Talk

Advanced search

To ask for a hand to hold?

(4 Posts)
smellsofelderberries Sat 27-Jun-15 15:11:05

Went for a smear this morning. I have had quite a few before and they don't generally bother me. This time though, as the nurse was opening the speculum I felt myself tear a little and I flinched. She told me to breath and relax and I could feel her digging the swab around (much more violently than I've had in the past. It felt like she was scrubbing my cervix). Anyway, got home 5 minutes later to find myself bleeding quite a lot of bright red, fresh blood. Have been in tears since. DH has been really good and we went back to the surgery and I have filed a complaint but they wouldn't fit me in to see the Dr again and I have been told that the practice manager will call me on Monday.
I feel completely violated and don't know what the procedure will be to resolve this. I can't stop shaking and feel sick. I am still bleeding red blood 5 hours later and am having cramps and a bit of internal discomfort.
Has this happened to anyone else before? What should I do? We are also TTC and I'm in my fertile week but now DH is scared to touch me and I feel sick at the thought of it.

WorraLiberty Sat 27-Jun-15 15:13:58

Aww how horrible for you OP thanks

Yes, I've bled once after a smear that wasn't as gentle as the ones I'd had in the past.

WRT what you should do, I would probably let it heal before having sex in case you risk infection.

bonzo77 Sat 27-Jun-15 15:18:47

Yanbu. That's awful. And I'm sorry to say this but the sample might well be contaminated by blood cells and you'll have to go back. So don't get alarmed if they call you in. Though I'd definitely ask someone else to do it next time.

smellsofelderberries Sat 27-Jun-15 15:59:42

Thanks for the replies. I hope is doesn't come to that bonzo77. Have calmed down a bit now and am just going to take a few notes now I think so that when the manager calls on Monday I can present him with facts instead of just crying. Hoping I'm taken seriously. Thanks again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now