Talk

Advanced search

WIBU to take 3yo DS on holidays during term time?

(19 Posts)
inthenickoftime Sun 28-Jun-15 14:59:43

As the title says I am thinking about take DS on holidays for 4/5 nights in the next few weeks before the prices become extortionate.

My question to you lovely lot is:
Could I be fined for taking him out of school when he's not at the compulsory school age?

inthenickoftime Sun 28-Jun-15 15:00:24

Also any suggestions for a child friendly holiday in Spain/Balearics?

Sirzy Sun 28-Jun-15 15:00:56

A 3 year old isn't at school so no you couldn't be fined

TidyDancer Sun 28-Jun-15 15:02:38

I'm confused as to why you would think this rule applies to a 3 year old?

Depends what you want out of a holiday, but my two loved lanzarote.

Toffeelatteplease Sun 28-Jun-15 15:02:58

He's three you're fine

Klayden Sun 28-Jun-15 15:03:35

Surely, he's not in school though?!

Sparklingbrook Sun 28-Jun-15 15:03:50

It doesn't count as holiday in term time unless your child is at school. Minorca?

inthenickoftime Sun 28-Jun-15 15:03:50

He goes to the afternoon nursery at the school he will join reception class in.

He's been unwell with his asthma lately and they've mentioned his attendance and having to mark him as unwell in the register so I think they still take it quite seriously.

As long as they won try and fine my ex for me going on holidays then that's fine!

Fairy13 Sun 28-Jun-15 15:05:41

He's not in school?
If he's in nursery and you pay for it you might find you still need to pay the fees regardless or half fees, but that's not a 'fine' - just keeping his place.

Really not sure why you think 'they' -(who?) would fine you?

HighOverTheFenceLeapsSunnyJim Sun 28-Jun-15 15:09:21

Our school makes a big deal about absence in nursery, big emphasis on getting into good habits for school attendance (issues with attendance further up the school). But they can't fine you for absence in the nursery year.

Nellyinwellies Sun 28-Jun-15 15:09:57

Mine is also in nursery attached to school. They do take attendance seriously, I suppose as they have learning outcomes to cover and if a child has poor attendance then their learning might be impeded. But I don't think they/council can actually do anything about it. Enjoy your holiday!

RedCrayons Sun 28-Jun-15 15:11:36

He's just at nursery. Do it.

Stanky Sun 28-Jun-15 15:12:41

I don't think that they can fine you for term time holidays until your child is over 5.

EeyoresTail Sun 28-Jun-15 15:14:26

Echo everyone else saying do it.
You've not got much longer before you do have to start worrying about being fined.

DragonMamma Sun 28-Jun-15 15:14:34

DC here (Wales) go to school ft from 3 and I've not been fined for taking them out of school, they simply acknowledge my notification to them and say no action will be taken as they aren't of compulsory school age.

My older DC, who is of compulsory school age, is allowed time off as long as their overall attendance doesn't drop below 94%.

Stanky Sun 28-Jun-15 15:16:43

Wales have a far more sensible approach. We don't go on holiday any more because of these fines.

inthenickoftime Sun 28-Jun-15 15:20:37

Thanks all, I can start looking at sunny places now grin DS will be so excited to go on an airplane.

PotteringAlong Sun 28-Jun-15 15:24:29

Just as an aside, just because he is at the school nursery doesn't mean he will get a place at the school - that's not how it works!

inthenickoftime Sun 28-Jun-15 18:21:37

I know that's not usually how it works but this school has accepted every child that applies since I can remember. Hopefully that won't change in the next couple of years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now