Talk

Advanced search

to feel a bit cheesed off....

(11 Posts)
goshhhhhh Sat 27-Jun-15 23:52:04

We are a close family & just been informed that a family member will be getting married abroad in a couple of summers time. They said they reckon it will be about 2k per person - but I reckon more as Sumner hols. I feel a bit cheesed off as I can't justify the cost for 4 of us and I don't really see why I should save up for a wedding or ( have my holiday planned for me (i know I don't have to go), esp as bride said basically the guests are paying for the wedding....my dh has told me to take a chill pill...

WorraLiberty Sat 27-Jun-15 23:54:50

If you know you don't have to go, I don't understand the problem?

Close family or not, it's just a wedding. You don't have to attend and you can obviously wish them all the best and even send a gift and card if you want to.

Wideopenspace Sat 27-Jun-15 23:55:21

Don't go...

HaleMary Sun 28-Jun-15 00:00:55

It's still just a invitation, OP, not a subpoena, the same as it would have been if they'd booked a slot at the local registry office and the function room at the pub.

goshhhhhh Sun 28-Jun-15 00:00:56

I won't be going but it was expressed as an expectation that people would go as there is time to save. Also we are a close family & this in my mind (which I know automatically makes me unreasonable) would be a family celebration e.g. a welcoming into the family. I suppose I'm disappointed as I would love to be part of the celebration but just can't see how I could justify that kind of expenditure.

AuntyMag10 Sun 28-Jun-15 00:01:59

Yanbu, at that expense they can't just expect you to attend.

HaleMary Sun 28-Jun-15 00:04:41

Well, presumably the wedding involves one family member and one person who isn't, and who perhaps has other ideas about his or her wedding? Not everyone sees their marriage as joining someone else's 'close' family - I certainly didn't - so perhaps the family member's husband/wife to be actually wanted a wedding abroad to limit the invasion of the in laws?

goshhhhhh Sun 28-Jun-15 00:09:26

Possibly. We certainly don't live in each other's pockets , we just get in very well when we see each other. I just think maybe values are different which is fair enough.

Stinkersmum Sun 28-Jun-15 00:11:01

2k per person? Where is it happening, Necker Island??

goshhhhhh Sun 28-Jun-15 00:16:43

Can't say where as it will identify me & I suspect they are on here . Will be in school hols which will up the price & my two will be over 12. This would be more than we spent on our entire wedding including honeymoon.

goshhhhhh Sun 28-Jun-15 00:17:47

I know it's their choice just sad we won't be part of it. I'll just have to suck it up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now