Talk

Advanced search

Just sent my DD to the shop on her own!

(44 Posts)
FuckitFay Sun 28-Jun-15 12:43:16

She's 8 and very mature. It's a smallish supermarket and the end of the car park is 200m from my road... One road to cross (that I can see from my window) and two zebra crossings across the car park. I'm sure she's old enough but I'm just feeling unsure as I don't know anyone around here who lets their 8 yr old into town on their own... But we do live very close to the town centre and is a large town and our friends and people from school live all over the town, possibly I don't see other children out by their own because it's not possible logistically. I'm sitting watching out the window for her to come back with the burger buns for lunch!

DamsonInDistress Sun 28-Jun-15 12:48:13

If you've rehearsed what she needs to do and are confident that she is confident, then I'm sure it will be fine. It's one of those measured steos towards independence that worry us parents more than it does the kids!

usualsuspect333 Sun 28-Jun-15 12:50:11

She will be fine. The first steps to giving them some independence are always hard.

youbethemummylion Sun 28-Jun-15 12:51:39

I'm sure she will be fine. We have just started letting our 9 year old go to the shop/to his friends house alone. It is nerve racking but I'm sure she will be fine.

tametempo Sun 28-Jun-15 12:52:11

Well done for taking the plunge. I bet she's loving it! She'll be fine. smile

youbethemummylion Sun 28-Jun-15 12:52:31

That should say 8 not 9!

MrsAukerman Sun 28-Jun-15 12:54:14

Let us know how it goes.

chickenfuckingpox Sun 28-Jun-15 13:37:24

mine was "just" nine when she first went i had swine flu we needed food so she scrubbed herself up and went

she was fine

FuckitFay Sun 28-Jun-15 13:57:38

She was back in less than 10 minutes and was really proud of herself! She chose a checkout operator who looked nice smile. She wants to go again whenever I have forgotten to buy something from the shop. Feels so strange that my little girl is getting so independent! I felt certain logically that she was old enough and it was very low risk given that I can see her nearly walk into the car park, but I felt anxious and couldn't work out if that was normal or in my gut instinct telling me it was the wrong thing to do! Sounds like it's normal and when it comes to gaining independence I should go with my head and not my heart!

windchime Sun 28-Jun-15 16:31:11

My DD is 9 and there is absolutely no way I would let her go to the shop by herself. I don't know any mother in this (quaint rural) town who would. It only takes one chance encounter with a pervert. RIP April Jones, Sarah Payne, Holly & Jessica ............etc.

Preciousbane Sun 28-Jun-15 16:33:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ladyrosy Sun 28-Jun-15 16:34:23

Children are more likely to be abused in the home by someone they know than be abused by strangers. Her going out is safer for her. ;)

manicinsomniac Sun 28-Jun-15 16:37:20

Glad it went well.

My eldest has been going to the village shop on her own since she was 6. Granted it's only a tiny village store 3 minutes walk away and we have a population of about 300 but still, I couldn't see her at all once she'd left the house.

I think it's fine.

ppolly Sun 28-Jun-15 16:38:54

Mine is 10 and loves going to post office on her own. We are in a village where everyone knows each other and she is sensible.

Finola1step Sun 28-Jun-15 16:49:29

Blimey Windchime

PotteringAlong Sun 28-Jun-15 16:51:40

Really windchime? Really?

VolumniaDedlock Sun 28-Jun-15 16:54:11

i sent dd1 to the shop from 7 - she's now 8. It's a couple of streets away, but no roads to cross as such - just the entrance of a pub car park to negotiate. she knows all the emergency/stranger rules, and she really relishes this little bit of independence.

I don't know anyone else who lets their DC out unaccompanied round here though - in fact there are very few DC at school whose parents don't still wait in the playground even though their DC are now year 3.

yellowcurtains Sun 28-Jun-15 17:00:12

Wow windchime! Make sure you never let your children out of your sight...
what will your children do when they have to go to secondary school by themselves, and have no clue how to take care of themselves? Or university? Or get a job?

Our job as parents is to nurture our children and prepare them for independence.

guinnessgirl Sun 28-Jun-15 17:03:10

FFS windchime. So at what point before the age of 18 is it OK for the OP to start to allow her DD some independence? Or should she wrap her in cotton wool and then throw her out on her own at 18th and hope for the best? angry

mommyof23kids Sun 28-Jun-15 17:09:23

I left my 7yr old in the car on an overcast cool afternoon to go into the supermarket and got abused by a woman who said she could die in there on her own.
She called security and said she was calling the police. The poor kid just wanted to play with her new doll. I feel like I can't let my kids take even small independent steps because I don't want to get branded as an abuser. This has been a good thread to read.

Starlightbright1 Sun 28-Jun-15 17:09:29

You have to judge this on your own child. I let my DS go and pay for stuff on his own. Go in a shop on his own..He holds himself different , tries to act grown up. I certainly went to the local shop for my mum for milk at that age however logistically it is not doable and he doesn't bother to look properly crossing a road.
Glad it went well.

Finola1step Sun 28-Jun-15 17:17:23

I was going to the shops on short errands at this age.

My ds is 7 and it will be a few more years before I can send him to our local shop. That's because it is a 15 minute walk, across a main road with no zebra crossing, cross four more side roads etc. It's not like the simple walk around the back of the flats I had at his age.

Sending our dc to the shops is much more about road safety in reality than anything more sinister.

WhetherOrNot Sun 28-Jun-15 17:23:07

It only takes one chance encounter with a pervert. RIP April Jones, Sarah Payne, Holly & Jessica ............etc.

i am sure that has REALLY helped the OP!!!!

NRomanoff Sun 28-Jun-15 17:27:01

My 10 year old wouldn't do this. However our nearest shop is 30 mins walk, one way. If we had one closer I would let her. Definitely.

Theas18 Sun 28-Jun-15 17:30:22

Well done op! This was a measured, risk asessed thought out start to independence - you both need a big well done!

Agree re the more like.y to be abused at home than out! The biggest risk to her safety is the road and there are crossings.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now