Talk

Advanced search

To be worried about this smell

(27 Posts)
WhatsTheT Mon 29-Jun-15 23:39:54

Just about to put my head down and can smell a strong smell of fire. It's not my house of course, and I can't see any fire yet (live in a terraced street)

But the smell is enough to bother me. I have 6mo asleep at the end of the bed in her cot, in a long sleeved vest and a 2.5 grobag. thermometer says it's 22 degrees so I'm worried if I close the window she will be dangerously hot.

If I can smell fire is it unsafe to keep a window open?

TheFormidableMrsC Mon 29-Jun-15 23:43:16

I guess it depends on what's on fire? Is a neighbour having a bonfire? As long as the fire isn't in your house, I am sure opening the window will be fine. You could always remove the grobag and shut the window of course...

bluejeanswhiteshirt Mon 29-Jun-15 23:45:41

I was in a similar situation the other night and had to close windows and took dd out of her sleeping bag so that she didn't overheat.

WhatsTheT Mon 29-Jun-15 23:45:53

I don't know what the fire is I said I can't see anything.

I think she will be too cold removing the growbag even with the window closed.

noblegiraffe Mon 29-Jun-15 23:51:54

2.5 tog is quite thick in this weather. Check the back of baby's neck? They get sweaty if too hot.

griselda101 Mon 29-Jun-15 23:54:11

could be a bbq?

WhatsTheT Mon 29-Jun-15 23:55:09

I'm not asking for safe sleep advice in terms of tog. Went to 3 different supermarkets and that's all they had. She's fine with the window open... not what I'm asking.

SweetSorrow Mon 29-Jun-15 23:56:50

I'd feel really uncomfortable leaving the window open if I could smell fire, more so if I had a little one in the room. I'd remove her grobag and just use a sheet over her legs personally.

bluejeanswhiteshirt Mon 29-Jun-15 23:56:59

I'd close the window, the smell can't be good for little lungs. I'm a bit OTT but would rather not risk things.

CultureSucksDownWords Mon 29-Jun-15 23:57:41

How can anyone tell if the smoke/fumes are safe, as we don't know what's burning?

If you're worried about the fumes then shut the window.

CainInThePunting Tue 30-Jun-15 00:01:14

Close the window. Smoke inhalation kills.

TheFormidableMrsC Tue 30-Jun-15 00:01:47

I don't know where you are but I am in the South-East and it's bloody hot tonight. I would remove the gro-bag and shut the window if you are concerned about fumes. Use a cellular blanket and leave her in her long sleeved top. If she's cold she'll let you know but I think that's going to be unlikely....

WhatsTheT Tue 30-Jun-15 00:04:15

I'm way way up north. I've closed the window and put just a pair of pj pants on her and no sheets.

WhatsTheT Tue 30-Jun-15 00:11:10

still stinks though

griselda101 Tue 30-Jun-15 00:15:12

someone downstairs had a BBQ or bonfire earlier, my front door was open for a few minutes and I literally walked through the path and inside, in that few seconds my hair smelt completely of smoke.

keep the window shut and you will be fine.

WhatsTheT Tue 30-Jun-15 00:19:54

Doesn't smell like BBQ smells like a proper house fire, but there's no facebook or twitter gossip (which would be the usual in this town) and I can't see anything. Window has been open all day and this smell just came outa no where! She's asleep now with the window closed and no growbag, but I can taste smoke in my mouth so I daren't go to sleep sad

TheFormidableMrsC Tue 30-Jun-15 00:20:27

Baby will be fine...don't blame you about fumes. Just keep a check on temp and check her neck...I am sure it's not as warm up there... I only know that because I have family "way up North" too smile

griselda101 Tue 30-Jun-15 00:21:58

would it be worth calling the police to come take a look?

CainInThePunting Tue 30-Jun-15 00:25:03

Did you hear any fire engines? Don't you think you should report it?

CainInThePunting Tue 30-Jun-15 00:25:39

X post Griselda

WhatsTheT Tue 30-Jun-15 00:34:12

nope cant see any smoke or see anything, so if it is a fire it's a big one that's blown over. Definitely nothing in my surrounding area!

WhatsTheT Tue 30-Jun-15 00:34:47

regretting taking her sleeping bag off now she won#'t stay asleep. Going to be in for a night of it now haha

griselda101 Tue 30-Jun-15 00:46:45

awww

put some lullabies on (youtube with the screen off or something) in a darkened room and push the buggy back and forwards to get her off to sleep. might take half an hour but you will get there :-)

ChuffinAda Tue 30-Jun-15 00:47:29

Dont want to scare you but smelling smoke can be a sign of a stroke

Redglitter Tue 30-Jun-15 01:04:07

Why on earth would you phone the police to come & look for a fire hmm

if you're concerned about a fire phone the FIRE service confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now