To dislike dogs off their leads on a beach

(40 Posts)
acatisnotjustforeaster Mon 29-Jun-15 07:11:14

Really like dogs and lots of my friends and family have nice well trained pooches. No problem with a responsible dog owner. However, I have visited the beach with my 3 dc all under 5 recently and our favourite local beaches are now over run with dogs running around off the lead. We have had dogs peeing on our tent, stealing our lunch and stealing toys. Not to mention these dogs are all at toddler height and it's quite frightening for little ones to have s barking jumping dog so nearby. Not sure what the solution is. Maybe keep them on a lead? Restrict the hours they are allowed on beaches (early morn, later in the eve). Aibu?

BigGreenOlives Mon 29-Jun-15 07:13:22

Lots of beaches are dog free or only on leads, I think you've had bad luck.

DorisLessingsCat Mon 29-Jun-15 07:16:49

Where abouts are you? Here in Cornwall all the family friendly beaches have summer dog bans (quite right IMO, and I'm a dog owner). It could be worth raising it with the parish or local council.

The other compromise is a dog ban 7 am to 7 pm.

MagratGarlik Mon 29-Jun-15 07:17:52

If the dogs are peeing on your tent, stealing your food etc that is a training problem, not a being off lead problem. The beach is one of the few places of two dogs can reliably be let off the lead (whippet and lurcher) as it is one of the few places they are unlikely to take off having spotted a small fury. They both look beautiful when running on the beach, so yabu. There are enough beaches where dogs are banned over the summer, why don't you go to one of those instead, rather than choosing one of the (few) dog friendly beaches if you dislike dogs so much?

schilke Mon 29-Jun-15 07:20:05

Well I would be horrified if my dog acted like that, so think you've just met a few naughty owners. It's pretty hard to find a beach to take a dog on, that is also nice enough to spend the day on with the dc, so I wouldn't want any more restrictions.

hellhasnofurylikeahungrywoman Mon 29-Jun-15 07:21:48

We have dog friendly beaches and we have beaches were dogs are not allowed between May and Oct, they often sit side-by-side so everyone should be able to access the kind of beach they want to be on.

acatisnotjustforeaster Mon 29-Jun-15 07:22:47

I realise there are other beaches where dogs aren't allowed. I just feel it a shame that the 3 beaches most local to me allow unrestricted dogs. Surely every over beach would be more appropriate?
I also acknowledge its a training issue. As I said in my op I have no problem worth a well trained dog and a responsible owner. However, how on earth do I know what owners are responsible and train their dogs? It's impossible to tell so consequently treat every dog as a risk.

NRomanoff Mon 29-Jun-15 07:27:24

Some beaches allow it, some don't. Which I think is fair. It's great walking the dog on the beach, letting it run.

But if all the beaches near you allow dogs off the lead why not approach the council or parish (whoever would decide) this and point out its ruining the experience for families and to have at least one where dogs should be on a lead. The council/parish don't know there is a problem until someone tells them.

Blowingoffsteam Mon 29-Jun-15 07:30:58

I agree, and I'm a dog owner. Near us the beach is divided into dog friendly/ dog free areas , clearly signed. However when I pointed this out to a woman yesterday ( who was about to take her dog into the dog free area) I was met with a mouthful of abuse.

EponasWildDaughter Mon 29-Jun-15 07:41:24

YANBU

I think you need to start petitioning your local council. Where abouts are you OP?

I love dogs, grew up with dogs as pets and have kept dogs myself. The rules have been tightened in the last 10 years or so, i believe, but in the past my dogs have gone with us on UK hols and joined us on the beach. (always on a lead and/or long rope attached to the wind break). It IS fun, and nice to be able to take the whole 'family' onto the beach, but that (or the fact they ''look beautiful'' hmm) doesn't negate all the possible problems taking dogs on the beach can cause.

These days there always seems to be so many people who will take a mile if you give an inch. ie: ''Dogs allowed but must be kept on a leash'' is interpreted as 'Dogs allowed - do what you like!'.

The answer? Dog free beaches between 7am and 7pm if folk cant stick to the rules.

acatisnotjustforeaster Mon 29-Jun-15 08:03:55

Agree with the hours restriction epinas. A fair compromise.

schilke Mon 29-Jun-15 09:11:49

You see I don't like that hours restriction. It's hardly a compromise if you have dc and a dog and are away on holiday. We rent a house while away and we can't leave the dog alone in the house - it's the rules of renting usually. I don't think the dc would be impressed if I say we can't go to the beach until 7pm.

Yes, keep them on a lead during those hours, but banning altogether is a bit much.

DorisLessingsCat Mon 29-Jun-15 09:17:55

The problem is schilke that too many dog owners don't clean up after their dogs, so even dogs on leads leave poo behind that kids then play in/amongst. And the policing of dogs on leads is so much harder - as Eponas said, people break that rule regularly.

