Talk

Advanced search

To ask you to consider boycotting Warner bros? Tess Gerritsen

(13 Posts)
textfan Mon 29-Jun-15 19:56:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AlpacaPicnic Mon 29-Jun-15 19:59:33

Really? I don't see many similarities between the two except the title? And the space setting...
Can you explain more?

steff13 Mon 29-Jun-15 20:03:14

I've not heard of this either. What did the judges' decision say?

Spadequeen Mon 29-Jun-15 20:09:54

Need more info, not aware of this story

NannyR Mon 29-Jun-15 20:10:55

Just read the synopsis on amazon and I agree with the previous posters, it shares a title and is set in space, no other similarities I can see.

GGabcd Mon 29-Jun-15 20:12:26

The courts have decided. It has nothing to do with Warner Bros being big and Tess G being small.

It has to do with the fact that the book and the film are not all that similar.

So get the facts before you ask people to boycott things.

Boycotts don't work anyway. If they did Nestle would be long out of business.

Spadequeen Mon 29-Jun-15 20:18:13

Well I've watched the film and just read the blurb of the book, nothing like each other really.

textfan Mon 29-Jun-15 20:31:27

BadLad Wed 01-Jul-15 03:41:43

You can ask. But if they make films I want to watch, I'll watch them.

MidniteScribbler Wed 01-Jul-15 03:46:53

But if Warner Bros bought New Line and the purchases they had, then they own the rights to the film. Depending on her agreement with New Line would depend on how much she was owned if the film got made. So I presume the rights were sold and that was the end of it. Warner Bros made a film that was very similar to her story (not that I've seen the movie or read the book) which they own the rights to. I can't see where they've done anything wrong (just based on what you have posted here, I know nothing else about the case).

textfan Wed 01-Jul-15 04:14:48

textfan Wed 01-Jul-15 04:16:20

DoJo Wed 01-Jul-15 07:38:24

Warner bros are saying that even though they bought new line outright and took on it's contracts they're not obligated to honour it's contractual obligations

And it sounds like the courts agree - it's not Warner Bros fault that this is the way such things work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now