Advanced search

To worry about getting my ds to school next year

(19 Posts)
Loric Fri 26-Jun-15 22:19:41

I have several chronic illnesses that flair unpredictability. Some of which make it impossible to leave the house. This year my son's been at an Infant school which has been fantastic and they've been really understanding (to the pont of either driving me to the Dr's after I've dropped him off or if it's really bad calling an ambulance). We've had the first parents meeting at his new junior school this week and they've really pushed home the attendance thing. I worried as to how to approach them about the fact that some days I simply won't be physically able to get him there. His current school is just over a mile a way and the new school is a mile and a half away. If I had a way of getting him there when I'm incapable of course I'd use it but all of my family start work well before school starts and as he'd only started the infant school in October when all the friendship groups are already set.

The only person I actually vaguely know is my old art teacher who has a daughter in the same year but I feel I can't ask her to be my standby as I've only recently told her that that I used to be her student 11 years ago. It's tenuous link and I do to ruin the only vague friendship I have there.

I've just worried that by declaring that some days will be impossible for me to walk a mile and a half will be seen as me being difficult with the new school. The way the current school found out was by having to ring ambulances and things which is scary for my son. I just want an easy way of telling them my issues and and finding a solution I guess.

NotAnotherNewNappy Fri 26-Jun-15 22:30:38

Would your illness Classic as a disability? Would you be eligible for help that way?

NotAnotherNewNappy Fri 26-Jun-15 22:30:57

Classify not classic!

textfan Fri 26-Jun-15 22:33:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lilicat1013 Fri 26-Jun-15 22:34:27

Is there any way you would qualify for school transport for your son? My son has a taxi to school because he has additional needs but when they were deciding that he qualified for transport for school and for nursery before the fact that I am epileptic was brought up as a qualifying factor.

I am what rules are around school transport but it might be worth finding out. Is there anyone official who could make a case for you as it seems it would be a good solution and mean you son could always attend school and be there on time.

I think you do need to speak to the school about it so they are aware of the situation, they can't help if they aren't aware.

Iggi999 Fri 26-Jun-15 22:34:32

Yes is there not a way to get a funded taxi to school lots of students do this though I'm not sure whether that's based on disability.

Iggi999 Fri 26-Jun-15 22:35:32

Cross posts. Your son has an entitlement to education so there must be some help available (surely)

rollonthesummer Fri 26-Jun-15 22:37:51

Staff from the school drove you to the doctor-wow!

Attendance is a biggy at the moment, so you do need to tell them and explain the situation. Why don't you make an appointment with the head?

If it's classed as a disability-would you be entitled to funding? Could you get a taxi for your child?

manicinsomniac Fri 26-Jun-15 22:38:22

Are you financially secure/well off? If so, quite a few parents at our school use taxis to do drop off and pick up, either because they can't drive or because they can't leave work on time.

Loric Fri 26-Jun-15 22:39:12

I've never even considered it before because I've always tried to minimise it but I honestly would now where to start

missymayhemsmum Fri 26-Jun-15 22:42:59

You have a disability, but you also have a responsibility to get your son to school. Could you use a taxi when you are ill? Ask the school/ council/ social services if there is a possibility of transport (long shot)? Do you get/ could you get disability benefits that would enable you to pay for transport? You may need to get a childminder to take him (and pick him up?)

Have a chat with the school, but I think you need to present it as a problem you are working out how to solve, rather than a reason why your son's attendance may be erratic.
I suggest you get yourself an initial back up plan you may need to pay for and then work on finding other parents walking/driving the same way who will probably be more than willing to help if you explain.

rowrowrowtheboat Fri 26-Jun-15 22:46:11

Talk to the school. They will be able to signpost you to help as and when you need it, depending on the services in your area. Call the school office and ask to speak to someone who will be able to give you advice. I would hedge a bet they would be pleased you've raised your concerns.

Wherediditallgoright Fri 26-Jun-15 22:51:39

Yes call a taxi on days where you are not up to it. Use a local firm you trust and give them a call to explain the situation.

Do you get DLA? You could use that towards it.

Could your child be classed as a 'carer'? This would give you more access to support for you both.

My dc have a taxi to school but that is funded due to their additional needs.

SeenSheen Fri 26-Jun-15 22:51:39

You'll have to get a taxi, just on those days I think - funded or unfunded. Your son cannot keep missing random days for the whole of his schooling time.

I certainly think you should make them aware of your illness beforehand though, although the school should probably notify them too.

Hopefully you'll soon meet other parents who you could ask or pay to drive him if you need it.

Loric Fri 26-Jun-15 22:55:07

Honesty I'm skint Im the middle of ltb and I'm surviving on £62 ctc and £13 cb a week (ds isn't his) a taxi to his school is £5 so is £20 a day. How do you apply for disability. I probably shold know how but Ive tried to hide it for so long I honestly wouldn't know where to start

Iggi999 Fri 26-Jun-15 22:59:21

Start with your GP, he/she needs to be able to support your claim for PIP (personal independence payment). If you got the money that some people use to get motability cars, you could use yours for taxis. And take them to the doctors or whatever as well as to school. Follow this link and have a look- there's a number to call to claim but I don't think it would be worth it until you know if GP will say you have serious mobility problems.

Iggi999 Fri 26-Jun-15 22:59:41

Oops, link

Electrolux Fri 26-Jun-15 23:05:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cestlavielife Sat 27-Jun-15 00:07:52

Is there a closer school or could you move closer ?

But make a disability claim.
ask about local childminders who take kids to school.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: