Talk

Advanced search

Sponsoring DD

(157 Posts)
DisappointedOne Sun 28-Jun-15 20:47:07

DD is 4 and had her first ever sponsored event this week. It was quite a challenge for her and her little legs in terms of distance and hills, but she did it and is very pleased with herself. She understands that it's to raise money for the school and has asked the neighbours etc to sponsor her, which they've been happy to do. She's raised over £50 from neighbours and my side of the family (not including us).

DH's family: DD's grandparents, 3 uncles, 2 aunts and 5 cousins have sponsored her the grand total of £5. She obviously has no concept of this being a kick in the teeth, but I'm fucking fuming on her behalf.

We'll be driving the best part of 600 miles in one day next weekend to attend a christening for one of them. WIBU to spend the grand sum of 41.7p (£5/12) on a card and gift?

CherylBerylMeryl Sun 28-Jun-15 20:48:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

julesnbump Sun 28-Jun-15 20:49:59

What Cheryl said

DisappointedOne Sun 28-Jun-15 20:51:39

Wtf?!

PHANTOMnamechanger Sun 28-Jun-15 20:51:53

gosh OP, you sound rather entitled!

DisappointedOne Sun 28-Jun-15 20:53:23

How so exactly? I've re-read the OP and don't see anything obviously unreasonable..........

WorraLiberty Sun 28-Jun-15 20:53:36

FFS what Cheryl said with bells on!

CakeNinja Sun 28-Jun-15 20:54:36

Fuck me I'm at a total loss for words. shock

Apart from this:
You sound like a massive bellend.

DisappointedOne Sun 28-Jun-15 20:55:04

Seriously. If I'm being unreasonable please explain how. I have to see these people next week and will be tired etc so I'd be grateful to know how their behaviour is considered reasonable but mine isn't.

fastdaytears Sun 28-Jun-15 20:55:29

This is amazing...

DisappointedOne Sun 28-Jun-15 20:56:46

The christening is basically an excuse for a piss up and to get presents, BTW.

fastdaytears Sun 28-Jun-15 20:57:23

Your daughter/you chose for her to do this event which is great. Your ILs can choose to sponsor her a lot, a little bit or nothing at all. It's 100% up to them and you have no right at all to expect anything or be mad that they didn't meet your expectations.

Tbh your daughter's attitude seems the right one.

DisappointedOne Sun 28-Jun-15 20:59:33

There is, of course, history here (where they ignore/forget DD's birthday repeatedly) which doesn't help.

Klayden Sun 28-Jun-15 21:00:44

You cannot be serious. grin

msgrinch Sun 28-Jun-15 21:01:05

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

WorraLiberty Sun 28-Jun-15 21:02:37

Do them all a favour and stay home on the day of the Christening.

CatMilkMan Sun 28-Jun-15 21:03:33

This isn't going to go well, anyone bring the pop corn?

Stickerrocks Sun 28-Jun-15 21:04:54

You have a lot to learn about sponsored school events. The only person expected to sponsor your child is you. It sounds as though your neighbours and family have been very generous, but it's incredibly difficult to refuse a cute 4 year old. Please don't go knocking on their doors for the next 7 years every time the school asks for more sponsorship. It wears a little thin when all the parents in the area expect their neighbours to keep handing over the cash. As for the other side of the family, you may get a little more cash when you see them in person, but not everyone wants to send sponsorship hundreds of miles in the post.

987flowers Sun 28-Jun-15 21:05:17

You are not an entitled twat at all, remember this is mumsnet where one person goes off and everyone agrees.

I too would be a bit pissed off but I think you've just got to suck it up and realise that's what his family are like. If it's with a history of missing birthday presents then I can see what you'd be upset.

FadedRed Sun 28-Jun-15 21:05:59

Be proud and happy for your little one. smile
Be glad she 'has no concept of this being a kick in the teeth'. hmm
Don't sour your happy memory of her achievement by making it an opportunity to bad mouth your in-laws. sad
Charity giving is a personal choice and sponsored events are a PITA, even for kids.

bustraintram Sun 28-Jun-15 21:07:14

Drip, drip, drip...

But in this instance, YABU, I hate the very concept of sponsored xyz and you shouldn't feel entitled to any sponsorship money from anybody

FadedRed Sun 28-Jun-15 21:08:33

PS- and don't post on AIBU and not expect that there is a 50% chance of getting a kicking........grin

DisappointedOne Sun 28-Jun-15 21:09:30

As for the other side of the family, you may get a little more cash when you see them in person, but not everyone wants to send sponsorship hundreds of miles in the post.

Hmmmm. My 87 year old nan managed to send money over 200 miles by something called "internet banking". I'm fairly certain Internet banking has even reached Yorkshire obviously not.

CherylBerylMeryl Sun 28-Jun-15 21:11:22

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now