Talk

Advanced search

commenting on looks

(13 Posts)
Fluffybear86 Sun 28-Jun-15 01:13:36

Why do people feel the need to comment on looks? I get so many people saying how white i am (English rose!) And how small i am (5'3 not small imo). I notice peoples excess weight etc but would never say as im a decent person!

Flambola Sun 28-Jun-15 01:28:28

I love people telling me how gorgeous and exotic I am.

Flambola Sun 28-Jun-15 01:29:02

I love people telling me how gorgeous and exotic I am.

Bullshitbingo Sun 28-Jun-15 08:26:52

I generally don't mind as long as it's flattering grin
I don't think it's right to insult people, or talk about how someone else looks behind their backs, but appearance is part of life. How we look is the first thing that people notice about us, no point pretending otherwise.

RoboticSealpup Sun 28-Jun-15 08:29:03

YANBU to get annoyed with this. I'm quite slim, and when I was pregnant I lost count of how many people told me I look soooo much better with a bit more weight on me. I lost all the weight four months later, so now they're back to moaning about how thin (and pale) I am.

SaucyJack Sun 28-Jun-15 08:39:10

I don't think there's much wrong with either of the two examples listed. Nowt wrong with being short or pale.

Some things are best not mentioned tho. I remember bumping into someone I hadn't seen since school loudly exclaiming that my skin looked really good now my spots had cleared up. Yeah, thanks (!)

Fluffybear86 Sun 28-Jun-15 08:47:48

I just find it offensive as i.dont make bitchy comments about other peoples appearance or expect them to change in anyway x

Sickoffrozen Sun 28-Jun-15 08:53:13

Tends to be a female thing this and I don't like it either. Unfortunately, so many women are brainwashed at an early age as to what perfect looks like, not many ever believe they are anywhere close to it and as such have huge confidence issues.

Can you imagine a load of blokes doing this when they meet up! I don't think a bloke would notice if one of their mates had a head transplant as long as he was getting a round in!

Alwayswiththechords Sun 28-Jun-15 09:31:58

I'm a twin and all my life me and my sis have had people telling us to stand next to each other so they can analyse our looks to see the differences, it really is the worst thing ever for a growing child and especially a teenager to be under constant scrutiny and people publicly pointing out your flaws in comparison to someone else. I was always the bigger, wider, stronger, bulkier, butch one. My sis was delicate, slim, small etc. We both hate it to this day, I still refuse to sit next to her anywhere as I know people are doing it in their heads.

mrsdavidbowie Sun 28-Jun-15 09:37:44

I'm very tall and had this all my life.
I usually smile and say "yes I am".

Although I did tell a man at a party once ( who was banging on about length of my legs) " do you honestly think someone as gorgeous as me would be interested in a shortarse like you"

MrsHathaway Sun 28-Jun-15 10:13:25

DH is tall. He gets complete strangers coming up to him in the street telling him he's tall and asking precisely how tall. People can be staggeringly insensitive.

It doesn't help that I'm a shortarse so if he's out with me and the DC he looks like an actual giant.

Personal remarks are uncouth. Comments about appearance relating to choices someone has made (eg lipstick colour or shiny shoes) are more safely a compliment.

formerbabe Sun 28-Jun-15 10:19:00

I'm 5'3" ...no one has ever commented confused

lemmein Sun 28-Jun-15 10:23:53

I find that men do this more. Male friends of mine always comment on my appearance, mostly positive but it still fucks me off! I mostly reply 'thank you for complimenting my random DNA!!'

I'm really not that into looks and don't give a fuck if you like my eyes, arse or any other part of my anatomy confused

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now