Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To leave DDs (5&8) alone for 5 mins?

(75 Posts)
dontrunwithscissors Fri 26-Jun-15 15:15:34

My husband has just been made redundant, which means we will have to survive with just 1 car. The DDs's school is over 2 miles away so DH will have to keep the car during the day. (There are no buses he can get and while they could walk when the weather is nice, we are in N Scotland and I wouldn't want them walking day-to-day).

I can get a bus into work, but it's a 15 minute walk to the bus stop and I have a rheumatological condition that makes walking painful. Some days I will manage it fine, but on other days walking that far would leave me in pain.

WIBU to get my DH to drop me off near the bus stop while the DDs stayed at home on a morning? He would be out 5-10 mins, depending on whether he took me all the way, or dropped me off 5 minutes walk away.

DD1 (8) is very, very sensible and mature. She has said she doesn't mind being left for 5 minutes. DD2 (5.5) also happy. I can't decide, however, whether they're a bit too young. AIBU?

formerbabe Fri 26-Jun-15 15:17:01

Absolutely not IMO...so many things could potentially go wrong.

Number3cometome Fri 26-Jun-15 15:17:22

Why can't they get in the car with you?

BreacaBoudica Fri 26-Jun-15 15:17:26

Why can't your kids go in the car with you both while he drops you at the bus stop?!

woowoo22 Fri 26-Jun-15 15:17:39

I wouldn't, would take them in the car.

steppemum Fri 26-Jun-15 15:18:12

8 yes, 5 no.

My youngest are 7 and 10. I leave the 10 yo, I don't yet leave the 7 yo, even for 5 minutes

dontrunwithscissors Fri 26-Jun-15 15:18:55

They can come with us. I was just pondering at what point others think it's OK to pop out for 5 mins.

steppemum Fri 26-Jun-15 15:19:05

I sometimes take ds to the station, I am gone 15 minutes, I take the 7 yo with me every time, she just gets in the car in PJs or PJs and coat

WorraLiberty Fri 26-Jun-15 15:20:28

No matter what way you look at it, it's bound to be a bit more than 5 minutes.

I would leave a sensible 8yr old but not the 5yr old.

It's not fair for your DD to have that responsibility.

dontrunwithscissors Fri 26-Jun-15 15:21:22

We can just bundle them into the car with a cup full of Cheerios like we have to do at the moment when we're running around like lunatics to get out of the house for work. Did I mention I'm a bit relieved that DH will be a SAHP?

vvega Fri 26-Jun-15 15:22:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheFlis12345 Fri 26-Jun-15 15:24:43

No way. If, God forbid, your husband had an accident driving back they could be left for hours before anyone found out they were there.

Number3cometome Fri 26-Jun-15 15:24:45

Chances are, you'd leave them at home for 5 mins and they would be fine.

Thing is, what if something did happen? What if there was an accident (car or at home), what if the car broke down? What if there was traffic?
What if someone knocked the door whilst you were out?

All sorts of reasons that I would say no, not just yet.

I leave DS (12) and DD (8) at home whilst I go shopping etc and I am only just comfortable with that over the last year.

HazleNutt Fri 26-Jun-15 15:28:26

"If, God forbid, your husband had an accident driving back they could be left for hours " - you always hear this argument in similar threads. But if the children are in the car as well, they would also be in this accident. I would think being home alone is a preferable option in this case, no?

Gobbolinothewitchscat Fri 26-Jun-15 15:30:14

No confused. They can go in the car with you, can't they? If not, for a reason I've missed, do you have a neighbour who could pop in for 10 mins or so? Maybe an older person with no DCs of their own

AnitaManeater Fri 26-Jun-15 15:31:11

I think it's unreasonable to ask even a sensible 8yr old to take responsibility for a younger sibling.

vvega Fri 26-Jun-15 15:31:15

dontrunwithscissors Fri 26-Jun-15 15:33:02

My gut feeling was that DD2 is certainly too young, but wasn't sure whether I was out of line with the norm. A taxi wouldn't come out to us for that short a distance.

Wish I'd followed my instinct to not buy a house with poor public transport and out of walking range for the school. Ho hum.

DoJo Fri 26-Jun-15 15:33:18

I think it's more that the 8 year old would effectively be responsible for the 5 year old that is concerning - if anything did happen, even if it wasn't her fault or even preventably, would the 8 year old be able to deal with it, or deal with the guilt of not being able to help her sister?

Number3cometome Fri 26-Jun-15 15:35:50

HazleNutt

Well no, we aren't talking 5 car pile up, but any accident could delay him for long enough for something bad to happen at home.

vvega Fri 26-Jun-15 15:35:54

HazleNutt Fri 26-Jun-15 15:37:46

Well as long as the DH in question can guarantee he will have light traffic accidents only..

Number3cometome Fri 26-Jun-15 15:39:33

HazleNutt

No more than he can guarantee getting there and back safely in 5 minutes.

Best to make sure the kids are with an adult.

Uhplistrailer Fri 26-Jun-15 15:41:17

If it was a sensible 8yo on their own, I'd say yes, but I think for them to take responsibility for a 5yo is too much.

dontrunwithscissors Fri 26-Jun-15 15:41:44

Point taken.

I think the greatest danger is choking, fire, accidents at home rather than traffic accidents (It's a five min drive through our new-build housing estate where it's impossible to drive more than 20 miles an hour.). However, DH could have a heart attack behind the wheel from all the fucking stress his work is putting him under.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now