Talk

Advanced search

to expect festival goers to pick up their own litter?

(64 Posts)
tripletrouble Mon 29-Jun-15 16:38:37

I thought that the people who go to Glastonbury are generally educated people who care about the environment. How come they left all that litter?

WhetherOrNot Mon 29-Jun-15 16:40:09

Because a lot of people get paid to pick it up, ergo.....employment for someone.

downgraded Mon 29-Jun-15 16:41:34

Where did you hear that?

They look like a bunch of nitrous oxide inhaling louts to me.

YUDOTHIS Mon 29-Jun-15 16:41:47

I actually see no problem with littering. It gives someone a job does it not?

GinUpGirl Mon 29-Jun-15 16:43:20

Big events = litter. Somebody gets a job. I can't see a problem.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Mon 29-Jun-15 16:44:33

I expect they think that they've paid so bloody much for a ticket, someone else can clear up after them.

mistymeanour Mon 29-Jun-15 16:45:58

I think it is "volunteers" who pick it up - unpaid young people who "work" at the festival in return for a free ticket ( they work very very hard throughout the festival and don't usually get to see that many bands according to my DC's friends). I think it's disgusting - all those thousands of abandoned tents and chairs etc that just get binned. People should clear up their pitch at the end - it sets a really awful precedent.

googoodolly Mon 29-Jun-15 16:45:58

Given how totally rammed Glastonbury gets, it would be pretty impossible to clear up spills or whatever during concerts and the like, but I think it's pretty disgusting not to clear up around the campsites.

Although, like PP's said, it gives someone a job.

tripletrouble Mon 29-Jun-15 16:46:37

Is it really old-fashioned of me then to think that littering is anti-social?

GinUpGirl Mon 29-Jun-15 16:49:12

I think littering is anti-social in a community setting, but not on a purposely designated event site when clean up provisions are in place for afterwards.

downgraded Mon 29-Jun-15 16:49:15

No, I think it's anti social. I think it's disgusting.

Why would you want to live like a pig for three days, wallowing in your own rubbish?

It's like a large, litter strewn, overflowing toilet infested refugee camp.

And people pay for the privilege!

WickedWax Mon 29-Jun-15 16:50:01

we just got back from Glastonbury, we picked up after ourselves every day but the whole place is disgusting, it was like a landfill site by yesterday.

people were literally a few meters from the bins and still just lashed their rubbish on the floor.

I also overheard a grown man, who looked to be in his late 30's laughing with his mates about the fact he'd shit all over the toilet seat and left it there.

Heels99 Mon 29-Jun-15 16:50:59

The bins At Glastonbury are alwAys overflowing with piles of bin bags next to them. Seriously by day three the place is utterly rank.

scribblegirl Mon 29-Jun-15 16:52:30

It depends what you mean by litter. I'm a regular festival goer and frankly, you can bag up all the empty bottles, food wrappers etc that you like, the bins are full by halfway through Saturday and weather/wind/rain doesn't help. Some years it rains so much that rubbish just gets washed away - people are living in tents, they don't have the facilities to keep e.g. empty boxes cleared away without them turning into disintegrated mulch.

You can try your best but I find it really difficult to keep on top of wrappers etc. And you can't really have a bin bag on the go because it attracts insects and starts rotting surprisingly quickly in the english summer sun, so short of using a new bin liner/carrier bag for every empty packet (not very eco friendly!) you're screwed.

That said, people who leave tents/sleeping bags/big items for disposal are just massively entitled idiots who think that it's someone's job to clean up for them. Thankfully, I don't know any festival goers who would consider doing that and I certainly wouldn't camp with them again if they left stuff just because they were too tired to carry it back after the weekend's revellry.

downgraded Mon 29-Jun-15 16:52:36

Urgh, you see?

Grim. I'd pay £150 to be allowed to stay at home.

Heels99 Mon 29-Jun-15 16:53:23

Yes having Been there I would say it is like a Refugee camp but with less access to a tap.

LaChatte Mon 29-Jun-15 16:58:12

I used to do litter picking at Glastonbury in the 90's in exchange for free entry. We had shifts, which weren't overly long so had plenty of time to make the most of the festival, however people generally used the bins and didn't leave much behind. I pity this year's litter pickers, is disgusting the amount of waste left behind, and the complete opposite of what Glastonbury festival was originally supposed to stand for.

scribblegirl Mon 29-Jun-15 16:58:17

Those of us that go think it's worth the trade off - I totally understand that others don't but there are people who think it's worth putting up with it! smile

scribblegirl Mon 29-Jun-15 16:58:45

Sorry, that message was to downgraded and heels.

ChuffinAda Mon 29-Jun-15 16:59:10

All festivals are the same. It's not usually confined to site either but also the surrounding town. It's grim.

Heels99 Mon 29-Jun-15 16:59:45

Scribble, I do go! Doesn't mean I can't say the place is a tip!

Idontseeanydragons Mon 29-Jun-15 16:59:56

Wrt tents don't the organisers donate the ones left?
YAdefinitelyNU about the rubbish, the pics I saw looked awful today.

ChuffinAda Mon 29-Jun-15 17:01:40

At some festivals the tents go to homeless charities

Nettletheelf Mon 29-Jun-15 17:03:30

I don't understand why selfish behaviour should be excused on the grounds that "it gives somebody a job".

You could say the same for crime (at least it gives the police something to do, eh?) and violence (at least it provides gainful employment for ambulance crew and NHS staff)

PelvicFloorClenchReminder Mon 29-Jun-15 17:04:41

I litter picked at Glastonbury once, people are way more disgusting than you might imagine. Let's just say some people couldn't be arsed walking all the way to the portaloos to take a dump. Seriously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now