We had a small child and a dog and just accepted that, for a few years, life was going to be a tiny bit more inconvenient. It's the fair thing to do when it's about the health and welfare of the majority.

schilke Mon 29-Jun-15 09:34:21

To be fair I hate the beach when it's sunny, so it's not often a problem for us - Isle of Arran this year and don't think there are dog restrictions there!

I understand the problem, but there's always some issue at the beach - people using BBQs on beaches when they're not allowed (that's my pet hate as I hate the smell of BBQs), children stealing spades (and trying to nick our inflatable whale out of the tent) and kicking sand in other kids' faces etc.. Perhaps I go to the wrong beaches! You can tell I love beaches can't you?!

I think the op is entirely reasonable to ask dogs to be restricted at one of her local beaches, but I certainly wouldn't want a daytime ban on every beach.

maninawomansworld Mon 29-Jun-15 09:48:19

The problem is dogs being out of control , not being off leads.

Unfortunately ill disciplined dogs and lazy owners cause councils to impose bans or restrictions on dogs which unfairly penalises responsible owners with well behaved dogs. I understand why they do it, people don't follow the rules so best to ban dogs altogether.

I think some give and take is in order to be honest, popular 'family' beaches which are busy should ban dogs as to be frank they are just a pain, but slightly more remote beaches which rarely get busy should be left open.

The Gower in South Wales is a bit like this. In theory there is a blanket ban on dogs in the summer between certain hours but if you go west a bit, towards the more remote beaches which are usually quite empty even in mid summer you will find that many people do take dogs and it is tolerated provided they don't cause trouble. Conversely, the busy 'family 'beaches nearer Swansea such as Caswell are pretty zero tolerance and dogs are definitely not welcome.

MidnightDinosaur Mon 29-Jun-15 10:05:00

YANBU

Here in NZ dogs are allowed on most beaches all the time in winter but during summer they're not allowed on at all between 10am and 6pm.

I have a dog, and think that's a fair compromise. Even as a dog owner, I like my summer days with the dc on the beach without dogs running all over the place.

EvaBee Mon 29-Jun-15 10:22:33

www.facebook.com/picturemagazine/videos/vb.119997518036178/873308232705099/?type=2&theater

EvaBee Mon 29-Jun-15 10:30:37

they don't let dogs off leads on beacheshttps://www.facebook.com/picturemagazine/videos/vb.119997518036178/873308232705099/?type=2&theater

sorry, I posted the first one too soon

Stratter5 Mon 29-Jun-15 10:44:45

Ours are divided into dogs allowed, and dogs banned in summer. The beaches around the towns and tourist areas are all no dogs during the summer season, and only the rural, out of the way, emptyish ones allow dogs.

It works very well until you get someone arsey because they want to be at a particular beach, and it's a dog friendly one.

slippermaiden Mon 29-Jun-15 10:51:47

Most beaches have a t least a section that is dog free. I'm not a big fan of dogs, but I've never experienced this. Once an owner planned on leaving her dogs poo on the sand, she didn't once I spoke to her wink

BrendaBlackhead Mon 29-Jun-15 11:03:31

I am a devoted dog owner, and agree that popular beaches should be dog free in the summer. Less popular ones should be leash only, and then others can be dog free for all!

It is hardly pleasant for a dog to be trapped on a crowded beach with all those smells and noises and (remote possibility) heat.

To someone saying that dog ban 7-7 doesn't suit them, well look at the beach terms before booking a holiday! I would have liked to have taken my dog away this summer, but I thought it just wouldn't work. For a start you need secure fenced accommodation, an area close by for exercise, and then if the dcs want to go to the beach/days out you are stymied regarding the dog. My dog will be enjoying some dog boarding with a nice garden.

acatisnotjustforeaster Mon 29-Jun-15 19:13:18

I know most dog owners are responsible but I just know a few aren't and these are the dogs that spoil it for everyone

SideOrderofChips Mon 29-Jun-15 19:49:18

Here in Jersey we are the same as NZ. From May till October, dogs and horses are banned from the beach between 10am and 6pm

aderynlas Mon 29-Jun-15 20:23:53

I have no problem with dogs. Dont even mind dogs on beaches. Was so annoyed that someone thought covering the mess their dog made with sand was a bright idea though. Little ones sandals and toes were filthy.

cashewnutty Mon 29-Jun-15 20:36:43

I love walking my dog on the beach but would never do it on a lovely day in the height of summer. I worry my dog would snaffle a picnic more than anything else .

If people used common sense these problems wouldn't happen. As it happens my favourite time on the beach is mid winter in a howling gale. No picnics to snaffle then!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now