Talk

Advanced search

You should only adjust your accent at job interviews

(53 Posts)
Hannahouse Sat 27-Jun-15 20:17:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Pipbin Sat 27-Jun-15 20:20:15

Why would you change it for a job interview?

Is she a person who picks up accents quickly? I change mine to mirror who I'm talking to. It's completely sub-conscious.

Floggingmolly Sat 27-Jun-15 20:20:54

Why would you adjust it during interviews? Presumably you'd have to resume your normal one if you get the job...

SurlyCue Sat 27-Jun-15 20:21:25

What is your AIBU? I dont understand why her accent is your business. People's accent's naturally change when they move somewhere different, should they all check with you beforehand to see whether you approve of their new accent?

MiriamLitman Sat 27-Jun-15 20:21:45

Ok. I admit I have a telephone accent.
It doesn't make me a bad person.
Does it?

CrohnicallyAspie Sat 27-Jun-15 20:22:35

It could be a natural thing as she has been here for a while and picked up a different way of speaking?

Or if she works in a school it could be a more conscious thing- I have quite a strong local accent when I'm at home or talking to friends. But i am very aware that I am supposed to be modelling for the children and they need to hear sounds clearly for writing (infants-phonics). So I make the effort to speak clearly while at work. Over the years this has become more second nature, I am not even aware of the switch and it takes more effort to speak with my accent at work than without it!

crustsaway Sat 27-Jun-15 20:24:03

I have a telephone voice.
I have a work voice.
I have a voice I use with close friends.

Not sure it's any of your business though.

ShatnersBassoon Sat 27-Jun-15 20:26:38

I have a phone voice. I sound like Victoria Derbyshire on the phone (and probably in job interviews!) , and Victoria Wood the rest of the time grin

thatstoast Sat 27-Jun-15 20:26:51

Apparently not even the Queen speaks in an RP accent (aka The Queen's English) these days...

RattieofCatan Sat 27-Jun-15 20:35:15

Or maybe hher accent has just changed?! Mine changes depending on the accents of those I'm around a lot. I sounded positively aussie when I lived with a bunch of Australians a few years back. Went all northern when I worked up north. I've picked up some words in an Irish accent since working for an Irish woman. It's entirely accidental, I don't purposely do it, could easily be the same for this person!

And actually, I entirely disagree with your title, I'd never change my accent fôr a job interview, surely that's misrepresenting yourself?

PuppyMonkey Sat 27-Jun-15 20:37:39

A job interview sounds precisely the situation where you shouldn't put on a different accent. confused

What if you got the job and had to speak in your normal voice when you started.

Also I don't understand this thread.

hiddenhome Sat 27-Jun-15 20:40:18

It's up to her how she speaks. Perhaps she's happy with her new way of speaking.

yorkshapudding Sat 27-Jun-15 20:42:14

Why on earth would you do a fake accent for a job interview?! If you got the job at some point you'd be caught out and they'd think you were mad. Reminds me of that episode of Friends where Ross gets a teaching job and for some reason puts on a really terrible British accent grin

mugglingalong Sat 27-Jun-15 20:44:56

DH changes his accent completely subconsciously when he speaks to different people, except now it does reach his consciousness as the dc fall around in laughter! It is mildly annoying but he doesn't do it on purpose.

ExcuseMyEyebrows Sat 27-Jun-15 20:52:20

Is she Lulu?

DawnOfTheDoggers Sat 27-Jun-15 20:52:39

A1Mum Sat 27-Jun-15 20:53:24

YABU to be bothered about it. It's not your life. If you really want to work you will do what makes you more employable. If you need a job you adapt according to employees needs. It matters not that 'you; like her accent, this fact will not help her attaining a job.

I love the Welsh accent but a few weeks ago I heard a person with a Welsh accent reading out the news on a main radio station. At first I thought it was a joke but then I realise it wasn't, I was quite shocked. Mainly because I couldn't make out half of what he was saying to my untrained ear. So, even though I love certain accents, they are not necessarily appropriate for certain vocations. Hence adapting where necessary is a good idea in my opinion.

quietbatperson Sat 27-Jun-15 20:54:19

Hannahouse Sat 27-Jun-15 20:54:57

Hannahouse Sat 27-Jun-15 20:55:46

crustsaway Sat 27-Jun-15 20:55:56

I also do varying degrees of poshness or speaking "properly" depending on who I'm speaking to. When with close friends Im as common as muck grin

RoboticSealpup Sat 27-Jun-15 20:57:18

Accents can change depending on the situation and the person you are speaking to. That doesn't necessarily mean that the person is faking anything. I have at least four different ways of speaking and they are all my own.

crustsaway Sat 27-Jun-15 20:58:09

Bless her OP. Hopefully she'll find a balance along the way. Seems like you're saying you liked the broken English, I also think it's endearing and funny.

NobodyLivesHere Sat 27-Jun-15 20:59:16

So you shouldnt read the news in a Welsh accent A1mum??

MegMurry Sat 27-Jun-15 20:59:45

I interview. A lot.

A regional accent doesn't really register with me, but I have to admit a really cockney, glottal stop accent puts me right off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now