To be a bit scared of travelling

(17 Posts)
namechangedincase23 Fri 26-Jun-15 19:36:23

The horror of today is just dreadful.

I know it's irrational but I'm off to Paris next week and I'm actually a bit scared.

I know there is a tiny chance of anything happening but it's the first time DH and I have left DS. We are leaving him for 4 nights and I am so worried about the "what if something happens to us".

I just don't see what can be done to protect against these random attacks. They could happen anywhere (so I appreciate it's irrational to be worried about travelling when it could just as likely happen at home) but France has been attacked and Paris is a big city.

I know we can't live in fear but AIBU to be a bit worried and not be able to shake it? I just can;t see how the world can combat this threat sad

meglet Fri 26-Jun-15 19:44:30

you've got to get it in perspective, somehow sad .

I know that millions of people have travelled in and out of London every week, for years, quite safely. but I still panic when we have days out up there and have the wobbles about going late summer.

awful days like today do make me want to hibernate a bit.

namechangedincase23 Fri 26-Jun-15 19:48:21

I know sad It's just so horrible. And I don't see how it will end.

I need to get a grip but a bit of me wants to take DH, DS and live in a log cabin in the middle of nowhere.

Stopandlook Fri 26-Jun-15 19:52:10

Yup, I feel the same today. But this is what the bastards want and we must not be terrorised. Finding it hard today though. RIP innocents.

viva100 Fri 26-Jun-15 19:59:15

YANBU. I'd be worried too but it wouldn't stop me going (not because I'd want to make point but because the chance of anything happening to you is still very very small). DH and I work in the City, take the tube every morning....I can't lie and say this stuff is never at the back of our minds

RedToothBrush Fri 26-Jun-15 20:11:18

You are more likely to be hit by a car or have an accident on the motorway.

Petradreaming Fri 26-Jun-15 20:20:38

Lived in Belfast through out the troubles. Was never hurt. It's horrible and scary but so unlikely to happen. Live your life. Don't let them terrorise you. They feed on fear.

Timetodrive Fri 26-Jun-15 20:31:05

We drive to the south of France every other summer this is the first year I feel a bit sick about it. Went to Tunisia many years ago and it was lovely and friendly, not sure how the country is going to recover. Also been to Kuwait with work and again very friendly, today has just been horrific.

NotMyChashkaChai Fri 26-Jun-15 20:41:42

I'm flying tomorrow and completely irrationally worrying somewhat. We are going to a country which is nominally muslim but doesn't have particularly high numbers of tourists. I know intellectually something like this could happen any time any place (and yes I get the tube to work too) but it's horrible to see events like today just before going on holiday (not of course that there is a good time to see them). and there seems to be no end in sight. But we really can't live in fear.

TheRachel Fri 26-Jun-15 20:46:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Flippidyflap Fri 26-Jun-15 20:47:08

I feel the same despite knowing it's irrational. I hate going to London now and will actively avoid the tube and on a recent trip to Paris I had to fight every fear to get up the Eiffel Tower. I was so relieved to get back down again! I think it's having children that's done it to me - I visited New York 2 weeks after September 11th and wasn't bothered in the slightest!

redbinneo Fri 26-Jun-15 20:50:20

Is Tunisia on your itinerary?

namechangedincase23 Fri 26-Jun-15 20:54:05

No, not Tunisia, just Paris so it is irrational.

I agree with Flippidy that having children makes you much more risk adverse. I'm not worried about me as such, I'm worried about something happening to me because then I wouldn't be there for him. If that makes sense.

If I was childfree and twenty I don't think it would bother me, but it really has made me a bit nervous. And of course, desparately sad for the victims and their families.

happybubblebrain Fri 26-Jun-15 20:57:32

I would feel far more scared living in a log cabin. Have you never watched a American horror movie? Log cabins feature highly. Too much isolation.

Things get scarier as you get older and after you have children, I agree. I think its easier to just not watch the news now.

namechangedincase23 Fri 26-Jun-15 20:59:27

Ha. It would be just my luck to move to the log cabin and be mudered by a demon that had been disturbed by us using the cursed well in the grounds.

Ohanarama Fri 26-Jun-15 21:01:47

Yanbu, it is all ver sad and scary.
I went to Paris this year shortly after the attacks and it did cast a shadow over the trip which I'd long been looking forward too. I'm an anxious traveller at the best of times.
I must say however that when we were there there were thousands of tourists milling around looking as though they'd no cares in the world which helped put it in perspective for me a bit. There was also a high army presence and airport-like security at the Eiffel tower. Hope you manage to relax and enjoy x

namechangedincase23 Fri 26-Jun-15 21:03:09

Thanks Ohanarama - that's reassuring regarding the security thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now