Talk

Advanced search

Ive had a horrendous day and I just want to cry.... now people coming round for dinner. ...

(35 Posts)
DunnTrying Sat 27-Jun-15 19:03:16

All week Ive been battling an unbelievably painful tooth abscess, finally saw an emergency dentist Thursday and was put on super strong antibiotics. These are making me feel rubbish, I'm still in ridiculous pain, and today my period started. I've been on the verge of tears all day, after also a hellish week at work and children been so difficult all day. I want to sit in a corner, eat chocolate, drink wine and cry my eyes out. But instead we have a friend coming round for dinner, super excited at introducing his new girlfriend, so I've not the heart to cancel but sod it, aibu to get a take away.... ps I also look like a lopsided gerbil.... sad

hiddenhome Sat 27-Jun-15 19:04:56

Can't you phone then to cancel?

bellybuttonfluffy Sat 27-Jun-15 19:05:28

Get a takeaway and drink lots of wine (unless you can't due to antibiotics). If it gets too much, feign more tooth pain/migrane and head to bed leaving your partner to entertain!

BlueBananas Sat 27-Jun-15 19:06:18

I think a nasty tooth abscess is a perfectly reasonable reason to cancel dinner plans!
Take care of yourself!

namechangefortoday543 Sat 27-Jun-15 19:07:12

Just cancel !
blimey you sound very poorly flowers
Ps be careful about wine if you are on Metronidazole - severe reaction !

Yarp Sat 27-Jun-15 19:07:13

God yes, get a takeaway. Personally, I'd cancel.

paxtecum Sat 27-Jun-15 19:07:17

Can your DP cook?

NobodyLivesHere Sat 27-Jun-15 19:09:38

I would cancel and a decent friend would be very understanding. I had an abscess this time last year and I wanted to cut off a limb to distract from the pain. Poor you!

Cheby Sat 27-Jun-15 19:10:26

I feel for you OP. This was actually me 3 weeks ago. Similarities are uncanny! Major dental infection (I was off work), up to the eyeballs on codeine, on amoxicillin and metronidazole, feeling awful and still in dreadful pain, period arrived early and I had friends due up for the weekend.

I didn't cancel but I wish I had. And actually they felt awful for being there when I was so unwell. I would honestly just cancel, it's not like you would even be able to eat anything yourself so your guests might feel uncomfortable in any case.

DunnTrying Sat 27-Jun-15 19:11:33

DH can cook but being a grumpy git and won't. I suggested cancelling he said we couldn't so I said take away would have to do. He is very much of the view I've just got to harden up. He's not normally an arse, actually normally very lovely, but today he has taken to the role of arse splendidly!!!

TerryTheGreenHorse Sat 27-Jun-15 19:11:46

Oh I feel for you, I had one last week and it's the last thing I would need.

If you really feel you can't cancel I agree with the takeaway idea and slope off to bed as soon as possible.

I had my tooth out in the end. Yuck.

DunnTrying Sat 27-Jun-15 19:14:23

Yes I'm on metronidazole and codeine as well. Impacted wisdom tooth that is on emergency referral for removal but got to get abscess and infection gone first sad

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 27-Jun-15 19:14:32

Takeaway, lots of wine, explain about your tooth when guests arrive and hope for expect sympathy.

If I were your guests I'd think you'd been heroic.

DustBunnyFarmer Sat 27-Jun-15 19:18:27

In your shoes, I think I'd want to kick your husband hard in his goolies and then have a chat about "hardening up". Either he cooks or you get takeaway. Then turn in early if you need to. Anyone who was a decent friend would understand.

tobysmum77 Sat 27-Jun-15 19:21:40

Just cancel and tell dh to stop being an arse. It will be really embarrassing for the new girlfriend when you obviously aren't well. Tooth infections make you feel utterly shit

tobysmum77 Sat 27-Jun-15 19:22:12

but avoid the wine shock

answersonapostcardplease Sat 27-Jun-15 19:22:58

Tell Dh to fuck off and cancel. Selfish tit.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 27-Jun-15 19:27:27

if you are taking metronidazole for your tooth abscess alcohol is a big no no!

dementedma Sat 27-Jun-15 19:28:55

No wine with metronidazole! You will throw up spectacularly!

TheoriginalLEM Sat 27-Jun-15 19:28:59

ahhh i see you are sad this is one ab that really doesn't mix with alcohol. It will make you really ill

scratchandsniff Sat 27-Jun-15 19:30:36

I think I'd take myself off to bed and leave DH to it he didn't let me cancel. He's being a twat. I'm sure your friends will understand. They'll probably stay in and shag snuggle on the sofa grin

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 27-Jun-15 19:32:59

Cancel, and don't touch alcohol with those antibiotics, you will vom and vom and vom more.

Blu Sat 27-Jun-15 19:33:22

Sounds absolutely grim.

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL with that ab.

florascotia Sat 27-Jun-15 19:33:24

To repeat the earlier poster's important warning. From the NHS website:

" Alcohol can interact with certain medicines.
In the case of Metronidazole:
this medicine interacts with alcohol
You must not drink any alcohol while you are taking this medicine and for at least two days after you stop taking this medicine."
www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Bacterial%20infections&medicine=Metronidazole&preparation=Metronidazole%20400mg%20tablets

NHS also warns about codeine plus alcohol:
"Taking opioid painkillers can cause drowsiness and low blood pressure (hypotension), and drinking alcohol while taking them will increase these effects. If you're affected, do not drink any alcohol while taking opioid painkillers."
www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/867.aspx?categoryid=73&subcategoryid=103

namechangefortoday543 Sat 27-Jun-15 19:35:37

I would just go to bed tell DH to fuck off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now