Talk

Advanced search

to think this is just bad dress sense and to have suggested DH got changed?

(101 Posts)
LuluJakey1 Sat 27-Jun-15 18:41:36

Lovely day today and we decided to do a walk along the sea front to the next village where there is a nice junky market every weekend and places to have lunch and then walk back. DS ready in pushchair. I am dressed in blue cotton dress and flat sandals and pretty cardi.

DH comes downstairs in grey cotton shorts that are below his knees, washed out and baggy and do nothing for him except make him look fat and slobby(which he isn't) a once white t-shirt which is now grimy looking and shapeless, navy blue deck shoes and one grey sock which went up to his calf. He has got lots of nice things. I said he should get changed into something nicer and he looked hurt. Couldn't see what was wrong with it at all- including the one grey sock which he was wearing because the deck shoe rubs on his toe.

In the end after 'words' he changed into sort of slate blue shorts, a dark blue t shirt and walking sandals ad looked 1 million times better. He says he was quite happy and only changed to suit me and I should have left him to wear what he liked.

The5DayChicken Sat 27-Jun-15 18:43:17

You're dictating what he wears to a market? He was comfortable. Leave him alone Hyacinth.

Lovesyoungdreamers Sat 27-Jun-15 18:43:54

I am pretty live and let live when it comes to clothes but I would refuse to be seen with someone wearing shorts and just one sock grin

LashesandLipstick Sat 27-Jun-15 18:44:16

YANBU. My boyfriend tried to wear socks with crocs recently, I was horrified.

nothingbuttreble Sat 27-Jun-15 18:44:51

YANBU.

msgrinch Sat 27-Jun-15 18:45:17

He can wear what he wants, you're not his mum. If a woman posted that her husband had told her to change, there would be cries of "abuse".

FarFromAnyRoad Sat 27-Jun-15 18:45:51

Up to the sock I'd have let him be - if he wants to be mistaken for someone who lives in his car that's got to be his right. But one sock? If the Style Police had been out he'd have been nabbed and bang to rights too!

Quasicrystals1456 Sat 27-Jun-15 18:46:09

No idea but your home town sounds lovely envy

SylvaniansAtEase Sat 27-Jun-15 18:46:24

I was all ready to say YABU but... one grey sock?! One sock because only one shoe rubs?!

OP you did him a massive favour. And yes if I did similar I'd expect my DH to say something too.

APlaceOnTheCouch Sat 27-Jun-15 18:47:20

YABU from a 'everyone has the right to wear what they want' pov but I wouldn't go out with someone wearing only one sock - wtf?! grin

Wideopenspace Sat 27-Jun-15 18:48:16

YWBU until you mentioned the one sock, then YWNBU in the slightest.

Although if the menz tried to tell me what to weat, I'd go batshit...

MikeEhrmentraut Sat 27-Jun-15 18:50:20

I'm going to be in a minority here and say that if you go out with your significant other you sort of owe it to them (and yourself in general ) to look decent. I wouldn't dream of going out with my fiancee looking like crap and she would feel the same. Surely you'd want to look nice for them ?

MemphisBella Sat 27-Jun-15 18:51:08

I thought YWBU until the one sock comment. That's a bit odd!

Maybe he needs some new deck shoes!

GREYCROW Sat 27-Jun-15 18:51:26

I know, I detest it when my period tells me what to do... (Eat whatever I want)

LuluJakey1 Sat 27-Jun-15 18:51:58

It was like a middle aged man's work sock. I don't know where he got it from, I didn't even know he had a sock like that. grin He probably doesn't have a pair because this house is one of those houses that sucks socks into a vortex and they are never seen again.

Alibabsandthe40Musketeers Sat 27-Jun-15 18:52:21

YANBU

I always tell DH what to wear, he has lovely things, always picks the baggy, old, knackered items. grin

Velociraptor Sat 27-Jun-15 18:53:00

YABU. If DH was planning to go out like that he frequently goes for much worse outfits I might mildly take the piss, but then we would just go out and enjoy our day, given that he is an adult, and is free to choose his own clothes.

teeththief Sat 27-Jun-15 18:53:41

He was wearing ONE sock? That actually made me laugh out loud. Up until that point I was 'meh it's his choice', but one sock??

bloodyteenagers Sat 27-Jun-15 18:57:25

If he had walked down my stairs I wouldn't have had to say a thing. The fact that I was pmsl would have given it away.

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Sat 27-Jun-15 18:57:57

I would have done the same. I am very image conscious. It doesn't have to be designer wear, but at least look smart.
Yes people can where what they please but not if they're making a show of me, and if that makes me shallow. I'll wear the cap

Euphemia Sat 27-Jun-15 18:59:46

My DH was heading out to B&Q today in cargo shorts and this ancient, battered pair of Cotton Traders shoes. I suggested he change the shoes.

"They must be heinous, you normally let me go out in anything!" grin

Monkay Sat 27-Jun-15 19:02:16

YNBU.

My other half looked like a bag of rags up until a week ago, he has new clothes. He is just untidy and never seems to look smart, even in a dinner suit he looks like he threw it on.

However he will tell you I am always over dressed, and this may be true although I am sat in a pair of leggin's and a floaty chiffon top as I type this, hardly a sequin dress ;)

NoahVale Sat 27-Jun-15 19:18:27

yanbu, me and dh always ask each other if we look ok if we go out? well, not always but ykwim

NRomanoff Sat 27-Jun-15 19:51:11

Yabu if dh told me what to wear he would get told where to go.

Totality22 Sat 27-Jun-15 20:09:44

I'd have just mentioned the sock - IE asked him to put on a PAIR.

Out of interest does your DP often wonder out in just a sock??? (as opposed to a pair of socks of course!!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now