Talk

Advanced search

To think the Kurds deserve some recognition.

(14 Posts)
Aermingers Sun 28-Jun-15 00:20:08

They're practically single handedly beating off ISIS. They have put up with some terrible treatment over the years including genocide in Iraq and awful oppression of their language and customs in Turkey. And now they're facing it again from ISIS. AIBU to think that we really need to start pressing for some kind of Kurdistani homeland? Perhaps devolved from Turkey?

hesterton Sun 28-Jun-15 00:21:48

Kurds in Iraq had a terrible time under Sadam Hussein too.

Aermingers Sun 28-Jun-15 00:23:44

^^Yep. See genocide above.

Stinkersmum Sun 28-Jun-15 00:25:08

Absolutely. I've got nothing but admiration for them.

hiddenhome Sun 28-Jun-15 00:25:20

Yes, they're awesome and deserve some serious help and support.

MrsTerryPratchett Sun 28-Jun-15 00:28:53

And the Kurdish women fighters. They know what they are fighting for and what they are risking. Incredibly brave.

KenAdams Sun 28-Jun-15 00:29:42

They're fighting and making a difference. Good on them.

hiddenhome Sun 28-Jun-15 00:37:44

I wonder why they don't receive more assistance from the west.

Pantone363 Sun 28-Jun-15 00:39:28

Yes yes yes

I thought this earlier after reading the news reports

meiisme Sun 28-Jun-15 00:39:53

Well, yes, a Kurdish homeland is long overdue, but giving all Kurds one piece of land is not going to be that easy an solution, I think. There are many different factions (political, cultural, language) among the Kurdish people, who have fought a painful civil war not too long ago for control over the Kurdish autonomous zone in Iraq ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraqi_Kurdish_Civil_War ) and many people still feel divided along those lines, even if fighting ISIS is bringing them together at this moment. Also, relationships with the larger minorities in Kurdish (controlled) territory are not always that positive ( www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/02/17/in-kirkuk-the-epicenter-of-iraq-s-next-civil-war.html ). Not to say this means that creating a Kurdish homeland is a bad idea, just not that simple to realise, even if you look at it only from a Kurdish perspective.

Dontlaugh Sun 28-Jun-15 00:41:46

I've a notion they are receiving significant help from the West, perhaps I'm wrong? Arms supplied and military training.
Otherwise they'd be wiped out by now.

DioneTheDiabolist Sun 28-Jun-15 00:44:23

YANBU OP. My aunt spent some time with the Kurdish women fighters last year. She said that their strength, bravery and spirit were breath taking.

Aermingers Sun 28-Jun-15 00:51:41

I believe they are being armed, being trained and backed up by air strikes by the West.

I don't know, maybe it would be politically unwise to promise them anything until ISIS is defeated. It might make allies like Turkey jumpy. But I do hope long term something can be done for them.

Aermingers Sun 28-Jun-15 00:58:36

Also Kurds are Muslims, and Sunni Muslims. So are Turkey. And they show a really good example of tolerant, progressive Islam. I think they are a drop in the ocean as far as Islam is concerned. But I think they, like Tunisia, should really be supported.

I wouldn't go on holiday to Tunisia, but I want to see them having economies which are successful and keep proving that Islamism doesn't provide a better way of life. I'm not sure how that can be done? E-commerce?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now