Advanced search

To want a referral to an ENT specialist and think my GP should be more interested?

(19 Posts)
listsandbudgets Mon 29-Jun-15 17:32:44

I have earache for the 5th time since the start of May. It usually goes on 3-4 days.

I've been to the doctor with it 3 times and each time they've insisted there is nothing wrong. This morning I was actually in tears from the pain and again I was told they couldn't see anything. Her tone implied I was making it up or it was psychosomatic.

When I have it I can't sleep, my throat hurts and every time I swallow its like someone has stuck a screw driver HARD into from my throat to my right ear. I am literally in tears from it a lot of the time.

I begged the GP to refer me this morning and she said there was nothing that could be done, to take paracetomol at home and she wasn't referring me. She also said there was nothig the GPs could do so not to come back with it unless it was noticably different sad

Clobbered Mon 29-Jun-15 17:36:31

I'm guessing there is more to this than your'e telling us, but if it's true, I'd see a different GP and see if you get a more sympathetic response, swiftly followed by a letter of complaint to the practice manager.

vvega Mon 29-Jun-15 17:38:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

listsandbudgets Mon 29-Jun-15 17:38:38

Yes its true clobbered. Im miserable and stressed.

I wish there was more to it sad

FermatCode Mon 29-Jun-15 17:39:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChazsBrilliantAttitude Mon 29-Jun-15 17:41:38

Do you have any problems with your jaw? Sometimes problems with the TMJ can cause earache type symptoms.

listsandbudgets Mon 29-Jun-15 17:47:59

I don't think I have problems with my teeth but am due a dentist appointment soon so will make sure I mention it. Thank you

ChuffinAda Mon 29-Jun-15 18:20:25

Have you got your wisdom teeth?

I have impacted wisdoms and when they move my ears hurt like hell I also have tmjd which isn't nice

I second a trip to the dentist

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Mon 29-Jun-15 18:43:11

When I had a semi-serious dental problem the only symptom I had was really bad ear ache

DoJo Mon 29-Jun-15 19:40:03

I was going to suggest jaw problems - my friend had awful ear-ache to the extent that he was convinced he's burst an ear drum, and it turned out he was grinding his teeth at night and had never been aware of it. Definitely ask your dentist if you are seeing them soon anyway.

FermatCode Mon 29-Jun-15 20:51:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

listsandbudgets Mon 29-Jun-15 21:18:14

Its not my wisdom teeth - I'm 99.9% certain of that as I had an opeeration to remove them when I was 13 because my mouth was overcrowded.

Other thigns are interesting will investigate thank you

Fizrim Mon 29-Jun-15 21:42:39

It's an unusual condition, but try looking up geniculate neuralgia. That has stabbing pains in the ear and the ear wouldn't look any different (eg it wouldn't look like it had an infection that the GP could see).

If it is any type of neuralgia (nerve pain) then paracetamol won't work well on the pain unfortunately. But I suspect you already know this! Does paracetamol help at all?

RoobyTuesday Mon 29-Jun-15 22:05:52

Go to the dentist and make sure it isn't a dental problem
Then go back to your GP and say if they don't know what is causing your pain you would like to be referred to somebody who can find out.
ENT can put a tube down your nose and have a look at your sinuses and throat and do a CT scan if necessary,
If the GP can't manage your problem they need to refer you to someone who can.
It is chronic if it's been going on for several weeks and needs looking into.

PiperChapstick Mon 29-Jun-15 22:08:17

OP have you contacted PALS??

runes Mon 29-Jun-15 22:08:33

I could have written your post a few weeks ago. I had ongoing ear and general head/throat pains since easter. Went to gp twice, second time I asked for ent referral. She did refer me but waiting list was 10 monthsshock I was pretty distressed at this point, of course had googled and self diagnosed with all sorts wink Anyway, for the first time ever I went private. £130 and saw a consultant a week later. He did an endoscopy and referred me for a scan just to check the right ear as I also had unilateral tinnitus. In the meantime he advised a nasal spray which I used with an antihistamine and I must say my symptoms are much better. I have never been diagnosed with any allergies but I'm curious now as the antihistamime really seemed to help.

HappydaysArehere Mon 29-Jun-15 22:18:46

The above could have been written by me. I am still using the spray and told to use antihistamine. It has improved but hasn't gone. I am hoping to get an appointment with Benenden as local NHS has long waiting times. I am beginning to think it will never go. I have had it about three or more months. Do hope you get sorted with another GP.

electionfatigue Mon 29-Jun-15 22:20:08

ime they arent so hot on diagnosing.

Am keen to know how I can do the prescribing bit without doing the diagnosing first.......what a stupid comment.

WoodliceCollection Mon 29-Jun-15 22:21:02

Can you get an appointment with a nurse practitioner? I went to GP a couple of times for sinus infection, and without even examining my nose or anything they said paracetamol and go away. The next time it came up, I went to the nurse prac, who actually looked in my throat and nose, and prescribed antibiotics and steroid spray, which cleared it up within a couple of weeks (had dragged on for months before that). I think they are sometimes a bit less under pressure than GPs so have more time to actually look at things and be sympathetic!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: