Talk

Advanced search

To beg for the drugs!

(11 Posts)
Cadenza1818 Sat 27-Jun-15 19:01:47

Firstly I want to say, I'm aware this comes across as a bit princess. There are plenty of ppl who are single parents who just get on...but,
I've got my second bout of tonsillitis in a month.as in totally bed ridden tonsillitis. temp currently 39.1. So last month I did the right thing, waited a week before going to doc by which time my blood pressure was up and I could barely swallow water.
This week my husband is working away and I have no other support. I have to drive kids to school and feel too woozy to get behind wheel and just don't know how I'll cope.
So...Shall I go doc tomorrow explain situation and beg for ab or let it run its course. It does seem to be bacterial .is this aibu?

Cadenza1818 Sat 27-Jun-15 19:02:45

Ps not sure it's relevant but three kids under 5

RavioliOnToast Sat 27-Jun-15 19:50:54

I would ask. see if you can get a telephone appointment? all they can say is no, it's worth a go.

Finola1step Sat 27-Jun-15 19:52:56

Yep, two bouts of tonsillitis in one month? You need the antibiotics, my dear.

Tutu1000 Sat 27-Jun-15 19:55:32

I would go to the dr's asap. In the last 10 months I have had tonsillitis 3 times and another infection that they weren't sure what it was. I was bed ridden with all of them. Each one I left a week before finally giving in and going to the dr's. By the 4th infection the GP told me off for leaving it so long as she nearly sent me to hospital. I was not able to look after the kids at all and I only have 2 who are older than your kids. Definately go to the dr's and ask for anti-biotics and then see if there is anyone who can help out with the kids so you can rest as much as possible.

Really hope you are feeling better soon.

Cadenza1818 Sat 27-Jun-15 19:59:08

Thanks. The reason I asked is that last time the doc refused ab saying they weren't effective. was made to feel silly. The second doc gave them straight away.

Purplepoodle Sat 27-Jun-15 19:59:43

Omg no you are not being unreasonable. I fainted with last bout and oh works away. I always get anti b over the phone from doc or out of hours as it's hell. Also start loading with ibuprofen and in between ibuprofen doses take co-codamol (I get stronger ones from gp). Means I can at least get kids to school

crazykat Sat 27-Jun-15 20:01:10

I'd be at the ooh gp as soon as it opens in the morning. Refuse leave without decent antibiotics. I did the same as you last time I had a throat infection and waited till I was on my knees with pain and fever before seeing the gp and ended up on penicillin for two weeks to get shot of it.

My dh works away during the week and I know how hard it is looking after young kids when you're ill. Don't suffer any longer than you absolutely have to.

Purplepoodle Sat 27-Jun-15 20:01:45

Tbf your gp is right but mine said you don't know if it's strep or tonsillitis so he plays it on the safe side incase it's strep as healthcare trust won't do the test. Also take some probiotics as I find anti bs mess my tummy up

trashcanjunkie Sat 27-Jun-15 20:28:01

We've just had tonsillitis again here. As I remember the doctor said bacterial has to be treated with ab, so if you know it is, I can't see why you wouldn't just be given them.

DisappointedOne Sat 27-Jun-15 23:12:00

We've just had tonsillitis again here. As I remember the doctor said bacterial has to be treated with ab, so if you know it is, I can't see why you wouldn't just be given them. Only way to check is with thorough tests. You can't "know" it's bacterial any other way. And antibiotics will do nothing for a virus.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now