about the safety and I don't want to get squashed

Letmegetanamechange Tue 30-Jun-15 09:09:02

*though, not so
*big, not bit

I haven't had caffeine yet! hmm

ghostyslovesheep Tue 30-Jun-15 09:09:27

Spinning cone helps deaf people as well ... But only if they can shove my children out of the way as they are obsessed with feeling it

ghostyslovesheep Tue 30-Jun-15 09:09:52

Deaf and partially sighted or blind x

snowglobemouse Tue 30-Jun-15 15:55:50

I also get annoyed by people who don't press the button and they just stand in a big group waiting for...nothing. worra ditto. IT'S BEEN PRESSED

Although now I'm wondering if pressing the button is futile and it's all just to make us feel in control a government conspiracy

Does anyone know if it's true that the 'close door' button on a lift isn't actually functional? another government conspiracy

vindscreenviper Tue 30-Jun-15 15:58:43

Ah, but do you know what a Pegasus crossing is?

snowglobemouse Tue 30-Jun-15 18:33:12

I do not...does it fly?

Jasonandyawegunorts Tue 30-Jun-15 18:34:03

I would have said, off the top of my head that it was to cross an airport landing strip.

vindscreenviper Tue 30-Jun-15 21:07:04

Oops sorry, I forgot about you blush
It's one of these, disappointing lack of wings on the horse though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now